Crumbling Speed Box Electrical Outlet Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crumbling Speed Box Electrical Outlet Replacement

These guys have been failing for a long time, so it's time to replace them with something that can stand up to my abuse.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Speedbox.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	100235

Of course that brings up the electrical side of things. I am looking to install blue plastic boxes with standard household electrical receptacles, aka, outlets. So I pry apart one of the speed boxes and found the wires. Black on, white one, and bare one. The bare one is the ground. Now comes the hard part, There are two black ones and two white ones. I guess that's so the juice can bypass the outlet if it is not being used.

Name:	wires.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	100236

I searched for some cool replacement receptacles, found this one I think would be good, it has USB holes, that would be nice.

Name:	black-legrand-electrical-outlets-receptacles-tm826usbbkccv4-c3_100.webp
Views:	267
Size:	732 Bytes
ID:	100237

What I am having trouble with is remembering if the white wires goes to the sliver screw or the gold screw. Then I have the problem of getting two wires into the one wire connector.

If anyone has a better way to fix/replace these things I am up for suggestions and ideas.

2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
    2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
    E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
    Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Black goes to the gold screw, white to silver, ground to green.

I have not used those type of receptacles before, regular household recepts have 2 screws on each side for wiring.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Depth may be a problem. RV boxes and recs are usually pretty shallow devices, in some locations you may have to keep the RV stuff because walls can be thin.
      Yes, white to silver, black to gold. If the screws are the same colour, white to the side with the larger blade opening, black to the smaller.

Every time I see the back of those RV recs, I shake my head as to how crappy they are. Made to cause problems/fires. (IMO of course....)
      Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 11-25-2022, 05:07 PM.
      2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
      Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

You can find shallow boxes that will work in RV walls, but that receptacle look too deep to use.
        2022 3100RD
        2019 F-150 V6 Twin Turbo 10 speed
        Over 55 years TT towing

Comment

I was always taught to hook them up in this order. Green - bare (ground wire), Silver - White wire (neutral), Gold - Black or Red (Can even be what's left color wise - Line). A lot of the newer receptacles are even marked on the back with BLACK, WHITE on the sides.

As for the 2 black, 2 white, and 2 bare the receptacles are used as the junction box for the circuit, each receptacle connects the incoming line to the next downstream one. That's why when one goes out, all of the ones down the line tend to quit working.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Remember, if that new receptacle is not "sealed" it should be in a box.
            Jim (& Sharon)
            2015 GD Momentum 385TH w/ Joy Rider shocks, Sailun 637s & 3" Garage extension, LifeBlue Lithium.
            2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
            The toys:
            2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
            2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

Comment

Originally posted by d2reid View Post
              These guys have been failing for a long time, so it's time to replace them with something that can stand up to my abuse.

Name:	Speedbox.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	100235

Of course that brings up the electrical side of things. I am looking to install blue plastic boxes with standard household electrical receptacles, aka, outlets. So I pry apart one of the speed boxes and found the wires. Black on, white one, and bare one. The bare one is the ground. Now comes the hard part, There are two black ones and two white ones. I guess that's so the juice can bypass the outlet if it is not being used.

Name:	wires.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	100236

I searched for some cool replacement receptacles, found this one I think would be good, it has USB holes, that would be nice.

Name:	black-legrand-electrical-outlets-receptacles-tm826usbbkccv4-c3_100.webp
Views:	267
Size:	732 Bytes
ID:	100237

What I am having trouble with is remembering if the white wires goes to the sliver screw or the gold screw. Then I have the problem of getting two wires into the one wire connector.

If anyone has a better way to fix/replace these things I am up for suggestions and ideas.

You wiring question got answered. Look for a mobile home supply house - they carry much better made shallow receptacles
              https://www.google.com/search?client...cal+receptacle
              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I just noticed in the picture, it's marked WHT G and BLK.

Note on the 360 pic stop it on the back side and it's marked: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Square-D...510781#overlay

Don't know if I am a fan of the single lug though.
                Joseph
                Tow
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                  I just noticed in the picture, it's marked WHT G and BLK.

Note on the 360 pic stop it on the back side and it's marked: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Square-D...510781#overlay

Don't know if I am a fan of the single lug though.
                  Joseph
                  On the back are two holes at each terminal (black is gold side) for inserting striped wire into. The lug just acts as a clamp. The wire strip gauge is top left on the back. For the ground wire I would crimp the two together in a lug terminal to attach. On edit - there is a clamp insert on the ground too. I can tell from the picture if it will accommodate one wire or two.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	10.3 KB ID:	100310

However I think this plug is too deep to install in the RV, so the depth available needs to be checked.

Just my thoughts
                  Keith
                  Last edited by Yoda; 11-26-2022, 09:56 PM.
                  2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

YodaKeith, if the wires are slightly different diameters, the clamping is not the same (been there done that).
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
                      However I think this plug is too deep to install in the RV, so the depth available needs to be checked.
                      The first one will be deep enough, it's on the arm console and has about 2 feet behind it. The bedroom one will be a bit tougher, I'll have to pull it to see how much clearance there is.

2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
                      2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
                      E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
                      Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

Working...
                      X