Thermostat not showing the correct temperature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermostat not showing the correct temperature

Our Solitude has 2 thermostats, one in the bedroom on an interior wall and one in the living room on an exterior wall. The one in the bedroom works perfectly, cycling on an off to maintain a constant temperature. But the one in the living room reads much higher than the actual room temperature during the day, which causes the A/C to stay on all day long unless I manually turn it off. Has anyone else encountered this?
    2022 Solitude 346FLS

nomad2022 -- first, welcome to the forum.

Based on the description do you think the exterior wall is the culprit causing the thermostat to misread the room temperature? (Unfortunately the 346FLS is a floorplan the moderators don't have more info on at this time.)

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

It could be that the exterior wall is affecting the temperature reading. But when I touch the wall it doesn't feel warm. The temperature sensor should be isolated from the wall if it was installed properly. Is there an easy way to remove the thermostat cover to see if the sensor is touching the wall?
      2022 Solitude 346FLS

Comment

Originally posted by nomad2022 View Post
        It could be that the exterior wall is affecting the temperature reading. But when I touch the wall it doesn't feel warm. The temperature sensor should be isolated from the wall if it was installed properly. Is there an easy way to remove the thermostat cover to see if the sensor is touching the wall?
        Post a picture of the thermostat and let's try to determine what model it is.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Here is a picture.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Thermostat.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	94770
          2022 Solitude 346FLS

Comment

nomad2022

OK, that's a fairly standard thermostat. Below are two pics I took of the units in my trailer. It's been awhile, but I remember the cover pops off (held by a few tabs) and then the underside is mounted to the wall with screws.

Note in the pics that what I think is the thermistor is angled differently. Both of my units work without issue.

If you think the living room thermostat is bad, you could temporarily swap the units. The heater may not work with the units swapped, though, as the bedroom thermostat may not support running a furnace.

Click image for larger version  Name:	thermostat1.JPG Views:	0 Size:	112.6 KB ID:	94778

Click image for larger version  Name:	thermostat2.JPG Views:	0 Size:	254.1 KB ID:	94779

Comment

Thank you so much for the pics. I was able to remove the faceplate of the thermostat. The green temperature sensor was pointed up against the circuit board. I bent it so that it is now visible from below the unit when closed and hopefully it will better read the air temperature of the room. Next time it gets hot out I will post the results.
              2022 Solitude 346FLS

Comment

Originally posted by nomad2022 View Post
                Our Solitude has 2 thermostats, one in the bedroom on an interior wall and one in the living room on an exterior wall. The one in the bedroom works perfectly, cycling on an off to maintain a constant temperature. But the one in the living room reads much higher than the actual room temperature during the day, which causes the A/C to stay on all day long unless I manually turn it off. Has anyone else encountered this?
                Our 390RK-R has a similar but Grand Design created problem. They mounted the kitchen AC thermostat on a wall next to the Residential fridge. Thus it actually measures the temperature of fridge condenser coil warmed air. It regularly register 86 degrees when the actual air temperature 5 feet away is 74. A planned work/possible fix is to make the wall it is on a two sided wall, it is now simply a single wallboard wall. I will insulate the air gap in the wall and see if that helps. That requires removing the island and the fridge, so that may be a while before it gets done! For now I set the thermostat based on whether the fridge is running or not. It makes for quite a challenge to keep up with it. But that is all I can currently do, I am sure the same rig with an absorption RV fridge would be fine with the condenser coils outside.
                Tim and Terri,
                USAF Retired/Veteran.
                F350 DRW Towing a Solitude 390RK-R

Comment

Originally posted by tlovell View Post

Our 390RK-R has a similar but Grand Design created problem. They mounted the kitchen AC thermostat on a wall next to the Residential fridge. Thus it actually measures the temperature of fridge condenser coil warmed air. It regularly register 86 degrees when the actual air temperature 5 feet away is 74. A planned work/possible fix is to make the wall it is on a two sided wall, it is now simply a single wallboard wall. I will insulate the air gap in the wall and see if that helps. That requires removing the island and the fridge, so that may be a while before it gets done! For now I set the thermostat based on whether the fridge is running or not. It makes for quite a challenge to keep up with it. But that is all I can currently do, I am sure the same rig with an absorption RV fridge would be fine with the condenser coils outside.
                  Yep--a classmate with a 390RK-R had the same issue with the thermostat in his kitchen. I'd forgotten about that until reading your post.

Comment

nomad2022 What units are intended to be used? C of F? Should not operate at 100% duty cycle.

Jim

Comment

Bending the sensor away from the circuit board and towards the hole in the bottom of the thermostat completely fixed the problem. It now correctly reads the room temperature and cycles on and off properly. Both of my thermostats are set to read deg F.
                      2022 Solitude 346FLS

Comment

iN MY GD345GK-R THE REAR STAT IS INSTALLED IN THE ALCOVE BY THE OFFICE DESK. IT TOO REEADS HIGH BECAUSE THE RV ALCOVE FACES SOUTH. I INSTALLED A SMALL USB POWERED FAN BLOWING ON THE STAT AND THAT MAKES THE OPERATION FINE.

I'M IN ARIZONA SO UNLESS IT IS THE 110 DEGREE SUMMER, I USUALLY DON'T USE THE 3RD REAR AC ANYWAY....

Comment

Working...
                        X