Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Charger requirements

Hello
    I have a 2016 27RL and would like to maintain/ charge both batteries by being plugged into a 120V 15A power outlet over the winter. The trailer is in storage and therefore I don't anticipate needing greater than 10A to keep the batteries charged. I have done this before with my previous Class A motorhome but unsure if the Grand Design unit will operate properly at that level. Appreciate any advice you can offer.
    Thanks!
    BradF
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2023 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.6L Gas with B&W 3710

Based on my own experience, you should be fine. I had mine plugged into 15 amp power for months on end with no detrimental effects. The only thing I'd recommend is that if your batteries are flooded lead acid, you check the liquid levels every 30-60 days to make sure they are not evaporating.

Another option for you is to fully charge the batteries and then disconnect them. They will do very well in freezing temperatures as long as they are charged up.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Thanks Jim, appreciate the information. I will check the levels. I had to do that with the motor home batteries as well.
      Brad
      BradF
      2016 Reflection 27RL

Comment

I would also recommend turning all unneeded breakers off, this will eliminate something coming on when not needed. You will need the main on and the converter/charger, the rest could be turned off. Make sure that the converter/charger breaker does actually power it. Also make sure the battery disconnect is in the proper position so the batteries will charge, pushed in and turned so that it can not be removed, if your unit has one.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thanks Brian, great suggestions. I would not have thought of that.
          Brad
          BradF
          2016 Reflection 27RL

Comment

Working...
          X