No announcement yet.

Inverter, multiplus, solar addition begins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Popga Hi Erik, as Brian mentioned I've got a similar setup to you. I started with four lion energy batteries and later upgraded to six. I run the original Multiplus, the 3000VA version and it's been great, but today I'd buy the type 2 to simplify the wiring (it wasn't made yet when I did my install). In mine I bring the shore cord into a metal box where I split out the wiring. I send the neutral, ground, and L2 to my panel and L1 to the Multiplus. I have most of my circuits on L1 to make the most use of power assist.

One thing to keep in mind with the batteries on the tongue is the wire size from the batteries to the inverter. Normally you want that run as short as possible for voltage drop. With them out on the tongue you'll need to go up a wire size or two I'd think. Also watch the maximum current the batteries can output. My larger 3000VA inverter recommends at least three lion or Battleborn as each can put out 100A max. The 2000 you are considering should be fine with two.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
      Popga Hi Erik, as Brian mentioned I've got a similar setup to you. I started with four lion energy batteries and later upgraded to six. I run the original Multiplus, the 3000VA version and it's been great, but today I'd buy the type 2 to simplify the wiring (it wasn't made yet when I did my install). In mine I bring the shore cord into a metal box where I split out the wiring. I send the neutral, ground, and L2 to my panel and L1 to the Multiplus. I have most of my circuits on L1 to make the most use of power assist.

One thing to keep in mind with the batteries on the tongue is the wire size from the batteries to the inverter. Normally you want that run as short as possible for voltage drop. With them out on the tongue you'll need to go up a wire size or two I'd think. Also watch the maximum current the batteries can output. My larger 3000VA inverter recommends at least three lion or Battleborn as each can put out 100A max. The 2000 you are considering should be fine with two.
      Thanks, Neil....
      A problem I have is fitting the multiples. Did yours fit upright? Maybe it did because you got the 3K which I think is shorter. The MP2 is too tall unless I can work some magic.

Erol
      Erik & Tea
      2021 Reflection 297RSTS
      2005 Ford Excursion 6L diesel
      ProPride hitch

Comment

Originally posted by Popga View Post

Thanks, Neil....
        A problem I have is fitting the multiples. Did yours fit upright? Maybe it did because you got the 3K which I think is shorter. The MP2 is too tall unless I can work some magic.

Erol
        Yes mine is upright, but to be fair I have a fifth wheel with more space.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Popga

You may want to check out my Facebook post describing our solar upgrade installation at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/sola...ibextid=W9rl1R

We have a GD Imagine XLS 22RBE. I assume the pass through storage area is similar to yours. I went with all Victron components (including the Multiplus 12/3000/120), five Newpowa 240W solar panels, and two Enduro LiFePO4 300Ah batteries.
          Last edited by CTSteveO; 11-30-2022, 08:19 AM.
          Steve & Pat
          2021 Imagine XLS 22RBE; 2021 Ram1500; e2 Hitch 800
          1200W Solar; 600Ah LiFePO4; 3000W Invrtr; 30A DC-DC​

Comment

Originally posted by CTSteveO@charter.net View Post
            Popga

You may want to check out my Facebook post describing our solar upgrade installation at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/sola...ibextid=W9rl1R

We have a GD Imagine XLS 22RBE. I assume the pass through storage area is similar to yours. I went with all Victron components (including the Multiplus 12/3000/120), five Newpowa 240W solar panels, and two Enduro LiFePO4 300Ah batteries.
            For those of us not on Facebook, it sure would be helpful if you'd document the installation here in a new thread.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Fair enough. I’ll try to get it out here by the end of the day today.
              Steve & Pat
              2021 Imagine XLS 22RBE; 2021 Ram1500; e2 Hitch 800
              1200W Solar; 600Ah LiFePO4; 3000W Invrtr; 30A DC-DC​

Comment

Popga - I installed all of my components on the pass through wall on the driver's side.

Click image for larger version

Name:	New Interior set up labeled.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	100509
                Jim and Ginnie
                2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Popga

I'd love to checking on Facebook, but I'm banned....

Erik
                  Erik & Tea
                  2021 Reflection 297RSTS
                  ProPride hitch

Comment

Fair enough. I’ll try to get it out here by the end of the day today.
                    If you are able to post it here, please send me the link...

Erik
                    Erik & Tea
                    2021 Reflection 297RSTS
                    ProPride hitch

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                      Popga - I installed all of my components on the pass through wall on the driver's side.

Click image for larger version

Name:	New Interior set up labeled.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	100509
                      I think that is on the front wall, ya?
                      A possibility would be for me to hang the MultiPlus into the well underneath. Could that be the magic I needed?

Erik
                      Erik & Tea
                      2021 Reflection 297RSTS
                      ProPride hitch

Comment

Originally posted by Popga View Post

I think that is on the front wall, ya?
                        A possibility would be for me to hang the MultiPlus into the well underneath. Could that be the magic I needed?

Erik
                        Note he does not have a multiplus so his system fits well.

If you are set on a multiplus, you can mount it sideways. If you do this, I would install an additional fan to aid in cooling the Multiplus.

The multiplus has a fan that turns on when inverting and when the inverter is hot. It's at the bottom of the multiplus. Also the multiplus cooling is designed assuming the multiplus is mounted vertically. Victron does "allow" sideways mounting but does not recommend it because of the cooling issues.

This is why I would add a fan if you mount sideways. It would push more air through the multiplus to help cool it.

If you are planning on using the cerbo GX you can use the programmable relays to program some fans to turn on at a specific temperature and turn off when it cools down.
                        Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Moved posts from CTSteveO for the solar install to its own thread here Solar & Power Upgrade - Imagine XLS 22RBE - Grand Design Owners Forums (gdrvowners.com)

Brian
                          Brian & Michelle
                          2018 Reflection 29RS
                          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Did you end up doing the project? How did you mount the Multiplus.

Comment

Originally posted by Diablo View Post
                              Did you end up doing the project? How did you mount the Multiplus.
                              Hi Diablo, welcome to the forum. Please give the Welcome Letter a read (linked off the main page) to learn about tagging and quoting. Without doing so the individual you're questioning may not know there's something waiting for them.

If you'll tell us the year and model of GDRV someone else may be able to show you how they did their Multiplus.

Popga -- this one (I assume) is for you.

Howard

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Diablo howson

Sorry for delay fellas. been off-line entirely too long.
                                I have not yet figured out how to mount the multiples, I managed to blow up my second, yes, second black water tank. been preoccupied with that fix and deciding if I'm too stupid for RVing...
                                But, the second tank went in much easier. Will post my steps eventually.

Erik
                                Erik & Tea
                                2021 Reflection 297RSTS
                                ProPride hitch

Comment

Working...
                                X