Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar Charging

2022 Imagine 2600RB

This past weekend I was removing the battery to charge it up. On our last few camping trips I noticed that the battery was not charged. When I removed the battery I took a voltage reading at the disconnect battery leads with the disconnect switch in the on position I read 0 volts. But when I moved the switch to the off ( removed) position I was reading 13+ volts. That seems backwards to me because the switch is mostly in the on position. Am I correct that the switch is in the on position when camping and off when stored?
    Happy Thanksgiving!

The disconnect should not have any effect on the solar charge controller, it may effect the converter/charger when the key is removed it may not charge the batteries when on shore power. You may want to check the wires going to and from the disconnect to see what they are doing, they may have been installed backwards.

The disconnect does not really disconnect much. If storing more than a few days with no shore power I would recommend disconnecting the leads on the battery.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS Oct.2017 build date, EMS-HW50C , Lippert Remote
    630 ah battery, Victron Multiplus 2, 800 watts solar, 100/50 SCC
    2015 Chevy 3500HD CC LB Duramax , Reese Elite 18K

Comment

Thanks for your reply! Today I was checking the voltage at the battery lead and got 0 volts with the battery disconnect switch in the on or off position . Not sure what is going on. I then the checked the battery voltage and it was down to 11.5 volts and it was charged on Sunday and was not hooked up to anything.

I can not find the answer to set my battery charger. My battery is Interstate Battery SMR-24 deep cycle. My charger had settings for Standard, AGM or GEL any idea on what setting to use? What is a way to test the inverter? I know that there are two wires from solar panel and two wires that go to the battery.

thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by remle View Post
        Today I was checking the voltage at the battery lead and got 0 volts with the battery disconnect switch in the on or off position . Not sure what is going on.
        First--please clarify what is meant by "on" and "off". The clearest way to communicate the switch's state is to write "key removed" and "key will not remove".

I can not find the answer to set my battery charger. My battery is Interstate Battery SMR-24 deep cycle. My charger had settings for Standard, AGM or GEL any idea on what setting to use?

The Interstate SMR-24 is a wet cell, lead-acid battery. (Specifications at https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...ntrstt24dcbfel.) I believe the STANDARD setting should be used on the battery charger.

What is a way to test the inverter?
        ​​
        An inverter converts 12vDC to 120vAC. I suspect you mean how is a converter tested. A converter uses 120vAC ("shore power") to make 12vDC (which is then used to charge the battery and power devices throughout the trailer). There are several possible converter models installed in your 2600RB. In both cases the converter is inside the Power Distribution Panel. An example is below (the actual model may not match what's in your trailer--look at the sticker inside the access door.)

Provide the exact model in your Imagine and someone will advise from there how to test it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	converter.jpg Views:	0 Size:	178.6 KB ID:	100191

I know that there are two wires from solar panel and two wires that go to the battery.
        ​​

Not sure how this statement applies to the rest of the discussion? If both the converter and the solar are not charging the battery, there's definitely an issue. Given the voltages documented, I'd start with the battery--it could be bad. An auto parts store will typically do a "load test" for free.

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Howard, thanks for your help!
          When I was talking about the inverter I was talking about the MPPT 25A solar charge controller. This morning I went out to check things out and found that the solar charge controller was blinking between red and green lights. This while no power or battery to the trailer. I’m hoping that is good and the battery is my problem. I will get the battery checked this weekend.
          Happy Thanksgiving!

Comment

Howard, thanks for your help!
            When I was talking about the inverter I was talking about the MPPT 25A solar charge controller. This morning I went out to check things out and found that the solar charge controller was blinking between red and green lights. This while no power or battery to the trailer. I’m hoping that is good and the battery is my problem. I will get the battery checked this weekend.
            Happy Thanksgiving!
            Ah--that makes sense. A Solar Charge Controller is yet another component in the electrical system, usually separate and distinct from an inverter or converter. (There are cases where all these components are combined in one box...but that would be an aftermarket change to the trailer.)

As you probably know (expanding the definition for those that may read this thread) the solar charge controller takes the output of the solar panels (which is a DC voltage that can vary across a large voltage range) and converts it to the correct battery voltage for the battery in use.

Please do the forum the favor of following up with what ultimately fixes the issue--usually helps someone else that comes along with the same issue.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
            X