X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto resetting DC breakers

Has anyone here used these?
    https://www.amazon.com/Gloaso-Automa...08ZSJDVK6&th=1

I was unaware of their existence and was searching for something else but these were suggested by amazon. So of course I clicked on it. lol. . I'm not sure I like the idea of an auto-resetting breaker, but I thought maybe they could be useful in an RV.
    Also find it amazing you can make such a small breaker.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Then there is the manual reset type. I might get some of these.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FSKDL8Y...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Comment

Scott, The trailer already uses Auto Reset breakers on the battery supply from the battery: Link to self resetting breakers on the 303: https://www.granddesignrv.com/owner-...s/detail/37552 I wish they were manual reset, but it has a convenience factor since most people will trip the breaker by accident by overloading. In my case it would happen to be at 10pm or later if it happened.

In most instances the self resetting breaker is of less amperage than the total of the fuses in the panel. Remember the panel is fed from the battery most (not always) through a self resetting breaker.

We have some equipment at work that uses a manual reset similar to these: https://www.diag-auto.biz/eshop/en/m...aker-fuse.html nice thing is the reset button is easier to access since it's not buried between the tabs. Also makes it easy to check in the dark as you only need to feel for the raised button.
      Last edited by Jlawles2; 12-02-2022, 12:00 PM.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

I was thinking it would be handy to have reset-able DC breakers in the panel next to the reset-able AC breakers.

Comment

Interesting find. I would guess that one might need a pair of tweezers or such to reset those, they would have to be fairly small to match a fuse.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

The ones I have seen are the same size but a tad taller.
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
              Has anyone here used these?
              https://www.amazon.com/Gloaso-Automa...08ZSJDVK6&th=1

I was unaware of their existence and was searching for something else but these were suggested by amazon. So of course I clicked on it. lol. . I'm not sure I like the idea of an auto-resetting breaker, but I thought maybe they could be useful in an RV.
              Also find it amazing you can make such a small breaker.
              Looks like power has to be removed to reset. So it has to be pulled out or all 12v power turned off. That would not be very convenient. Seems manual reset with the little button would be better.
              Jim (& Sharon)
              2015 GD Momentum 385TH w/ Joy Rider shocks, Sailun 637s & 3" Garage extension, LifeBlue Lithium.
              2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
              The toys:
              2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
              2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

Comment

JCR GD they just need to cool down to reset.
                1. The ATO/ ATC Automatic Reset (T1) Circuit Breaker will recycle continuously when over load current does occur.
                2. It will deflect and separate the contacts when heated and will return to its original position once it cools.
                3. This process will continue until the overload current is fixed.
                ​
                Ted
                2021 Reflection 310RLS
                2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                  Scott, The trailer already uses Auto Reset breakers on the battery supply from the battery: Link to self resetting breakers on the 303: https://www.granddesignrv.com/owner-...s/detail/37552 I wish they were manual reset, but it has a convenience factor since most people will trip the breaker by accident by overloading. In my case it would happen to be at 10pm or later if it happened.

In most instances the self resetting breaker is of less amperage than the total of the fuses in the panel. Remember the panel is fed from the battery most (not always) through a self resetting breaker.

We have some equipment at work that uses a manual reset similar to these: https://www.diag-auto.biz/eshop/en/m...aker-fuse.html nice thing is the reset button is easier to access since it's not buried between the tabs. Also makes it easy to check in the dark as you only need to feel for the raised button.
                  Before I did my big battery/solar panel upgrade, I had replaced the little two-post self resetting 30A breaker with a non-resetting marine breaker (I have a 2021 200MK). When I put the three lithium batteries in, I popped the breaker. Then I was puzzled why GD would put a 30 A breaker here if the WFCO charger was rated at 55 A, and 25 feet of 8 AWG to boot. ???

I upgraded all that to 60 A manual reset and 4 AWG with my battery upgrade, but it did leave me wondering if folks with a drained battery, or a single new lithium battery, sit around comfortably in the trailer on shore power, while the charger tries to push 55 A out to the low battery, and that little breaker just sits there cycling. I don't think you would ever know inside as the 12+ is coming off the converter and the load are both on the "load" side of that breaker.

Click image for larger version

Name:	OEM Wiring (3).jpg
Views:	520
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	100772
                  Attached Files
                  - Eric P. (2021 Transcend XPLOR 200MK)

Comment

epearce - what an excellent diagram! Very easy to read. I (assume) you created it? If so, may I suggest signing it and reposting?
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by epearce View Post
                      but it did leave me wondering if folks with a drained battery, or a single new lithium battery, sit around comfortably in the trailer on shore power, while the charger tries to push 55 A out to the low battery, and that little breaker just sits there cycling. I don't think you would ever know inside as the 12+ is coming off the converter and the load are both on the "load" side of that breaker.
                      Very likely...good find.

Comment

They would wonder why the lights blink every so often as the breaker cycles.
                        Ted
                        2021 Reflection 310RLS
                        2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
                          They would wonder why the lights blink every so often as the breaker cycles.
                          I don't think the lights would blink. The DC loads and the converter are both in the PDP and on the same side as the breaker. There might be a slight surge as the load to the batteries disconnects.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                            epearce - what an excellent diagram! Very easy to read. I (assume) you created it? If so, may I suggest signing it and reposting?
                            howson Thanks. Yes that is my creation... after I did my rewire and had a wiring diagram for my upgrade (3 lithium batteries, 3 solar panels, new MPPT, DC-DC charger, and a re-wired PDP), I trimmed that back to the original OEM wiring diagram. It does show some of the potential issues with the OEM 200MK wiring. I'll finish it up and post it with some of those observations.

Comment

Originally posted by epearce View Post

howson Thanks. Yes that is my creation...
                              What program did you use to create it? It looks very well done. (Ive read a lot of professional prints in my career that didn't look half as good)

Comment

Working...
                              X