Appliances using propane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Appliances using propane

FYI - Had the rig in the shop for work on fridge. I wouldn't work on propane. My stove worked and the water heater worked on propane but not the fridge. They replaced the gas valve and got it working but when I went to pick it up, it didn't work. After further investigation they found that my propane tank was low. Apparently when the pressure in the tank gets down to a certain point (no one knows exactly where that point is) the fridge wont work, it requires higher pressure than the other appliances. Note: don't keep both tanks open when in use. If you do, when one tank runs dry it will automatically switch to the full tank and use it up. Problem is you never know when the switch takes place. Keep one tank closed and do a manual switch when the first runs dry. That way you know when to re-fill.

Originally posted by Kendp View Post
    Note: don't keep both tanks open when in use. If you do, when one tank runs dry it will automatically switch to the full tank and use it up. Problem is you never know when the switch takes place. Keep one tank closed and do a manual switch when the first runs dry. That way you know when to re-fill.
    Well that's an opinion.

The automatic switch-over regulator has an indicator on it so that you DO know when the first tank has been depleted. The indicator is green when the currently-selected tank has fuel, and red when it has emptied and the regulator is drawing from the second tank. When it's red, turn the lever to the second tank - the indicator will turn green if there's fuel there - and then remove and fill the first tank. Check the indicator occasionally - much more often in cold weather when the furnace is frequently burning - and repeat the process.

A 15-second check of the regulator every few days in winter, or less often in warm weather, is IMO a better idea than running out of propane and having to go outside and turn on a propane tank. Especially in winter. In the middle of the night.

Each to their own opinion.
    Last edited by boyscout; 12-20-2019, 02:04 PM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Or check the tanks daily in high use. When the furnace is running, I'd rather it switch over automatically so I don't have to go in the cold in the middle of the night to switch it over. Take a look at the switch over valve. There's an indicator showing if the tank is empty. It will have automatically switched over. Flip the manual switch to that tank and go get the other refilled.
      Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
      2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
      2020 Momentum 351M
      2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

I purchased a MOPEKA propane monitor(s) for my tanks. Occasionally look at my cell phone to get level remaining on each tank. Pretty darn accurate.
        John & Cindy
        2019 303 RLS
        2018 F250

Comment

Originally posted by Johnww View Post
          I purchased a MOPEKA propane monitor(s) for my tanks. Occasionally look at my cell phone to get level remaining on each tank. Pretty darn accurate.
          +1 for the Mopeka tank monitors. I'm always afraid they will fall off the bottom of the tank but so far, those magnets have worked really well and the readings have been very accurate. A quick glance at the cell phone app lets you know their current status. It is easy to forget about them when getting the tanks filled but even when I did, they were not damaged.
          2020 Momentum 349M
          2019 F350 Platinum Super Duty
          U.S. Air Force Retired

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Carter View Post
            +1 for the Mopeka tank monitors. I'm always afraid they will fall off the bottom of the tank but so far, those magnets have worked really well and the readings have been very accurate. A quick glance at the cell phone app lets you know their current status. It is easy to forget about them when getting the tanks filled but even when I did, they were not damaged.
            I bought these when we had a Reflection in which the propane tank bays are fully enclosed; worked well for half a year. Then we got a Solitude in which the propane tank bays have no floor - they are open to the road beneath.

To protect (I thought) the sensors from falling off or being exposed to any splashing from the road I taped them to the bottom of the tanks with Gorilla tape. Within a couple of months both had failed, replaced batteries, no joy.

Are yours open and exposed to the road like that?
            Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Originally posted by boyscout View Post

I bought these when we had a Reflection in which the propane tank bays are fully enclosed; worked well for half a year. Then we got a Solitude in which the propane tank bays have no floor - they are open to the road beneath.

To protect (I thought) the sensors from falling off or being exposed to any splashing from the road I taped them to the bottom of the tanks with Gorilla tape. Within a couple of months both had failed, replaced batteries, no joy.

Are yours open and exposed to the road like that?
              Yes! The old trailer had a plate beneath the propane tanks but the current trailer does not. I'm considering adding something simple between the brackets to cover/catch the sensor if it ever falls off but I haven't had one fall off yet. I did replace the batteries in both of mine this year and try to close the app immediately after checking so the refresh cycle doesn't drain them too quickly.

Not sure why those sensors would quit working other than a dead battery or needing a re-sync? May be worth a call to Mopeka to see what they recommend.

2020 Momentum 349M
              2019 F350 Platinum Super Duty
              U.S. Air Force Retired

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Carter View Post

+2 Just ordered mine. Hope they work as good as the reviews and last a long time.

Rob
                Rob & Barb
                2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
                2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

I recently bought a 2020 Grand Design Solitude 390rk. We cannot figure out how to light the stove and oven. HELP!!!

Comment

Originally posted by moonpanther7665 View Post
                    I recently bought a 2020 Grand Design Solitude 390rk. We cannot figure out how to light the stove and oven. HELP!!!
                    i am not familiar with this floor model but seeing as the oven and stove top is mounted in a slide you may have a valve that will need to be turned on. Outside under the slide that has the stove installed look at the frame rail area for the rubber gas line. The line will be flexible from the bottom of the slide to the frame rail where it will be plugged into the main gas line. At this connection there may be a valve. Just one place that I can think of to look , also make sure you have full propane cylinders and one of them is turned on. If your unit has an automatic change over valve make sure it is pointed to the cylinder that you have turned on.

Brian
                    Brian & Michelle
                    2018 Reflection 29RS
                    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
                    X