Why have a 12v refrigerator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why have a 12v refrigerator

New here but I've looked at the way your posts go and I like them. The other GD forum has too many folks that get off on tangents and don't stay on point. I just traded my 2021 Reflection 297rsts for a 303RLS 5th wheel. We had a nightmare of a delivery that included the fridge not working at all. The dealer got one from another unit and it worked fine when we returned to pick up the unit.
    Over the past couple of weeks I've been reading everything I can about these 12v refrigerators. It seems like they are very prone to problems. Why did GD as well as other manufacturers switch to these vs the gas/electric kind? Was it a cost thing or a product supply thing or something else?
    Just curious what you guys thoughts are...
    Mark & Yvonne
    2022 Reflection 303RLS
    2021 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LTZ
    B&M turnover ball
    Blue Ox Gooseneck-to-5th-Wheel Trailer Hitch Adapter

Supply and the absorption refrigerators had reliability issues
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by #1Bama View Post
      New here but I've looked at the way your posts go and I like them. The other GD forum has too many folks that get off on tangents and don't stay on point. I just traded my 2021 Reflection 297rsts for a 303RLS 5th wheel. We had a nightmare of a delivery that included the fridge not working at all. The dealer got one from another unit and it worked fine when we returned to pick up the unit.
      Over the past couple of weeks I've been reading everything I can about these 12v refrigerators. It seems like they are very prone to problems. Why did GD as well as other manufacturers switch to these vs the gas/electric kind? Was it a cost thing or a product supply thing or something else?
      Just curious what you guys thoughts are...
      Hi #1Bama, and welcome to the forum. I have considerable background on why GDRV switched to 12V compressor technology. In fact, I did the first field tests for them several years ago. Here's a list of reasons:

1. There were a very significant number of complaints that absorption refrigerators could not achieve and maintain safe food temperatures in warmer weather. This was especially true for units that were larger than 10 cubic feet. The FDA recommends that refrigerated food be kept below 40°F in order to avoid pathogenic food borne illness. Many of these larger refrigerators could not get below 45°F, even with significant modifications to ventilation systems.

When I tested the first 12V DC refrigerator which was a Norcold brand, the freezer achieved -19°F and the refrigerator got down to 29°F on the lowest settings. This is a significant increase in cooling capacity.

2. When a gas absorption refrigerator is first turned on, it typically takes 20-24 hours to reach it's lowest temperature. A 12VDC compressor refrigerator will typically reach it's minimum temperature in 8 hours or less.

3. Running down the highway with the gas supply turned on to keep the refrigerator cold is not the safest way to travel. Many of us do so because allowing our food to exceed safe temperatures isn't safe either. Check out this study I did on gas/absorption refrigerators. On a hot day, the refrigerator will exceed 40°F in about two hours, even when packed with ice.

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...d-temperatures

So owners had to choose whether they wanted to go up in a ball of flames or perish from food poisoning. Grand Design has always wanted to eliminate the need for towing with the gas turned on, and they've shared that desire with me for many years.

4. Why not just equip all units with residential refrigerators? This would work, but the infrastructure in inverters, battery banks, etc. would be cost prohibitive when compared to 12VDC refrigerators. And this is a very difficult and expensive endeavor for those who do a lot of boondocking.

5. Gas absorption refrigerators have their own inherent set of dangers. Leaking ammonia can be a significant hazard. Here's an article written by a friend of mine which explains the concerns:
      https://www.rvtravel.com/rv-leaking-ammonia-1918/

Most of the units being installed right now are Furrion brand. This is a fairly new technology for them and they are working through the bugs and desired design changes. For the most part, their units work well, and when a problem occurs, we can often recommend ways to resolve it.

It's important to note that this change has been in the works well before the Covid driven supply chain issues hit the factory. So far, Furrion has been able to keep up with the demand, and I've also heard that other brands may be available if Furrion can't keep up.

Jim

Last edited by TucsonJim; 08-28-2022, 02:56 PM.
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

First season here with ours and have been happy with it. Has an off grid setting and uses little power. Cool off quickly and stays cold. No complaints as of yet.
        Bob-O
        Imagine 2400BH | Champion 4650 Dual Fuel Generator | Solar Package | 200ah EnduroPower Lithium
        2020 Ram 1500 Laramie | 5.7L w/eTorque | S&B CAI | 3.92 Axle | 6'4" Box | 4x4 | 2" Mopar Lift | SnugTop
        Northern Colorado​

Comment

The 12 old compressor refers are much cheaper too.

But. My 2021 has the Norcold 12 cu ft ammonia fridge. And it works great. Nice and cold even on those 100 degree days in Arizona.

My previous rv hav a domestic ammonia fridge. Nice and cold on a 109 degree day in Texas.

plus they don’t need any fancy battery stuff.

That is one data point.

but if it ever quits. The $5000 price tag will likely force a change to the compressor fridge.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyStar View Post
            The 12 old compressor refers are much cheaper too.

But. My 2021 has the Norcold 12 cu ft ammonia fridge. And it works great. Nice and cold even on those 100 degree days in Arizona.

My previous rv hav a domestic ammonia fridge. Nice and cold on a 109 degree day in Texas.

plus they don’t need any fancy battery stuff.

That is one data point.

but if it ever quits. The $5000 price tag will likely force a change to the compressor fridge.
            Ya, my Norcold 12cuft absorption fridge works great. Wonder why others don't?
            2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
            Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

I wonder if they could build a compressor fridge that use a similar cooling vented to the outside vs the inside. This would help reduce the cooling load on the AC units.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

I'm sure the new 12v fridge will cool down much quicker than my previous absorption one. My concern is all of the horror stories I read on forums about these new units. Mine doesn't have a shut off switch. The only way to shut it completely off is to disconnect the negative battery lead. This is apparently due to the solar panel system being hard wired to the battery and fridge.
                I just wish there was an easier way to shut off the fridge but still charge the batteries when the camper is in storage.
                Mark & Yvonne
                2022 Reflection 303RLS
                2021 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LTZ
                B&M turnover ball
                Blue Ox Gooseneck-to-5th-Wheel Trailer Hitch Adapter

Comment

#1Bama On some of the 12V fridges when you turn them off the interior light still stays on. There have been discussions on this. According to one of the manuals, the light goes off after approximately 5 minutes when the unit is turned off.
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                  Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post

Ya, my Norcold 12cuft absorption fridge works great. Wonder why others don't?
                    The bigger issues have been with the large 4-door absorption version. Smaller units seem to do okay. My old 8 CF Norcold did an adequate job other than the slow start up and recovery times.

Jim
                    Jim and Ginnie
                    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

The bigger issues have been with the large 4-door absorption version. Smaller units seem to do okay. My old 8 CF Norcold did an adequate job other than the slow start up and recovery times.

Jim
                      Mine is the large four door absorption version. Works great. Just wondering why the difference. Some apparently suck.
                      2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                      Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Originally posted by #1Bama View Post
                        I just wish there was an easier way to shut off the fridge but still charge the batteries when the camper is in storage.
                        I have a furrion 12volt, the control knob inside has an "off" position. the light still turns on when you open the door but the cooling unit stays off

Jonathon, Sarah, Things 1, 2, & 3 Higham
                        2020 Silverado 1500
                        2021 Transcend Xplor 297QB

Comment

I have the Norcold 2118 in our Momentum, It does a pretty decent job in moderate temps. Once we hit 100, however, not so much. Our last trip Havasu in July when the high was 105 (which is cold by July standards), I had to take the outside bottom cover off and shove a fan in there to keep the temps manageable. I'm looking at switching out to the JC Refrigeration 12v compressor conversion next year.

The wife, at first, was giving the look of, "Why?" A couple of months ago, my dad's neighbor's motorhome caught fire due to the refrigerator. When I showed my wife the pictures, she asked, "How did THAT happen?" I said, "The refrigerator caught fire." With her eyes wide open she looked at me and said, "You're fixing that, right?"
                          Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
                          2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
                          2020 Momentum 351M
                          2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by OffToHavasu View Post
                            “You're fixing that, right?"
                            Now . . . where have I heard that before . . .

Rob

Cate & Rob
                            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                            2015 Reflection 303RLS
                            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

From what I've read its the absorption fridges that vent out the side and mounted in a slide that seems to have issues with airflow and cooling. Our Norcold works perfectly and we boondock so its the right solution for us. Not fond of traveling with the gas on but we do it. Critter nests cause many fridge fires too.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X