Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is a normal duty cycle for a Norcold 2118?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a normal duty cycle for a Norcold 2118?

Or almost 6 months old problem child refrigerator seems to run almost constantly. Not the internal fan but the burner. We were sitting out around it the other day and it ran solid for at least 4 hours before it finally shut off only to re-light about 10 minutes later. The ambient temp wasn't all that warm either at about 70-75F. We have the thing set at 4 or 5 which seems to be the best for internal temps but even so, the freezer doesn't freeze very hard at about 5F. It also frosts up quite quickly. We had the common door flapper issue in the beginning but that has been taken care of. I should also mention, it is fairly full and the doors hadn't been opened in a while.
    I guess what I am asking is what is the norm on these things when running on propane? How long should expect the burner to run before shutting down?
    Thanks -Rob-
    -
    Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya
    2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, 600AH of Battle Born LiFePO4, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
    2023 GMC Denali Duramax 4x4 DRW LB CC, Curt Q25
    Follow us at https://rctravels.rmcd.ca/

We don't run our Norcold on propane much, but when we have, the burner didn't run that much. Have you looked around the boiler and coils for signs that you've lost the refrigerant (leaks)?

Rob
    Rob & Laura
    U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
    2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
    (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Comment

We run ours on propane quite a lot and it doesn't cycle all that much. I would be looking at your outside panel for dirt, insect nests and other "stuff". I have heard of control board failures as well.
      2017 310GK

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions.
        Checked all around and no bugs. All coils and fins are clean and all baffles are in place. No sign of any leaks nor would I expect any on a 6 month old rig but I guess anything's possible. I did notice that the drain hose plug is missing so I will have to see if I can get a replacement but that shouldn't cause it to run excessively. As far as I can tell the doors are sealing OK as well. One thing it is doing is the flame is intermittently popping and has been for a couple of months now. I've checked the burner and all orifices are clean.
        Stumped!
        -
        2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, 600AH of Battle Born LiFePO4, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink

Comment

Originally posted by KamFlyer View Post
          Thanks for the suggestions.
          One thing it is doing is the flame is intermittently popping and has been for a couple of months now.
          The unsteady flame could be a clue to the extended duty cycle. If the boiler is not getting enough heat, this would reduce the subsequent efficiency of the evaporator and reduce its cooling ability. Is the cooling duty cycle the same on electric as it is on propane?

(another) Rob
          so far . . . this seems to be a "3 Rob" discussion

Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
            Is the cooling duty cycle the same on electric as it is on propane?
            That's a question I can't answer unfortunately as we are almost never connected to shore power. Also don't have an easy way to tell when the electric heater would be running even if we were.
            We had a tech working on a problem close to the fridge the other day and when I asked him about the popping, said this was fairly common with these Norcolds and that there may be a recall coming!? Not sure if that is true or not.
            -Rob-
            -

Comment

If the freezer is frosting up quickly it likely could be the door gasket leaking. Ambient humid air getting in would cause frost.
              2007 Itasca Horizon w/2017 Wrangler "pusher toad"
              2015 Solitude 320X (sold) likely a 351M to take it's place
              2017 Ram 3500 Laramie 4wd CC LB SRW
              2019 Harley Davidson Heritage 114 as the toy

Comment

Originally posted by chunker View Post
                If the freezer is frosting up quickly it likely could be the door gasket leaking. Ambient humid air getting in would cause frost.
                No, not unusually so. We did the dollar bill bill test and it all seemed pretty good.
                -Rob-
                -

Comment

Originally posted by KamFlyer View Post

No, not unusually so. We did the dollar bill bill test and it all seemed pretty good.
                  -Rob-
                  Point being if frost is building quickly then humid air is getting inside the freezer compartment. Maybe someone stares at the freezer trying to decide what to remove, or maybe the door/hinges are tweaked not letting a consistent even pressure of the door to freezer box. Regardless frost is an accumulation of humidity in the freezer. My chest freezer at home, 20+ years old, developed a large and rapid buildup of frost on one side. Lid had got tweaked/bent slightly. Frost was 4" thick. Some unscientific "counter-bending" got it straightened out. I live in the deep south so humidity is an ever present issue.
                  2007 Itasca Horizon w/2017 Wrangler "pusher toad"
                  2015 Solitude 320X (sold) likely a 351M to take it's place
                  2017 Ram 3500 Laramie 4wd CC LB SRW
                  2019 Harley Davidson Heritage 114 as the toy

Comment

Working...
                  X