Replacing OEM Furrion Microwave Lights with LEDs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing OEM Furrion Microwave Lights with LEDs

The DW needed new lights in her kitchen microwave so decided to replace the lights in the Furrion FMCM15-BL microwave in my 315RLTS, too. Of course that meant I needed to do some before-and-after comparisons.

The first picture is what the OEM (incandesdent) bulb looks like installed and a new LED in the package (bought at ACE Hardware). I bought the brightest available at ACE, a "40W". There where lower wattage (a misrepresentation...but I digress) bulbs available but went with what I knew the DW would want.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Bulbs.jpg Views:	17 Size:	184.6 KB ID:	95895

The second picture shows the slight difference in the lighting. I think it's more of a color distinction but there is a difference. (Pictures were taken with the exact same F stop and ISO settings. If you don't know what that means...the takeaway is the difference in what you see is NOT due to the camera settings.)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Lighting Difference.jpg Views:	15 Size:	87.6 KB ID:	95896

Finally, the difference in power consumption (what this tech forum will appreciate the most, I think):

Click image for larger version  Name:	Power Consumed.jpg Views:	15 Size:	108.0 KB ID:	95897

The 4.95A being consumed as shown on the left is with minimal items in the camper drawing power (microwave lights off). The only difference in the second reading is the OEM microwave lights were turned on. So there's a 4A draw by the lights (8.95-4.95). The third is with the LEDs installed (and on). The difference is a mere .43A (that' POINT 43 amps!).

To put that in perspective, let's use a 100 amp hour (aH) lead acid battery that typically comes standard with an RV. Conventional thought is there is only 1/2 of that 100aH available before the battery should be recharged, so that's 50aH. That means an owner could run the microwave lights for about 12 hours, since 50/4 = ~12.

Now consider the LEDs. An owner could run those for about 125 hours.on the same battery, since 50/.4=~125!

It's a minor thing, but if you use the microwave's lights on a regular basis and also boondock, consider swapping out the lights.

Howard

P.S. Apparently the bulb socket is always "hot" and when the light is turned on a path to neutral is established. Don't ask me how I know the socket is "hot" even though the light is off...but don't accidentally stick your finger in the bulb socket when changing out the bulb. ( It tingles! )
    Last edited by howson; 10-02-2022, 06:48 AM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Great Info. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
    X