Hughes vs Progressive EMS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheNescios View Post
    Wouldn't mind some sort of strain relief bracket that supported the power cord if the 90 degree socket wasn't available? Just don't like seeing the plug & cord come out of the RV that way.

Again, thank you everyone!
    I had some spare 1 1/4" PVC and built a height adjustable stand to support the weight of the cable and take the strain off the plastic plug. Has worked great.

2020 Reflection 273MK
    2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Hughes unit delivered today and I'm planning out the install - pretty sure the wiring from the plug to the generator transfer switch and then on to the panel is number 8 - but not seeing any markings indicating this from the vantage points I have right now - does anyone know what guage wire is typically used? I'm going to move the generator transfer switch when I install the Hughes and ould prefer to have the wire on hand prior to starting rather than wait until I get things apart.
      Thank you!
      Last edited by howson; 12-08-2022, 07:40 AM. Reason: edited out the # and replaced with "number"
      Chris
      2019 Solitude 3740BH
      2019 Chevy 3500HD Duramax SRW

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post

I had some spare 1 1/4" PVC and built a height adjustable stand to support the weight of the cable and take the strain off the plastic plug. Has worked great.
        That would certainly work but I'd like to have something I wasn't having to break down and store.
        I loop my cable over the connection on top of the cover but lately I'm almost always on 15a power. Don't think the 50a cable would quite as compliant..lol
        Due to some coming changes in camping I'm thinking of possible clamping solutions permanently attached to the side. Or I may make a stand as well.
        2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
        Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Originally posted by TheNescios View Post
          Hughes unit delivered today and I'm planning out the install - pretty sure the wiring from the plug to the generator transfer switch and then on to the panel is number 8 - but not seeing any markings indicating this from the vantage points I have right now - does anyone know what guage wire is typically used? I'm going to move the generator transfer switch when I install the Hughes and ould prefer to have the wire on hand prior to starting rather than wait until I get things apart.
          Thank you!
          Should be 6AWG wire.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
            I have the Progressive EMS 50 amp version hardwired into our RV. It has worked with no issues for the 4 years of use. We have had a couple instances where it had shut down the shore power due to low input voltage at the post. This is not a bluetooth version, not sure if they make one now or not, but the display is good to show the voltage being supplied and the amps being drawn. It does have a bypass switch also. I like the hardwired version for the reasons that you explain, one less thing to carry and hook up, also one less thing to forget when leaving the site, I have found a couple plug in models left behind by the previous site user. I am not familiar with the Hughes model.

Brian
            Hi Brian,
            You've got a Reflection. I am going to install the Progressive Industries unit that you did and am wondering exactly where you placed yours and if it is under the hutch, how did you get into that space? You know we have a 303rls and I'd like to have it under the hutch if I can get it there.
            Eric
            2018 Reflection 303RLS, 2015 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 18k Pullrite Superglide, Tartan Campers: Lorna, Eric and Furball Finnan. "We're no awa' tae bide awa'." https://gdrvowners.com/core/images/smilies//26_17_3.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tartan campers View Post

Hi Brian,
              You've got a Reflection. I am going to install the Progressive Industries unit that you did and am wondering exactly where you placed yours and if it is under the hutch, how did you get into that space? You know we have a 303rls and I'd like to have it under the hutch if I can get it there.
              Eric
              I removed shore power connection from the power panel inside the RV and pulled that wire into the bottom of the hutch, remove all of the drawers in the hutch. I then bought a short piece of cable from Lowes, I think about 3' long to go from the EMS to the power panel and hooked the shore power cable to the "in" side of the EMS. Then screwed the EMS to the floor under the bottom drawer of the hutch. All of the wiring can be done on the floor outside the hutch. You may have to get in the pass thru to move the wires around.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I have the Hughes for the replaceable surge module. For a 50 amp circuit the wiring should be 6 ga
                2020 Momentum 397 THR, 8K axles, 17.5 Coopers, 300w solar, upgraded 2800/100 inverter/charger, LiPo4 battery's Lion Energy U1300 Ceramic Coated Pepwave router
                2019 F450 Lariat Air Bags 90 gals aux Fuel, Ceramic Coated
                Full Time RV Liven the retired life
                It's 5 O' Clock Somewhere

Comment

Bit of follow up on my install - not long after I got the Hughes hardwired, and yes - it's #8 wire & thank you for the assist on that - the rv park I'm at due to having a bit dated electrical system they're updating had one leg of power drop in the wee morning hours. Unit did it's thing and isolated the rv from the power source until the power was repaired. Gives me peace of mind knowing it will protect the rv!
                  Bad news is I had to empty out the basement the other day to replace the black tank valve (oh joy?) and looking over the electrical wiring in general which upsets me if I look at it very long, think I'm going to make some changes to where I've located the Hughes unit and generator transfer switch to improve maintenance & repair access to items in the basement.

Separate topic - is it possible to get a wiring diagram from Grand Design? Though, seeing the spaghetti mess with connections laying on the belly material I'm wondering if they know what a wiring diagram is? Reasonably certain if they adopted the practices of every other industry that makes things that move - cars, trucks, boats, motorcycles, planes, etc. and created a wiring harness approach with dedicated raceways they could reduce the labor and material costs for wiring. Okay, time to get off my soapbox.....
                  Chris
                  2019 Solitude 3740BH

Comment

Originally posted by hjmichael View Post
                    I have the Hughes for the replaceable surge module. For a 50 amp circuit the wiring should be 6 ga
                    Progressive has a replaceable surge module too. I believe if you get a surge and this module blows to protect the RV, Progressive will send you a new surge module for free under the lifetime warranty.
                    Home Base: Fairfax, Virginia
                    2021 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS Travel Trailer
                    2002 Ford F350 7.3 Diesel 4X4 SRW

Comment

TheNescios
                      Hi Chris,

Grand Design does not have wiring diagrams. The production drawings include electrical “plans” which show where each outlet or device is to go. How the wires get from one place to another is left up to the assembly plant and will often be different on the same models built at different times. Your perspective on the wiring has been voiced many times on this forum and even communicated to GD . . . but nothing changes.

Rob
                      Cate & Rob
                      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Rob,
                        Was afraid of that - but hoping they at least used what's commonly known as a "one-line diagram" to understand how they organized the circuits. With the advances in BIM modeling and huge cost savings it's providing to almost every industry you'd think someone in the RV manufacturing process would notice? Oh well, have access to a pretty nice circuit tracer so guess it's going to take a bit of time to trace things out.

Jimmer,
                        Whether Progressive or Hughes, think the replaceable surge protection is a definite value. One of main reasons for my upgrade was the original unit from when I purchased the RV caught a surge on my trip from WA to AZ so as soon as I got to AZ I got the Hughes. Did open up the old one after installing the Hughes and yep, it had clearly caught a surge - did it's job!. That brand doesn't offer replaceable components so repair would have take way more effort than it was worth.
                        Chris
                        2019 Solitude 3740BH

Comment

Working...
                        X