WF-8955PEC Power Center Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WF-8955PEC Power Center Question

I have the above power center in my 2020MY GD Imagine 2250RK and am thinking about "going solar" and moving now to the next step in my research. I've been unable to find out which power center, preferably but not required, WFCO, that I would need to convert to that supports the LiFePO4 batteries, a panel array, and all the associated items needed. I will call the WFCO folks, but will not rely on them alone, as I value too much the GD folks experience and knowledge to make a decision based only on one source of information. All input is appreciated.
    Dave and Sue
    2020 GD 2250RK
    2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
    Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
    GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
    SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay โš“๏ธ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

Originally posted by Schiefswret View Post
    I have the above power center in my 2020MY GD Imagine 2250RK and am thinking about "going solar" and moving now to the next step in my research. I've been unable to find out which power center, preferably but not required, WFCO, that I would need to convert to that supports the LiFePO4 batteries, a panel array, and all the associated items needed. I will call the WFCO folks, but will not rely on them alone, as I value too much the GD folks experience and knowledge to make a decision based only on one source of information. All input is appreciated.
    Hi Dave. Are you planning on installing an inverter to run all AC in the trailer? That may change the answer you get

Based on the year of your trailer I there is a really good chance the charger in your distribution panel is not optimized for lithium. You can replace the distribution panel, add a different charger/converter that is optimized for lithium, or keep existing charger/converter (it will charge the lithium batteries, but will shorten the lifespan a little).

You can get a replacement charger/converter that autodetects battery chemistry which might be the easiest solution: https://wfcoelectronics.com/product/...oard-assembly/

I hope this is a little helpful
    Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Wow, lots of great info here which is super helpful. Thank you!!! edit: to answer your question, yes, I would intend on adding an inverter to run all oem ac outlets.
      Last edited by Schiefswret; 12-15-2022, 12:08 PM.
      Dave and Sue
      2020 GD 2250RK
      Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

Dave,

You will want the converter/charger to be as close to the lithium batteries as possible, this helps to keep the wiring as small as possible, farther away larger wire size. With that said I would disable the stock converter/charger and mount a deck mount version close to the battery bank. I have had good luck with this model Amazon.com: Powermax PM4 75A 110V AC to 12V DC 75 Amp Power Converter with Built-in 4 Stage Smart Battery Charger : Automotiveโ€‹, also available in different amperage for the specifications of the batteries.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Good stuff, thanks a bunch Brian.
          Dave and Sue
          2020 GD 2250RK
          Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

Are you in the mood to add an Inverter while doing this set up?

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Good stuff, thanks a bunch Brian.
              I would second everything Brian is saying. I just did the same and added the Powermax 120A charger/converter in my front compartment so that I could keep my runs short to the Lithium PO4 battery bus bar. I added the inverter as well which will power all my electrical outlets and my microwave should I desire to use it on battery power.

Attached Files
              40-year Camping Enthusiast
              2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS with tons of upgrades
              2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC LB SRW D-Max 3865 Cargo Capacity

Comment

Wow, lots of great info here which is super helpful. Thank you!!! edit: to answer your question, yes, I would intend on adding an inverter to run all oem ac outlets.
                If you intend to invert power to entire trailer, you may not want to have a converter/charger at all. If you chose a VIctron Multiplus, it will invert and charge your batteries. As the entire trailer will go through an inverter, you really don't need a converter. The batteries will supply all DC power, and the multiplus will charge the batteries at the same time, so you really don't need a converter. So...if you do this, I would just disconnect/remove the converter/charger from the distribution panel.

Many on this forum have done this upgrade. There is a lot of knowledge and experience at your fingertips.
                Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Originally posted by acoleman43 View Post

If you intend to invert power to entire trailer, you may not want to have a converter/charger at all. If you chose a VIctron Multiplus, it will invert and charge your batteries. As the entire trailer will go through an inverter, you really don't need a converter. The batteries will supply all DC power, and the multiplus will charge the batteries at the same time, so you really don't need a converter. So...if you do this, I would just disconnect/remove the converter/charger from the distribution panel.

Many on this forum have done this upgrade. There is a lot of knowledge and experience at your fingertips.
                  Schiefswret

I second this approach as the installation is very easy and you will not need to mess with transfer switch, sub panels, or everything else involved. If you have a 30A service then the Muitilus is the way to go. For a 50A the Multiplus II is what you want. In simple term you disconnect the shore power form the distribution panel and then run the shore power to it, and then from the multiplus take the output inverter.shore power back to the distribution panel. When not using the inverter and on shore power the Multiplus will pass through the shore power and charge the batterys. The battery bank connects to it also. The Multiplus can be programed for any battery types and a custom charge program can be set up if needed. As for you existing converter, leave it in place, but disconnected (easy to do).

There are several threads on various installs documented here. Also consider a DC-DC charger set up for travel days.

Also don't let the initial cost get to you. By the time you peace meal a separate stand alone inverter, transfer switch and a lithium compatible converter you will be spending more, especially all the extra wiring and connectors. Don't ask how I know

Keith

My install thread is here but as you have a TT some things will be different. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/solar/5...-don-t-mess-up
                  2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Schiefswret

I second this approach as the installation is very easy and you will not need to mess with transfer switch, sub panels, or everything else involved. If you have a 30A service then the Muitilus is the way to go. For a 50A the Multiplus II is what you want. In simple term you disconnect the shore power form the distribution panel and then run the shore power to it, and then from the multiplus take the output inverter.shore power back to the distribution panel. When not using the inverter and on shore power the Multiplus will pass through the shore power and charge the batterys. The battery bank connects to it also. The Multiplus can be programed for any battery types and a custom charge program can be set up if needed. As for you existing converter, leave it in place, but disconnected (easy to do).

There are several threads on various installs documented here. Also consider a DC-DC charger set up for travel days.

Also don't let the initial cost get to you. By the time you peace meal a separate stand alone inverter, transfer switch and a lithium compatible converter you will be spending more, especially all the extra wiring and connectors. Don't ask how I know

Keith

My install thread is here but as you have a TT some things will be different. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/solar/5...-don-t-mess-up
                    Hi Keith----I've only been following these threads for a few months now but I did my own research based on what I wanted to achieve for inverted power, LiPO4 batteries, simplicity, and cost and went the individual piece meal route as you noted. I was able to do all those things with a 2000 watt inverter for 1/4th- 1/3rd the cost of the Victron system. While I think the Victron system rocks and I know everyone loves it....just didn't make sense for me as a weekend warrior who only camps throughout the summer and fall. If I were a full-timer.....no question about it. I took the money that I saved and invested in more battery power so that I could bookdock longer and enjoy life without a generator or shore power. It seems that each person needs to determine what their goals are and their budget and then choose a path that fits.....IMHO..... I will note that my unit already had the GD inverter prep option which did reduce the amount of wiring and any splitting of the 120v bus circuits. My inverter will run ALL my electrical and GFCI outlets and the microwave but will not run the fireplace or the A/C units which was totally fine with me.
                    40-year Camping Enthusiast
                    2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS with tons of upgrades
                    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC LB SRW D-Max 3865 Cargo Capacity

Comment

Thank you all!! Very helpful !!
                      Dave and Sue
                      2020 GD 2250RK
                      Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

Originally posted by COReflection View Post

Hi Keith----I've only been following these threads for a few months now but I did my own research based on what I wanted to achieve for inverted power, LiPO4 batteries, simplicity, and cost and went the individual piece meal route as you noted. I was able to do all those things with a 2000 watt inverter for 1/4th- 1/3rd the cost of the Victron system. While I think the Victron system rocks and I know everyone loves it....just didn't make sense for me as a weekend warrior who only camps throughout the summer and fall. If I were a full-timer.....no question about it. I took the money that I saved and invested in more battery power so that I could bookdock longer and enjoy life without a generator or shore power. It seems that each person needs to determine what their goals are and their budget and then choose a path that fits.....IMHO..... I will note that my unit already had the GD inverter prep option which did reduce the amount of wiring and any splitting of the 120v bus circuits. My inverter will run ALL my electrical and GFCI outlets and the microwave but will not run the fireplace or the A/C units which was totally fine with me.
                        I completely agree with you and your approach. Most people can't drop thousands upon thousands on batteries and more thousands on Victron stuff. I couldn't afford Victron and Battle Born with the capacities I wanted, so I did the opposite of you and chose Victron and made my own batteries. I was able to save over $4000 vs Battle Born, and about $1400 vs SOK which put it within reach of my budget.

Either way, you don't have to have the best of everything to have a great, functioning system that provides what you want.
                        Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Much thanks, very helpful !
                          Dave and Sue
                          2020 GD 2250RK
                          Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

Working...