Side wall Plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Side wall Plug

For some reason the J1772 plug popped up on amazon and it got me to wondering . Why with all of the new EV stuff and the industrial stuff out there has the RV industry not considered using something like the J1772 plug which is designed for repeated plugging and unplugging or the NEMA 460P12W style plugs. The EV cables are at least angled down similar to the smart plug, and the NEMA ones can be bought with numerous configurations and angles. I have seen (been a long time) a camper with a recessed inlet for the power cable.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

You would be asking the 'we've always done it that way' industry to change. Even if the idea is better. That's why I changed to SmartPlug. Now they need a 90 degree wall inlet or connector.
    Ted
    2021 Reflection 310RLS
    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

The smart plug is pointing down? Hmm. I thought it was just a flush receptacle like the rest.
      2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
      Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
        For some reason the J1772 plug popped up on amazon and it got me to wondering . Why with all of the new EV stuff and the industrial stuff out there has the RV industry not considered using something like the J1772 plug which is designed for repeated plugging and unplugging or the NEMA 460P12W style plugs. The EV cables are at least angled down similar to the smart plug, and the NEMA ones can be bought with numerous configurations and angles. I have seen (been a long time) a camper with a recessed inlet for the power cable.
        Just thinking out loud, but maybe confusion? That is a 120v or 240v plug, can be either. But it would be better than the std RV plugs and will be getting to be more readily available as time goes by.

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
        Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
          The smart plug is pointing down? Hmm. I thought it was just a flush receptacle like the rest.
          The SmartPlug inlet is a flush inlet. I was just opining that they need to make a right angle inlet or cable end connector.
          Ted
          2021 Reflection 310RLS
          2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

It all comes down to $$$$$$$. The good plugs cost more and they can get the China stuff for penny's. As TedS said it they way they have always done it. At least they have a locking ring on the plugs now (and they are twist lock (30A), and don't have them pull out from an inside cabinet through a big hole in the wall. The first improvement would be to make them water proof with a good seal for inclement weather - or do the plugs mentioned above have that?

Ill go back to my corner now

Keith
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
              Just thinking out loud, but maybe confusion? That is a 120v or 240v plug, can be either. But it would be better than the std RV plugs and will be getting to be more readily available as time goes by.
              They can be both. The J1772 is 220 with no neutral. the device determines if it's 120 or 240 and then charges accordingly.

The Pin plugs have various configurations.
              Joseph
              Tow
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
                It all comes down to $$$$$$$. The good plugs cost more and they can get the China stuff for penny's. As TedS said it they way they have always done it. At least they have a locking ring on the plugs now (and they are twist lock (30A), and don't have them pull out from an inside cabinet through a big hole in the wall. The first improvement would be to make them water proof with a good seal for inclement weather - or do the plugs mentioned above have that?

Ill go back to my corner now

Keith
                The Smart Plug it's weather tight. It's got a rubber gasket in it.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Cost cannot be that much of an issue. Bit of creative searching and look what they sell down under in New Zealand. https://rvmega.co.nz/collections/230...inlet-new-flap

Now if it were just at an angle pointing down.
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

I wonder if I could install the SmartPlug inlet in this box.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20221208_154548_Chrome.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	100929
                    Ted
                    2021 Reflection 310RLS
                    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

I wonder if they make one like this without an opening https://www.zoro.com/hubbell-30a-ang...BoCTFYQAvD_BwE

Instead of having to go in and turn off the breaker.... https://www.gordonelectricsupply.com...hoCQdUQAvD_BwE
                      Joseph
                      Tow
                      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                      X