2023 Momentum 350G Breaker panel confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2023 Momentum 350G Breaker panel confusion

Trying to figure out my breaker panel operation as far as what goes to what on my new 2023 Momentum 350G. For some background, I came from a 21 - momentum 25G in which there was a separate subpanel fed from an "inverter" breaker in the main panel (since I didn't have an inverter installed). The subpanel had a "main" beaker and sub breakers labeled microwave, GFI's, which I think included the fridge in which I understood. Shut off the "inverter" breaker in main panel, "main" in subpanel, or GFI in subpanel would kill all GFI outlets as expected.

In my new 350G I found out that the "subpanel" are now the circuit breakers to the right after the two spaces, according to GD customer service. See my attached pic. There is not a separate subpanel now. Keep in mind that I do not have an inverter at this time. While monitoring the GFI outlet in the bathroom, the GFI breaker does kill the outlet (as expected) But so does "General 2", and "REFER", with the "subpanel" breaker not affecting the outlet. So I'm assuming there must just be a mis-labeling on the breakers, although the dealer said they were all verified. Looking at the wiring diagram of the WF-7925 panel (shown at the bottom right of my pic) it shows the inverter output coming into the 6th breaker from the right, which is labeled "subpanel" breaker in my box (again no inverter installed so assuming this subpanel fed from a breaker in the Line 1 group) . That would make sense in that would be the main disconnect breaker for the "subpanel" breakers to the right of it, although that breaker labeled "subpanel" does nothing to my GFI outlets and General2 breaker does! As well I don't feel the location of the breakers or the amperage rating of the breakers gives me any clues. I guess I will have to pull the panel out to see if I can make any sense out of it but was hoping someone may have already done so.

Very confusing I'm assuming but any insight before I tear into it? Thanks in advance.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Breaker panel.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	101001
    Rick and Elaine
    2023 Momentum 350G

I will try to give some insight to this panel.

The way that it is wired from the factory is the breaker labeled "sub panel" is power going to the transfer switch for the inverter. Power will come from the inverter/transfer switch back to the breaker to the far right and power the 2 breakers in between, those 2 circuits will be the only circuits with power when an inverter is used. What I am not sure about is if those 2 circuits will have power with out the inverter, I think they should but you will have to verify that. In the past year or 2 GD has moved to this new panel and away from a separate sub panel in most if not all models.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Brian,
      Thanks for your input as it has helped me better understand what to look for. What I found makes sense to the behavior of the breakers but not sure I agree with their labeling or naming of the breakers. The attached pic is what I found and I have verified everything with a voltmeter. Line 1 "REFER" is an output to supply power to the separate bus/subpanel at the right side. Power input from REFER into the subpanel area is into the "GENERAL2" breaker which powers that bus bar and provides power to the GFI breaker (frig and outlets) as well as to the remaining breakers on that bus bar. As you mentioned in your post the wire to the "SUBPANEL" breaker seems to lead to the front battery box area and loops back to the "GENERAL 1" breaker. verified this by turning off the general 1 breaker and monitoring the voltage at that same breaker while turning the "subpanel" breaker on and off. I also traced it toward the front battery box as well as removed all power and checked continuity from the wires between both of those breakers.

I am not familiar with the solar or inverter setup yet as mine is only preped for it and I don't have plans for it right now so I can leave the 1st and last breaker off in the subpanel area. Another question, would the breaker labeled "REFER" be mis-labeled as Im not sure what that refers to as it is clearly power to the seperate bus or subpanel breakers. All other breakers in the panel were easily identifiable as they powered a single item.

Otherwise does the attached pic look reasonable to you as I have illustrated the wiring to/from the subpanel breakers (at least on my unit)?

Click image for larger version

Name:	breaker panel wiring.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	101010
      Rick and Elaine
      2023 Momentum 350G

Comment

You may need to pull the cover. The ones we have seen like this are a bit odd to begin with. All the stuff to the left of the main runs off of one leg, and the stuff to the right has a break in the bus bar. At that break, there is one breaker that is used to "feed" the rest of the bus bar. I would guess that the one labeled sub panel feeds the ones to the right.

There is a post somewhere here that shows the inside of one of the panels. Look at the wiring diagram on the panel.

Took me a bit: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...r-prep-musings

It's possible that they are feeding the sub panel from Leg 1 as you have marked, you will have to pull the cover and verify. Note there is a break in the bus bar and they are reverse feeding the internal sub bar through a breaker.
        Last edited by Jlawles2; 12-10-2022, 07:33 PM.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

I think you have a pretty good handle on it so far. I also agree with Joseph above to remove the cover, make sure power is off first please, and check the wiring against your notes, the breakers do seem to be mislabeled. The loop out to the battery box area is designed for the inverter prep, solar will have no effect on the 120 v ac side of things.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Joseph,
            Thanks for digging up that post as that helps a lot as well. I searched but couldn't find anything. I did remove the cover and verified that there is a separated bus bar on the right and helped me ID some of the wiring so I am confident on what I have found/posted. I will also help when/if I want to add an inverter.
            Rick and Elaine
            2023 Momentum 350G

Comment

Working...
            X