Hughes vs Progressive EMS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hughes vs Progressive EMS

Will start by saying I have enough electrical knowledge to be useful for basic tasks, but the deeper I dive into the posts and information on the web for these units the more confused I get?
    Knock on wood, haven't really had any problems or issues with the unit I'm using - brand & model escaping me right now but it's one of the mainstream ones.

Really like the Hughes 50amp hardwired surge protector with auto shutoff unit and information the bluetooth app will provide, but in searching this site several posts talk about them not being per NEC.
    I'm going to hardwire whatever I go with, main reason I'm looking at doing this is I'm tired of the hooking/unhooking when traveling - one less thing to keep track of and do at each stop. Not much chance anyone will know what I have installed but don't want to be a "bad neighbor" causing others issues.

Couple of features I'm looking for:
    1. Hard wired to eliminate plugging/unplugging and keeping track of the unit
    2. Excellent surge protection
    3. Auto shutoff feature would be a nice feature
    Thank you in advance for feedback - this site has some pretty well informed contributors!
    Chris
    Chris
    2019 Solitude 3740BH
    2019 Chevy 3500HD Duramax SRW

I have the Progressive EMS 50 amp version hardwired into our RV. It has worked with no issues for the 4 years of use. We have had a couple instances where it had shut down the shore power due to low input voltage at the post. This is not a bluetooth version, not sure if they make one now or not, but the display is good to show the voltage being supplied and the amps being drawn. It does have a bypass switch also. I like the hardwired version for the reasons that you explain, one less thing to carry and hook up, also one less thing to forget when leaving the site, I have found a couple plug in models left behind by the previous site user. I am not familiar with the Hughes model.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I second everything Brian says about the hardwired Progressive EMS 50 amp electrical management system. They are easy to install, and even without Bluetooth control the small control monitor can be conveniently mounted in the trailer to keep you informed. Low campground AC voltage is probably the most common event you will encounter with these protective systems.
      2020 Reflection 273MK
      2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Originally posted by TheNescios View Post
        Thank you in advance for feedback - this site has some pretty well informed contributors!
        I can't offer any other insight than previously shared since I also have the Progressive. If you haven't seen my install thread, it might give some insight into the work involved. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...a-2019-315rlts

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I'm not sure what you mean by auto shutoff feature. As far as I know all ems devices will disconnect when an error is detected. I hardwired a Progressive unit in a trailer, the unit worked and had the remote readout the I installed in the basement.
          Ted
          2021 Reflection 310RLS
          2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

I will be putting in the Hughes unit, pretty much because of the replaceable sacrificial surge board. The bluetooth feature isn't huge to me..nice..but not really very important. An EMS is something you install and forget about. Until it trips your power. Then lots of people think it's the EMS..not the power source.lol.
            Not per NEC? I don't think that is likely. Would have issues selling continent wide then I'm thinking?
            Definitely get the EPO with either brand you decide to get.
            PWD50-EPO-H for the Hughes. The -H is important. It stands for Hardwired. Some people have bought the PWD50-EPO. And that is the pedestal plug in version.
            2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
            Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

TheNescios I also have the Progressive. Did the hardwired for the same reason, did not want to have to deal with hooking up the portable. Plus the hard wired also protects you from a problem in the shore cord. There was an issue a few years ago with an owner that lost the neutral in their cord and cause same expensive problems.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I went kind of a hybrid route. Used a portable Hughes unit but wired in some outlets in the basement where it stays permanently. That way if something goes wrong with it (which I have seen before) I can pull it out of the system and still have power.
                Jim & Heidi
                2021 Solitude 375RES-r
                2024 GMC Denali Ultimate DRW

Comment

Thank everyone for the feedback and info - it's helping!
                  Think I'm leaning towards the Hughes unit from the perspective of the replaceable surge protection & 6100 jules - if whatever goes wrong defeats all of this I'll assume it's a sign I'm supposed to be looking for a newer/shinier/more gadget filled RV and let the RV sales people torture me for a bit.
                  That said, I'm now seeing things like the Whisper system which adds all sorts of extra features if you have wi-fi like telling me something is wrong when I'm so far away all I could do is worry about the issue? Isn't technology fun?!
                  On another note, when I hard wire in the unit I'd like to find either a replacement twist lock 90 degree socket end where the power cord comes into the RV that I can swap out the straight one or a cord with this feature built into it - any ideas? Have been Googling and looking on Amazon and other sites with no luck. Wouldn't mind some sort of strain relief bracket that supported the power cord if the 90 degree socket wasn't available? Just don't like seeing the plug & cord come out of the RV that way.

Again, thank you everyone!
                  Chris
                  2019 Solitude 3740BH

Comment

A few people have gone to the https://smartplug.com/product-category/rv/ plugs to replace the twist connectors. Just pick the 30 or 50 amp version that you need.

Link to the conversion kit with the wall plug and the chord end. https://smartplug.com/product/smartplug-combo-kit/
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

I second the Smartplug. The 90 degree twist lock doggone doesn't hang straight down and tends to twist to unlock.
                      Ted
                      2021 Reflection 310RLS
                      2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

TheNescios -- I also like (and have installed) the Smart Plug. Full install documentation here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...n-on-a-315rlts

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

What I'm hoping to find is some sort of receptacle similar to something like this that we used in the marine industry.
                          Having the plug face down towards the ground makes SO much more sense to me than having the weight of the cord hanging off the plug/receptacle connection.
                          I know, I'm overthinking this, but this style housing and plug assemblies were darn near bulletproof and held up in a salt marine air environment so should survive RV duty very well?

Oh, and I don't want to have to re-invent/re-engineer all the parts & pieces......

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	376
Size:	482.0 KB
ID:	100845
                          Chris
                          2019 Solitude 3740BH

Comment

Originally posted by TheNescios View Post
                            What I'm hoping to find is some sort of receptacle similar to something like this that we used in the marine industry.
                            Having the plug face down towards the ground makes SO much more sense to me than having the weight of the cord hanging off the plug/receptacle connection.
                            I haven't found a 90* L5-50R, but if you find one post up a link please.
                            IMO, I'd stick with the twist lock over the smart plug. Proven reliability and replacement ends are standard NEMA L5-50P readily available. Not sure you could find a smartplug end at Menards or Lowes when you need it. Just my thoughts.

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                            Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20221206_070440_Chrome.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	100860
                              NEMA 3R PBN For outdoor generator connection.
                              Ted
                              2021 Reflection 310RLS
                              2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Working...
                              X