No announcement yet.

Furrion 15.6 Artic 12 Volt Side by Side Residential Refrigerator User Manual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Furrion 15.6 Artic 12 Volt Side by Side Residential Refrigerator User Manual

This text is long and I apologize in advance. I've sent this to Service@Furrion.com per the recommendation of my dealer who also recommended sending to Grand Design, directly. In this forum introduction, it is recommended that the forum be used and it will be sent to GD if deemed the next step. So...

We have a 2022 Grand Design 5h wheel with a Furrion 15.6 Artic 12 Volt Side by Side Residential Style Refrigerator. It seems to be working well, but we are having trouble with our battery being drained. As result of 3 Warranty appointments concerning the battery drain, their technician has now told us that the refrigerator must be turned off when we are traveling, even if the travel is for only an hour or 2. We purchased the 5th wheel in part, because the 12 V refrigerator, according to the sales personnel, said that it doesn't have to be turned off since the truck and the roof solar system will trickle charge the refrigerator. We also pulled out the instruction manual (IM-FHA00108)for this refrigerator and are even more confused. Note: I did call GD service and was told that the dealer should look deeper for why the tow vehicle/solar is not keeping the battery charged during even a 2 hour travel.

Page 12
    Traveling
    Your refrigerator is designed to operate during normal transportation of your coach.
    ? So that means it doesn't have to be turned off during traveling?

- Always travel with the doors closed and ensure will not open during traveling. No confusion here.

- Avoid traveling with food in the cavity. Wait until you have arrived to your destination and remove any remaining food before departing.
    ? So that means that we can have it turned on, but cannot travel with food in it?

- Turn refrigerator to 'Off' (LOW POWER MODE) if climbing/crawling any off-road grade. ...
    ? If we are on highway or main road going into or through the mountains, hills, does the refrigerator have to be in "OFF"?

- Ensure the refrigerator has reached a desired stable temperature before departing for your trip. Avoid storing temperature sensitive items in the refrigerator while you are traveling unless a DC12V power source power source is available. During towing, the refrigerator can be operated as normal, as the tow vehicle should charge the DC12V power source. ...
    ?This seems to contradict bullet point 2 (Avoid traveling with food in the cavity). It also contradicts our dealer's instructions.?

- Once you arrive at your destination, use the refrigerator as instructed in this manual.
    This seems to imply that the refrigerator can only be operated as normal once we are at our destination, not while traveling, contrary to information in previous bullets.

So... 1. Can there be food in the refrigerator when we are traveling?
    2. Do we have to turn it off when driving roads other than off roads?
    3. What does Operating as Normal mean?

Moving on to Storage/Winterization
    ? Is there a difference between Storage and Winterization?

- A DC12V power source maintainer should be used for long storage, to keep a full charge.
    ? This refers to the battery, not the refrigerator?

- If the appliance is in storage, and not intended to be in operation, disconnect power, clean the inside thoroughly, and leave the doors propped open to avoid abnormal odors from developing.
    ? Disconnect power? In the following 2 bullets and the information on Shut Down, this seems to contradict the information to set the function to Low Power. Low Power or disconnect power??

I read this information to my dealer service personnel and they could not explain, for sure, what we are supposed to do. Their belief is:
    - travel with food is ok. No special concern about storing anything in the refrigerator when traveling - (yes, not too full, secured so it doesn't fall over or move, only store prefrozen/cooled items)
    - tow vehicle and solar system will keep the battery charged to use refrigerator working with food in it when we are towing
    - disconnect the battery during winter storage and trickle charge the battery to keep it charged. This will not affect the lifetime of the refrigerator.
    - storage for a few weeks does not require disconnecting power, but if not plugged into shore power, be sure that the refrigerator is in Low Power mode.
    Cheryl

C Henderson Welcome to the forum! While it is sponsored by Grand Design, we are just a collection of owners like you. If you're looking for direct feedback from Grand Design their contact info is on our home page. Here is a welcome letter for new members:

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Regarding your fridge there have been a lot of discussions about it recently, and we've recently seen come clarification on some of the guidance in the manual.

Personally I would not trust the stock solar panel and dealer supplied battery to run the fridge for more than a day. Definitely not while in storage. I'll defer to some owners with that unit with more experience, but most I know have added several solar panels and multiple batteries to power the fridge. WondersAwait in particular is a friend of mine that has just returned from an extended boondocking trip with great results. He's installed a quite large system, but if memory serves he did some testing early on before expanding the system and had good results with the stock panel and two lithium batteries.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

With regards to the manual,

These fridges are used in so many different applications that I would guess that Furrion has to have quite a bit of information in the manual so that the individual that it using the fridge in certain circumstances can make the proper decisions on how it is used.

Most tow vehicles have been found to only send about 7 or so amps of charge to the battery on board the RV, if the fridge is drawing more than that then the tow vehicle will not keep up with the demand. If you are traveling on cloudy days with little to no solar input then the solar will not be charging the battery to keep up with demand. Another thing is there are a few other items in the RV that are drawing battery power, so these need to be taken in to consideration as well, propane detector, radio memory to name a few.

I would tend to think that traveling for 2 hours when starting with a fully charged battery you should be fine, note make sure the battery is fully charged. If the dealer installed battery has been discharged to a voltage lower than 12.1 which is 50% then the battery may have been damaged, lead acid deep cycle batteries are not recommended to be discharged below 50%.

If you are storing the RV with no shore power connected then it may be likely that you are starting with a less than fully charged battery, even with the solar providing some charge to the battery.

I have the smaller version 10 cu ft dc fridge and really like it but it is not comparable to the larger 15 cu ft model.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by C Henderson View Post
        Traveling
        Your refrigerator is designed to operate during normal transportation of your coach.
        ? So that means it doesn't have to be turned off during traveling?​
        The refrigerator does not need to be turned off while traveling.

- Avoid traveling with food in the cavity. Wait until you have arrived to your destination and remove any remaining food before departing.
        ? So that means that we can have it turned on, but cannot travel with food in it?​
        ​​

GD has confirmed with the moderators that this entry in the Furrion manual is a mistake (on Furrion's part). Load the shelves with the understanding the violence that occurs while traveling. Place a full glass bottle of wine unsecured on a top shelf and there's likely to be a bad result. One of the moderators is still pushing for further clarification. If he's successful we'll certainly post the information here prominently.

- Turn refrigerator to 'Off' (LOW POWER MODE) if climbing/crawling any off-road grade. ...
        ? If we are on highway or main road going into or through the mountains, hills, does the refrigerator have to be in "OFF"?​
        ​​

No. The manual mentions allowing the refrigerator to stand upright for 4 hours prior to first application of power. This allows the oil in the compressor the settle. While traveling it would take a severe angle for an extended period of time to cause a problem. I can't think of a "normal" situation on a road that would prompt me to turn off my refrigerator (mine is also compressor-driven but it's not a Furrion).

- Ensure the refrigerator has reached a desired stable temperature before departing for your trip. Avoid storing temperature sensitive items in the refrigerator while you are traveling unless a DC12V power source power source is available. During towing, the refrigerator can be operated as normal, as the tow vehicle should charge the DC12V power source. ...
        ?This seems to contradict bullet point 2 (Avoid traveling with food in the cavity). It also contradicts our dealer's instructions.?​

- Once you arrive at your destination, use the refrigerator as instructed in this manual.
        This seems to imply that the refrigerator can only be operated as normal once we are at our destination, not while traveling, contrary to information in previous bullets.​

So... 1. Can there be food in the refrigerator when we are traveling?
        2. Do we have to turn it off when driving roads other than off roads?
        3. What does Operating as Normal mean?​​
        ​​

The refrigerator should operate fine if it has a power source. Ignore the contradiction. (Furrion can be maddening...but I'll stay off that soapbox.)

Moving on to Storage/Winterization
        ? Is there a difference between Storage and Winterization?

- A DC12V power source maintainer should be used for long storage, to keep a full charge.
        ? This refers to the battery, not the refrigerator?​
        ​​

No difference in their terminology in that paragraph. In other places "storage" refers to food. Not here.

Yes, they are referencing the battery. Likely it's there because in some units the RV manufacturer (like GD) will hook the refrigerator directly to the battery, bypassing the battery disconnect. If the refrigerator is left in low power mode (or ON) it will kill the battery.

- If the appliance is in storage, and not intended to be in operation, disconnect power, clean the inside thoroughly, and leave the doors propped open to avoid abnormal odors from developing.
        ? Disconnect power? In the following 2 bullets and the information on Shut Down, this seems to contradict the information to set the function to Low Power. Low Power or disconnect power??​
        ​​

While turning it OFF should work, for me a physical disconnect would be preferable. The exact location of the disconnect depends on how your trailer is specifically wired for the refrigerator and how accessible the wires are versus the location of new switch.

Note that the actual problem may indeed be something related to the power coming from (or lack thereof) the tow vehicle and/or the solar controller. Each should be specifically troubleshot to ensure it is working.

If the battery in your trailer has been drawn down on multiple occasions it may also be on it's last legs. What to do (other than just replace it) could be another long response.

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Cheryl, welcome to the Furrion 16cu ft, 12 volt Refrigerator forum. I experienced the same problems with the Dealer blaming Grand Design and Grand Design blaming Furrion. I pushed to hard and have been placed in Grand Design Customer Service Jail and I imagine it’s just a matter of time before I’m placed in owner’s forum jail also.
          Back to your problem, how much battery capacity did your Dealer install in the 5th wheel. Also, I understand that the new Reflection 5th wheel come equipped with 370w solar panel. Is your roof top solar a 165w or the new 370watt? If you could provide the answers to these two questions we might be able to provide you with enough information that might prevent the circle of blame that Dealers and Manufacturers put you through.
          Last edited by Country Campers; 11-01-2022, 10:59 AM. Reason: Please use the standard font size.
          Bill and Shannon
          2022 Reflection 303RLS
          2021 F250, 6.7

Comment

Hi! Probably an obvious newby question here, but we just started full-timing in our Reflection 5th wheel not even a week ago. We're at a permanent spot with full hookups and when I got up this morning, I realized our Furrion fridge wasn't cold and that also the light is barely coming on inside. Is there anything we need to do to ensure the fridge is pulling from our electric hookup and not our solar? Or could this be due to cooler temps? I've read something about the ambient temp sensor...? Thanks in advance for any advice/direction anyone can provide!!

Comment

The Refrigerator gets powered by the battery bank. The battery bank gets re-charged by the shore power or the solar system if the sun is shinning. I would try restarting the frig, if that does work contacting Furrion.
              Bill and Shannon
              2022 Reflection 303RLS
              2021 F250, 6.7

Comment

Originally posted by Late2theParty View Post
                Hi! Probably an obvious newby question here, but we just started full-timing in our Reflection 5th wheel not even a week ago. We're at a permanent spot with full hookups and when I got up this morning, I realized our Furrion fridge wasn't cold and that also the light is barely coming on inside. Is there anything we need to do to ensure the fridge is pulling from our electric hookup and not our solar? Or could this be due to cooler temps? I've read something about the ambient temp sensor...? Thanks in advance for any advice/direction anyone can provide!!
                You need a good solid 12+ Volts to power the refrigerator and 12 volt systems in your RV. Items like lights, the furnace fan, the vents and the refrigerator all run on 12 volts. If you're plugged into shore power, your converter will supply ample current to keep your battery charged and to power the 12 volt systems. If your refrigerator shut down due to low battery voltage, the first place to start checking is to verify that you indeed have shore power to the converter, and that the converter is producing voltage to recharge the batteries and to supplement the batteries in powering your devices.

As for selecting between shore power and solar to charge the batteries, there is no need. Both can be powered at the same time.

Here's my GUESS on what happened. Yesterday, your batteries were charged by solar and your converter is powered off, has a blown fuse, or is defective. Once night came, you were no longer getting power from the sun and your batteries became low enough to trigger the low voltage shut off on the refrigerator.

Here is a flow chart on how to trouble-shoot your converter:

Click image for larger version

Name:	WFCO Flow Chart.jpg
Views:	647
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	98679

Note: Once your batteries are recharged, you'll need to disconnect from shore power and disconnect the batteries for three minutes in order to over-ride the low voltage shut off on the refrigerator. It will not come back on once battery power is restored unless you physically disconnect from the 12V system in order to reboot the unit.

Jim
                Jim and Ginnie
                2024 Solitude 310GK
                GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Late2theParty View Post
                  First, welcome to the forum.

Check the battery disconnect and ensure it is on. This is the large red "key" that is likely near the Nautilus panel (you didn't specify the model of your GD unit). How you can tell if the disconnect is "on" is if the key will not remove. If you easily pull the key out the disconnect is "off" thus the battery is not being charged by a the converter, a device that takes shore power to charge the battery.

Finally, to restart the refrigerator, the easiest way to ensure it is not in "low power mode" is to completely remove power from the RV for a few moments. This is not as easy as it may seem if you have solar. By "remove all power" I mean turn off or remove power from the shore connection, disconnect the negative cable from the battery, and ensure there's no power coming from the solar panel (either by doing this at night or by temporarily putting a blanket over the solar panel).

When you get a chance, check out the Welcome Letter so you can get the most from this forum: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Howard

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Wonderful - thank you both so very much!!

Comment

Update:
                      our Dealer, after 4 warranty service attempts, told us the refrigerator (2022 260rd 5th wheel) is wired directly to the battery and, even with nothing else pulling power, that the solar and truck are not sufficient to recharge the battery, even for a couple of hours. Told us that we always have to turn off, not just low power, and they did this so we could take it home. It's been 3 weeks, and with snow storms, we've had it plugged in but nothing turned on because we don't want the slide out to be out with all the snow coming. Now, family coming for holiday. Followed the instructions from dealer, to turn refrigerator back on. controls work, interior lights work, but not cooling. After reading many comments and threads, (thanks everyone), we are going to disconnect all power and will try it again.
                      Cheryl

Comment

Working...
                      X