No announcement yet.

Winegard Air 360+ and Gateway Router Installation in 315RLTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Epic "FAIL" on the Winegard 360+ vs the King Jack directional antenna. I placed the 360+ on a stool that raised it above any obstructions and up to about the height of the lifted King Jack. Several distant stations in both key directions that are received by the (rotated and aligned) King Jack could not be received by the 360+.

This thing goes back in the box and back to Winegard . . . will be interesting to learn how easy this is to do . . .

Rob

Attached Files
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Did you ever get at response from Winegard?
      2020 F-250 Lariat 2WD SuperCrew 6.7L, Blue Ox SwayPro hitch w/ 1000lb bars
      2020 Imagine 2600RD w/ Road Armor + wet bolt suspension, Yakima Longhaul Bike Rack, MicroAir EasyStart 364 for AC, Lion Energy 105 amp Lithiium Ion X2
      Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ
      FMCA # 489460

Comment

Originally posted by Running from Gnats View Post
        Did you ever get at response from Winegard?
        Winegard took back their 360+ with my brief explanation of why in the return authorization request and gave me a full refund. They never asked any additional questions or offered any further reason or comment. I took from this that they were not particularly surprised.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

6 May 2020 Update

An annoyance associated with the Winegard Gateway (the WiFi extender/router connected to the 360 Air+) is whenever power is lost the main ADMIN page's password resets to the default and, of course, any device connected drops offline. The Victron system in my trailer is connected to the internet through the Winegard Gateway, so this is also a minor nuisance as I have to reconnect them.

Let me emphasize (if you haven't read this whole thread) that the reason I have this issue is because I don't have 12v (from the RV's batteries) available where I installed the Gateway, thus I'm using a 120vAC > 12V (an old laptop "brick") adapter to power the device. Even the most momentary lapse drops the power from the "brick" which in turn causes the Winegard to reset. I commented to Winegard that their Gateway should have a firmware-type memory (even if a small battery was required like a desktop computer) but they weren't interested in my input.

What I've done to overcome this problem is install a small CyberPower UPS. The specific description on Amazon is CyberPower CP350SLG Standby UPS System, 350VA/255W, 6 Outlets, Compact. As you can see in the picture below, it fits almost perfectly in the cabinet. So now the "brick" is plugged into the UPS (the brick is attached to the wall on the right, not visible in the picture) and the UPS is plugged into the outlet behind the bedroom TV. Now when power "blips", or I intentionally cycle power, the Gateway won't lose it's settings.

The added benefit is the additional surge protection from the UPS. All of my computer equipment and televisions in my home are protected by UPS'. They have kicked in numerous times at random due to unknown external power issues (usually very short, but would cause a desktop computer to reboot).

I'll update my master schematic to show this configuration change soon (for those familiar with that thread).

Howard

Click image for larger version  Name:	CyberPower.JPG Views:	0 Size:	112.3 KB ID:	18126
          Last edited by howson; 11-14-2020, 07:12 PM.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Howard, not sure how I missed this thread unless it's just that it predates my RV purchase. In other threads where you have illustrations of both the 360 and the 360+, there appears to be 12v (reg 360) coming into the wall plate where the TV connects to the coax unless I'm looking at it wrong. Could the 12v line from the 360+ be connected there? It apprears that your "brick" is a small battery backup? Much smaller than the ones I use at home. I am tempted to have a friend that runs an RV repair/service business do our installation. My wife is a real estate broker and works some when we are on the road so it is going to be a requirement to have this. Thanks for all your answers to this particular issue.
            Bill & Cindy
            2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
            2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
            SE Texas

Comment

Originally posted by BillinTexas View Post
              In other threads where you have illustrations of both the 360 and the 360+, there appears to be 12v (reg 360) coming into the wall plate where the TV connects to the coax unless I'm looking at it wrong. Could the 12v line from the 360+ be connected there?
              Unfortunately, not in my trailer. The 12v used by the antenna booster is behind the TV. The Winegard (and router) are in the bedroom.

Click image for larger version  Name:	too far away.JPG Views:	0 Size:	129.4 KB ID:	33324

It apprears that your "brick" is a small battery backup? Much smaller than the ones I use at home.
              The CyberPower CP350SLG is the smallest UPS I could find. Post #19 has more details, but the short version is the battery backup keeps the Winegard from cycling on and off each time power is cycled in the trailer.

To clarify, the UPS' power wire is routed behind the TV cabinet (there's dead space back there) and then I drilled a hole to snake it back out behind the TV where it is plugged into the cabinet's electrical outlet (behind the TV). A 120vAC to 12vDC "brick" (from an old laptop) is plugged into the UPS which in turn is wired into the Winegard (through an on/off switch as shown in this thread).

I can report that the setup is working well so far--no complaints. However, as noted by Rob's ( @Cate&Rob ) testing, those that want more directional tuning ability to maximize TV reception may find the Winegard is probably not the best. I rarely stay anywhere for long so not having to mess with spinning an antenna (for the TV) or setting up an internet booster (for WiFi) each time I stop for me is worth the trade off. YMMV
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Yes, mine is behind my TV as well. The illustration you posted in the other thread on the regular 360 shows 12v coming to that plate where the coax connects is the reason for the question. I should remove the plate and take a look I suppose. My Winegard is nearer my TV than yours being near the back of the unit and basically in the center. I would say it's 1/4 the length from the back. In the attached pic it is above the back of the large window. Behind the AC and in front of the sky light. You can only see the top of it. We honestly don't worry much about TV and actually had none our last outing. If you have wifi we would just stream if we wanted to watch anything. Our main concern is connecting my wife with her business world.
                Attached Files
                Bill & Cindy
                2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                SE Texas

Comment

Our main concern is connecting my wife with her business world.
                  Given that priority, I suggest doing a bit of "homework" using the Mobile Internet Resource Center as the subject matter expert (SME). What you need is their entire focus, with current reviews of gear and plans.

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/

If I don't have internet or TV...no big deal. I'll read (or listen) to a book.

Comment

The Winegard set up came highly recommended by an IT guy at another group I'm part of. He said he had tried them all but obviously a grain of salt would be wise. I have been to the listed site and studied a bit. I appreciate your continued dialog on this subject.

Bill & Cindy
                    2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                    SE Texas

Comment

The Winegard set up came highly recommended by an IT guy at another group I'm part of. He said he had tried them all but obviously a grain of salt would be wise. I have been to the listed site and studied a bit. I appreciate your continued dialog on this subject.
                      I will give you a fair warning, I have been all over the country and have had decent WiFi exactly twice in my life. Fort Wilderness at Disney World, and the KOA in Cherokee North Carolina. Every other time it has been worthless. I use a Ubiquiti Nanostation to bring in park WiFi and always check it, but its rarely decent. We also work full time, and rent a grandfathered unlimited data plan from Verizon and use it to feed the rig. No data caps or throttling, and except a handful of times have always had signal. The main exceptions are inside the national parks, which we usually anticipated and planned those stops for weekends.

howson is right, I also belong to the Mobile Internet Resource Center and it is a great resource.
                      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.​

Neil Citro
                      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Howard, would 12-volt power be coming to this point? This is my TV connection to the regular Winegard 360.
                        Attached Files
                        Bill & Cindy
                        2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                        SE Texas

Comment

Howard, would 12-volt power be coming to this point? This is my TV connection to the regular Winegard 360.
                          There is 12v to that antenna booster (that connection plate is actually an electronic component, aka "antenna booster").

Where is the Winegard on your 221RB in relation to the TV? Can you access the underside of the Winegard from inside the trailer? (From GD's website it looks like the TV is right inside the doorway to the right, curb side of the trailer?)

In other words, is there a way to get the 12v to the Winegard 360+? That, as you know since you've obviously read this thread, was my biggest challenge.

Comment

BillinTexas -- if you haven't seen this related thread, give it a read. The diagram (including the booster) may clarify why this antenna booster has 12v going to it. (It is NOT for the Winegard 360--it is for the signal amplification circuits in the booster.

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operation/appliances/reference-material-ag/20806-coax-cable-diagram-19-315rlts

Comment

Hey Howard did you put the switch inline of the power feed if you did how did you ground the Gateway

Comment

Originally posted by trailhiker View Post
                                Hey Howard did you put the switch inline of the power feed if you did how did you ground the Gateway
                                Welcome to the forum, trailhiker. When you get a chance check out the Welcome Letter to New Members https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

The output of the 120vAC > 12vDC "brick" (as mentioned earlier in the post is from an old laptop) has a positive 12vDC and negative 12vDC wire. The negative on the Winegard is connected to the negative from the brick. (I think the term "ground" is often confused with "negative" when associated with DC.)

Forgive me if this sounds condescending--not my intent--since I don't know your background let me amplify for just a second. Consider a flashlight with a battery. The "ground" is the negative side of the battery. Nothing special--one side of the battery is connected to the positive and one side connected to the negative. This allows power to flow through the circuit out of the battery, through the device and then back to the battery.

The same is true with the Winegard. Connect the positive side to a +12vDC wire (through a fuse and switch as shown in a previous schematic) and the negative to the -12vDC wire.

Hope that explains it.

Again, welcome!

Howard

Comment

Working...
                                X