Mashed LCI One Control Tablet Button

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mashed LCI One Control Tablet Button

RV'ing always being an adventure the little button that activates the One Control Tablet is kind of mashed in. It still works, but knowing how these things go I have decided to replace the little tablet with a new one before the little button gives up the ghost. Oddly enough for a touch screen tablet, it can't be activated with the touch screen, you have to push the button. No button = no lights, no slides, no water pump, etc. I could probably work around most everything except the lights.

I couldn't find a part number in the GD "Parts Lookup". Tuesday I'll give LCI a call and see if they can match one. Does anyone know how to back up the little tablet software so it can be restored to a new one? Or maybe how to transfer the settings? or maybe how to program one?

Looking for do's, don'ts, and gotchas.
    2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
    2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
    E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
    Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

I think the tablet is controlled by the board and what it see's is what the board tells it. When you call LCI to inquire about the control panel, they will most likely ask for details and provide it pre programmed if it needs programming.

Is this the control panel you are looking for: https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...saApJcEALw_wcB

If it's one like I linked, the reason I think it's controlled by the board is b/c I had to change out the one in my previous 5er due to voltage readings that were erratic. Just plug and play.
    Last edited by Jlawles2; 09-04-2022, 02:36 PM.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

d2reid -- please document what you discover as you (again) blaze a trail with a new issue.

Consider asking LCI is if you can use one of the new OCTP (OneControl Touch Panel) displays in lieu of a tablet. I doubt it, but worth the question.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
        I think the tablet is controlled by the board and what it see's is what the board tells it. ...
        Is this the control panel you are looking for: https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...saApJcEALw_wcB

... Just plug and play.

That looks like the puppy. I can't wait to tell my wife that the button on the front of the control pad is going to cost over $500. Very early on I did some research on the One Control tablet and read something about programming it. So I kind of hope that it is plug and play, that would make it very easy. I was looking to shuffle the lighting list putting the most frequently used at the top, but it wasn't worth the time I was putting into it.

Originally posted by howson View Post
        d2reid -- please document what you discover as you (again) blaze a trail with a new issue.

Consider asking LCI is if you can use one of the new OCTP (OneControl Touch Panel) displays in lieu of a tablet. I doubt it, but worth the question.
        Will do!

The cost of the new tablet was an eye opener. Now I am considering attempting to take it apart and see if I can fix or bypass the little button. But you guys know my history of semi-repairing stuff. And it is a single point of failure. If I mess it up I would be dead in the water. So new plan, purchase correct replacement from someplace that takes returns. Figure out how to swap it out, porting the software as necessary. Take the one out and see if I can fix it, if yes, send new back, if no, put new one into service.

Of course if I leave my wife in the dark for a week waiting for the new tablet she won't fuss as much about the cost....

Comment

IIRC everything on the older panels is controlled from the board with a turn dial and switches. You might find that panel and figure out if you can do it that way. I know on our other 5er (NON GD) that control board was the pain in my rear. Took me a few attempts to get the layout figured out so I could diagnose bad relays associated with motor issues.

All in all though, complete control of everything that the little touch screen does from the panel, just not ideal to have to go outside and play with something to make something else work. On a side note though, everything is easily bypassed on the board vs the new unity system.
          Joseph
          Tow
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
            [USER="2234"] -- please document what you discover as you (again) blaze a trail with a new issue.
            Well this is turning out to be anti-climatic. I was expecting a pretty good problem, turns out, it may be easy.

I called LCI today. Told them about the mashed button. LCI said no problem we will ship you a new touch pad for free. ???

I am not looking a gift horse in the mouth, my Momentum (and touch pad) are 5 years old. I don't know if it is a touch pad thing, maybe belonging to LCI Scouts, maybe all the other times I have talked with LCI... don't know why they would send me a new part for free. Not asking either....

Software is on the board not in the touch pad.

I was warned that the interface may not look the same.

Unplug the old, plug in the new.

This is way too easy. I am sitting here dumbfounded. But, I guess easy could happen. A couple of days for shipping, then I will know more.

Also, it was mentioned in the discussion that the mashed button cannot be repaired... requires replacement.

Comment

Update.

Parts came in, installtion complete, but wait, there's more....

Picture of the initial problem...
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0486.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	95193

The little button has collapsed on one side. It's only a matter of time before it quits.

I contacted LCI and they were kind enough to send me a new tablet. Yea! You can tell by the time stamp how long that took.

New tablet arrives, tech support says no programming, unplug and re-plug, good to go, oh by the way, the interface may be different.....

Out with the old...

Name:	IMG_0479.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	95195

Easy peasy, slide up, lay over, see the connectors. I had to go grab some needle nose plier to get the lock tabs on the backside of the connectors to disengage and to get a decent grip on the cables. Fat fingers couldn't get in there ot unlock and get a grip. One for one hole replacement with power off. The little black tepee is a network terminator, kind of necessary to make the network cables to work properly. Power and interface, simple.

Yup, the interface has changed.
              Old....

Name:	MyRv2f.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	95196

vs the new interface....

Name:	IMG_0483.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	95197

All the parts are there, just in a different place. It took me a few mintues to figure it out. Downside, they spit the scrren, ergo (that's a fancy word I know) the selection list is much smaller. I will brag that I could make out the details, but DW had to go get the readers.

All in all that was a pretty simple solution....

But, what went wrong?

Since my system was up and functioning, (still getting used to the new interface..) I decided to play mad scientist and see what happened. The autopsy begins.....

Name:	IMG_0487.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	95198

Six screws on the back side...

Attached Files

Comment

Fold out the back, be careful not to pull the ribbon cables loose....

Name:	IMG_0488.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	95220

You'll find an itty bitty H framed retainer behind the collapsed button. Busted... in two places... no wonder the button collapsed. A mild comment on the single point of failure on a $500+ device and a small piece of plastic.

Name:	IMG_0490.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	95221

But can it be repaired? For me, LCI replaced it at no cost, so no I don't need to fix it, but what if I needed to. Superglue came to mind, a couple drops on the H frame may get the job done. But today, for me, that would require a 30 mile round trip into town. So, casting in my other's box I came up with some Gorilla Glue Adhesive, not caulking per se, not Marine 5200 per say, something in the middle. All I had, so I smeared some on and put the device back together, 24 hour cure time, that means I am going to put it on the shelf and maybe remember it in a month or so to put it back in and see if it works. Wait, were is my glue picture....

Name:	IMG_0491.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	95222

Yea I know, my engineer friends are gagging about now, but it's me with what I had on hand...

All the buttons work, but now I must put on my readers to discern which one I am pressing.

As always, I really enjoy the adventure.
                Last edited by d2reid; 09-20-2022, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Pictures not showing, but I can picture it mentally. Wonder if you can take something (toothpick, plastic popsicle stick, etc) and reinforce the bracket. Then figure out how much room is between it and the backer an put in a stiff foam (provided there is not something in the way).
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                    Pictures not showing,

Ooops, I got caught by the photo in post limit. Hopefully fixed now.

Comment

Working...
                    X