Imagine 3000qb water heater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imagine 3000qb water heater

Looking for advice on how to access and change the electric heating element on my water heater. I believe it is the newer Dometic/Atwood model (DSI electric/gas 6 gallon) and from what I can find the heating element is located in the back of the unit. The only way I can see to access the rear of the unit is reaching through my under kitchen sink drawers. Help!

Originally posted by geesabl1 View Post
    Looking for advice on how to access and change the electric heating element on my water heater. I believe it is the newer Dometic/Atwood model (DSI electric/gas 6 gallon) and from what I can find the heating element is located in the back of the unit. The only way I can see to access the rear of the unit is reaching through my under kitchen sink drawers. Help!
    Sorry, but I don't have an answer to your question. I am curious, though, why do think the element is bad? I assume the heater is working off of gas but not electric?
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Yes, heats on gas but not electric. When the electric stopped working, we smelled a "electrical burn" odor. I have the rig scheduled to go back to the dealer for warranty repair in January, so want to figure out how you are supposed to get to the element should I ever have to do it myself after the warranty expires.

Comment

Originally posted by geesabl1 View Post
        Yes, heats on gas but not electric. When the electric stopped working, we smelled a "electrical burn" odor. I have the rig scheduled to go back to the dealer for warranty repair in January, so want to figure out how you are supposed to get to the element should I ever have to do it myself after the warranty expires.
        Still don't know where that electrical heating element is, but after watching the video linked below I'd guess the element is connected to the electrical at the rear, bottom of the unit (where the 110vAC is connected). Though this video doesn't specifically mention the heating element, I'd guess the element is integral to the tank itself. Fast-forward to the ~17:00 minute mark and you'll see the old and new tank side-by-side. Both have the electrical box connection.

Cate&Rob -- am I close?

Finally, if you haven't done so already it might be a good idea to turn off the hot water heater circuit breaker on your distribution panel until your dealer gets a chance to look at your unit. Your panel is probably different from mine, but you'll have something like what is shown below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cb panel.JPG
Views:	295
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	9434
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

geesabl1 . . . I am not familiar with how much access you have to the back of the water heater on your Imagine. Sometimes this area can be accessed through a cabinet or by removing a drawer. The electric heating element is under a black plastic cover on the lower part of the back of the heater box. See attached picture.

Rob
          Attached Files
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

No information on access, but I can tell you when mine stopped working on electric it was the relay not the element. It’s also on the rear.

Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Thanks for all the info! This forum is great, and another reason why we are glad we joined the Grand Design family!

There is a black cover on the back. Problem is you have to be a skinny contortionist to access it as the unit is at the back of the "L" under the kitchen - which can only be accessed through a drawer under the kitchen sink...I guess it's a good thing I am still under warranty and I am already scheduled to have the dealer do the work. Will do on keeping the breaker off.
              Last edited by geesabl1; 12-19-2019, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X