Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Furrion 16cu ft. 12V fridge (FCR16DCASA-SS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Furrion 16cu ft. 12V fridge (FCR16DCASA-SS)

While I appreciate the innovation in this 12V fridge there are a few things that are overlooked...

1. Proper way to secure the doors while traveling
    2. a "low power mode" that is not described in the user manual (furrion or GD manual). That is only recovered from by removing ALL power to the rig (including disconnecting the battery).
    3. A statement in the Furrion user manual that you should not travel with food in the compartment!!

Grand Design should evaluate the products more thoroughly before installing them for the customer as this fridge is essentially unusable for travelling place to place and camping! We need a replacement fridge!

Originally posted by debmwb1 View Post
    While I appreciate the innovation in this 12V fridge there are a few things that are overlooked...

1. Proper way to secure the doors while traveling
    2. a "low power mode" that is not described in the user manual (furrion or GD manual). That is only recovered from by removing ALL power to the rig (including disconnecting the battery).
    3. A statement in the Furrion user manual that you should not travel with food in the compartment!!

Grand Design should evaluate the products more thoroughly before installing them for the customer as this fridge is essentially unusable for travelling place to place and camping! We need a replacement fridge!
    I thought. There's no way the manual says to travel empty. So I looked up the operating manual, and sure enough "Avoid traveling with food in the cavity. Wait until you have arrived to your destination and remove any remaining food before departing."

I'm forwarding your concerns to GDRV management.

​​​​​​​Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Yes! How absurd! I could perhaps understand a "new" manufacturer to the RV/camping business stating this, but Furrion has been in this business for quite some time. So I have to carry a large cooler (with ice) to move from place to place? Rediculous!

Comment

Yes! How absurd! I could perhaps understand a "new" manufacturer to the RV/camping business stating this, but Furrion has been in this business for quite some time. So I have to carry a large cooler (with ice) to move from place to place? Rediculous!
        I sent an email to GDRV management asking for clarification on this.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie

Comment

...and so what did GDRV management say?

Comment

I agree about the ridiculousness of NOT traveling with food in the compartment. However, I now know why they say that. We arrived in Mena, Arkansas on Monday and when we opened the door, we were treated to an open refrigerator door, fruit, jars and other items rolling around in the kitchen floor and a barely cool refrigerator. We had used the "black plastic C channel" on the doors to secure them. Fortunately, the 12vDC fridge cools quickly and we didn't lose any dairy items.
            Bruce and Michelle - and Callie (GSD)
            2019 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4L HEMI
            2023 Reflection 303RLS (purchased 9/2022)

Comment

...and so what did GDRV management say?
              No response...

Jim
              Jim and Ginnie

Comment

TucsonJim
                I sent an email to GDRV management asking for clarification on this.

Jim, your email was sent two and a half weeks ago, don't you think that the problems we have experienced with the 16 cu ft furrion would justify an immediate Grand Design response to your question?

I'm thinking that if you don't store food in your refrigerator and dont turn it on, this might eliminate the massive battery draw that the Furrion refrigerator causes.

debmwb1

I'm confused about your second refrigerator question, what caused the Refrigerator to go into the "Low Power Mode"?
                Bill and Shannon
                2022 Reflection 303RLS
                2021 F250, 6.7

Comment

Originally posted by On The Fly View Post
                  TucsonJim

Jim, your email was sent two and a half weeks ago, don't you think that the problems we have experienced with the 16 cu ft furrion would justify an immediate Grand Design response to your question?

I'm thinking that if you don't store food in your refrigerator and dont turn it on, this might eliminate the massive battery draw that the Furrion refrigerator causes.

debmwb1

I'm confused about your second refrigerator question, what caused the Refrigerator to go into the "Low Power Mode"?
                  I sent a follow up request. Hopefully I'll get some feedback soon.

Jim
                  Jim and Ginnie

Comment

On The Fly - Don't know what caused it to go into low power mode. It was at the dealership and I believe the battery had discharged. I've seen a post about the Furrion fridge going into low power mode if the battery discharges. The design apparently is that it's supposed to come back out of that mode when the battery is charged or power is restored, but sometimes it doesn't.

Btw - I solved the door opening issue with a fridge lock set from Amazon that sticks on to both doors. It has a cable on one pad and a lock on the other for that cable. Holds the doors closed just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

I sent a follow up request. Hopefully I'll get some feedback soon.

Jim
                      You know what customer service told me...for me to go find a VIN code that had a fridge that would fit and they would see if management would cover the difference! I love that response...I have to go find a replacement. GD engineering picked this fridge that is not capable of supporting the type of camping the RV was designed for, but they want me (the customer) to find something else! GD engineering should define a replacement and a recall should be issued!

Comment

I'll second that. REQUIREMENTS to the suppliers is what's needed to avoid these issues. If the supplier does not meet the spec, look for another supplier. It really is that simple.

Jim

Comment

I’ve removed the Furrion tankless junk from my 2022 303rls, next up is the junk Furrion fridge where the set the dry camping mode temperature above the recommended food storage temperature!! It’s also a power hog with a flimsy piece of plastic to hold the doors shut.
                          Funny story, Furrion tankless baffle rattles when the wind blows, it drove me nuts. I reached out to Furrion, they told me to park the trailer in another direction!!! Before that response they said, put a piece of cardboard over the unit, not kidding!! I asked if they were concerned about a fire!
                          ok… enough
                          any recommendations on a new 12v fridge, I heard Norcold makes a good unit, for a hefty price of 5K and change.

Comment

Our Norcold functions flawlessly with the upper vent through the roof. Some with top venting out the side, such as in a slide have had different results. It is not recommended to operate this unit while over the road but like many others, we do it. And yes we travel with food in the fridge.

Our rig is a 2017 model with old school rock solid appliances. A suggestion to sell units this way and referred to as having a "Dry Camp Package" could avoid disappointment with some users.

Jim

Comment

Just a thought, I am going 120v with a unit that should fit in the existing slide keeping the shelf the Dometic sits in. I am gaining 2 cu ft and loosing about 100 lbs.

Frigidaire 13.9. Got it for 599! Will take pics of install. It looks to sip electric......model FFHT1425VV

Just looked and price now 746.....watch for it to drop again for Black Friday.
                              2018 337RLS
                              720w solar, 100/50 scc 1500w psw 2 battleborn
                              disc brakes, ems

Comment

Working...
                              X