Dometic Refrigerator Ammonia Smell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dometic Refrigerator Ammonia Smell

Hello GD friends! I have a 2020 Imagine 21BHE that I bought in 2019. I have a big issue...the dreaded Ammonia Smell from the fridge. I've had a mobile tech out and it looks like it needs a new cooling system (It's a 2 way fridge). The part alone is $1500 and total for install with taxes is $2200. I've called the dealership (Lazydays RV) in Woodland, WA and they confirm the price for the part is $1500. Of course, it's out of warranty...Dometic fridge warranty is only 2 years. New Norcold refrigerator is about $2000 and New Dometiec one is $3000. I'm looking for advice. Would it do any good to call GD and complain? I've used the trailer about 20 times in 3 years. Seems crazy that I now have to spend a lot of money to replace/repair it. Should I look into an extended warranty? Has anyone upgraded their fridge and want to sell?? It's 8 cubic ft. Thank you all in advance.

Originally posted by cjhi911@yahoo.com View Post
    Hello GD friends! I have a 2020 Imagine 21BHE that I bought in 2019. I have a big issue...the dreaded Ammonia Smell from the fridge. I've had a mobile tech out and it looks like it needs a new cooling system (It's a 2 way fridge). The part alone is $1500 and total for install with taxes is $2200. I've called the dealership (Lazydays RV) in Woodland, WA and they confirm the price for the part is $1500. Of course, it's out of warranty...Dometic fridge warranty is only 2 years. New Norcold refrigerator is about $2000 and New Dometiec one is $3000. I'm looking for advice. Would it do any good to call GD and complain? I've used the trailer about 20 times in 3 years. Seems crazy that I now have to spend a lot of money to replace/repair it. Should I look into an extended warranty? Has anyone upgraded their fridge and want to sell?? It's 8 cubic ft. Thank you all in advance.
    Never hurts to give GD Customer Service a call. I doubt there will be satisfaction with the answer you'll receive, but again doesn't hurt to call.

Depending on the type of camping you do, consider a 12v or a residential 120v replacement. Talk with your mobile tech and ask if they've done any conversions and do a price comparison. (You won't be able to cool on propane with these options...so it's not for everyone.) I installed a residential Haier refrigerator in place of the original Dometic and don't regret it for a second but I've installed extensive upgrades to my trailer (solar, inverter, batteries, etc).

And yes, the cooling unit is toast if there's an ammonia smell or evidence of a yellow stain on the cooling unit.

Howard
    Last edited by howson; 09-28-2022, 06:03 AM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

You might want to contact https://jc-refrigeration.com/ or at least check out their page. Probably better options than factory parts.
      John & Kathy
      2014 Reflection 303RLS
      2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Thank you all for your suggestions!

Comment

Whenever I have a part or appliance that fails prematurely I will write a letter to the corporation and express my disappointment in its early demise. I have found that productive criticism is sometimes helpful. It could very well be that the particular model has an abnormally high failure rate and the manufacturer may throw some goodwill your way, its worth a shot.
          2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

I would contact Dometic, GD will more than likely send you there.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
            X