Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anderson SB 120 to power point connection - need a quick bush fix.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anderson SB 120 to power point connection - need a quick bush fix.

OK I got myself in a pickle. I had it all figures out to put my new CFX cooler in the truck back seat area (seat folded up) and everything would be good. However we made arrangements with a house sitter to cover my dog and our cat and two horses. He got sick over the weekend and,,,,well lets .... frustrated to say the least - EMMA , my GSD is going with us now to Mississippi.

SOOOOOO - the cooler now goes in the bed. I have power there with my Anderson SB120 connector, but I dont have a spare SB 120 to match it to to make up a quick adapter to a female power point socket to power it. No one in town has anything Andersen related in stock, but I do have sources for the power point socket.

The problem is connecting to the existing Anderson plug, It looks like I can just use a SB connector pin with shrink wrap inserted into the pug for the positive/negative, but even the pins are not available.

Any thoughts on a bush fix to connect up. I know I should have planed better. I was thinking of some sort of stud with the wiring soldered to it.

An option is to order the correct stuff online and ship to Mississippi, but shipping is so iffy now

Another question will the single power pole 120 housings with pin fit in each side of the SB 120 connector? Will an SB50 pin fit the SP 120 connection without the housing? Napa may have the SB50 pins in stock, but do not stock the SB 120 pins. I know the SP 150 housing and SB120 housings do not fit each other.

Thanks for any help on this.

Keith
    Last edited by howson; 12-16-2022, 09:34 AM.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Hi Keith,

Do you have any test instrument connection wires that might have plug ends that would fit? Maybe ones wrapped in aluminum foil?

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
      Hi Keith,

Do you have any test instrument connection wires that might have plug ends that would fit? Maybe ones wrapped in aluminum foil?

Rob
      Ill haft to look, but i think they are too small of a diameter. The pins in the SB120 are at least a 1/4" wide and the gap the same. But a good idea. Hmm - I might have some 1/4" copper tubing I might be able to crimp down to fit. I have a lot of packing to do tomorrow so if I don't get it done I have my Ice cooler I will take and leave the power unit home.

Keith
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

keith, can you post pics of the 2 items you are trying to mate? too many hours traveling and cannot picture the issue.

I might have a bit of a picture after about the 3rd time through it. You are trying to make a cigarette lighter plug out of the andersen, correct? Do you have a socket? If so, stop by the local parts house and get 1 male 7 way, 1 female 7 way and build a Wye off the in bed 7 way adding the power socket.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Another thought, if you have an aftermarket end on the 5er plug you can add the power point to that.

I almost hate to suggest you clip the cable on the cooler, but you could add one of these to the cooler, drop one out of the connector box on the RV (feeding off the truck end) and then put one to reconnect the original end of the plug back to the cooler. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
          Joseph
          Tow
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Yoda, I have a pair of Workman DC4 connectors called Anderson style. Don't know if they interconnect. New, never used.
            Last edited by TedS; 12-15-2022, 10:05 PM.
            Ted
            2021 Reflection 310RLS
            2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

I actually have a one of these for each truck if you are not pulling the camper: https://www.amazon.com/POLLAK-11-896.../dp/B002UC8U7G
              Joseph
              Tow
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                keith, can you post pics of the 2 items you are trying to mate? too many hours traveling and cannot picture the issue.

I might have a bit of a picture after about the 3rd time through it. You are trying to make a cigarette lighter plug out of the andersen, correct? Do you have a socket? If so, stop by the local parts house and get 1 male 7 way, 1 female 7 way and build a Wye off the in bed 7 way adding the power socket.
                DOH!
                Genius
                I have a spare 7 way plug and cord and can get the power point socket at several locations - That should work as the unit only draws about 2A max at full load. BTW what color wire is the 12+ in a std cord and the ground wire color.

Thanks Keith

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	7-way wiring.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	101322 Here ya go
                  Ted
                  2021 Reflection 310RLS
                  2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                    I actually have a one of these for each truck if you are not pulling the camper: https://www.amazon.com/POLLAK-11-896.../dp/B002UC8U7G
                    Joseph
                    Genius too. I did not know that plug existed. Ill check the RV dealer in the AM. Neither Walmart or Home Depot stock it.

The knowledge in this place is fantastic

Merry Christmas

Keith

Comment

Originally posted by TedS
                      Never mind.
                      I don't know why you said never mind - If Tarply does not have the adapter ( which is probably the case) your wiring diagram is invaluable.
                      Thanks

So folks know I am very apprehensive about this trip, First this will be the first major trip with Emma, my 10 year old German Sheppard, with severe hip issues. I got the crew cab to give her room to stretch out. I haft to lift her in as she cant jump up. Then finding hotel that take larger dogs which I did for the trip down. Once there I know she will love it (warmer weather, walks - all of the attention). Second the whole idea of the cooler was to bring back gulf shrimp and good quality catfish and red fish and sausage. Only in Mississippi and that neck of the woods can I find real sausage like Polk's or other local variety's. I try to stock up. However I do have an out as I need to make another Trailer trip to Georgia with a swing back south along the gulf (when fixed) to haul to the daughter the rest of her stuff so I can get the new truck in the garage. This trip is important to SWMBO to see the the family as they are well into thier 80's and 90's with major health issues- who knows. She was not happy during the Alaska trip - went to keep me happy so to say.

So over the holidays please keep us in mind, and I hope Hal (the truck) runs without issues. As I don't have the trailer I am considering running through Dallas on a Sunday (10 AM'ish) from 287 to I 20 around the north side. I hate heavy traffic. My other route is from 287 cut east on 82 to Texarkana and the south on I49 to I20 the east. It looks like all 2 lane

So Ted I do appreciate what you have provided here - sorry if I did not respond sooner.

Thanks and Merry Christmas along with the Best for the New Year

Keith
                      Last edited by Yoda; 12-16-2022, 12:59 AM.

Comment

Keith, if you do not need the cooler on the way down, order the adapter and have it drop shipped to the destination. Alternative, take a Yeti (or other roto moulded cooler), and pack everything with dry ice.

Might not be a bad idea to drop a connector in the bed for the cooler for future use. https://www.amazon.com/DaierTek-Ciga...%2C109&sr=8-20
                        Joseph
                        Tow
                        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Yoda, I had written a wrong info reply, number 11, that I could not delete so simply wrote "Never mind." just to insert text. Didn't know where the delete button was.
                          Ted
                          2021 Reflection 310RLS
                          2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Well no luck, so I will just take the ice chest for now and order one later.

Question - I tried my spare trailer plug cord, and with the truck running in park I do not get 12V. Then I remembered there is a trick, but searching I could not find it. So for my 2022 F350 how do I activate the charge circuit? E- trailer says the truck needs to be in gear. If so it wold be tough to fire up the cooler and set temperatures with a truck in gear. I don't trust just a parking brake.

I am feeling better today
                            Thanks
                            Keith

Comment

Does the truck have to sense a battery is connected before activating the 12v?
                              Ted
                              2021 Reflection 310RLS
                              2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Working...
                              X