Installing 50amp RV outlet at home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing 50amp RV outlet at home

Hey everyone - First off, if there is already a thread on this specific topic please point me in the right direction (still getting used to using the forum). I am in the process of adding a 50amp RV outlet to the side of our house to have shore power when needed. The electrical box is easily accessible (located on same wall and just above where the RV plug is going) and there's plenty of room and capacity in the panel box for the new outlet. My father is an electrician so we are in good shape in that regard... However, the part we are struggling with is finding a combination of 50amp outlet and power cord/extension cord that play nicely together.

Most cords come with some sort of handle (the three finger handle or the Powergrip on the Camco models). These bulky handles make it so we cant find a 50amp outlet that will allow for the weatherproof door on the outlet to fully close when the cord is plugged in. We have found higher quality (good connections on the wires, well built box, etc.) 50amp outlets (made by GE or Midwest Electric), but none of those come with a deep enough front plate that will allow the door to fully close when bulky handle is plugged in. We have found other 50amp outlets on Amazon that advertise the ability to fully close with the bulky handles of the cords, but the reviews on those outlets arent great at all (brands like RVGUARD) from an electrical standpoint (most common complaint is poor connections on the wires and small screws that strip out).

So I am kind of stuck in a tough spot... choose a high quality 50amp outlet, but not be able to close the front plate fully due to the bulky handle... OR... choose a lower quality 50amp outlet but have the ability to close the front plate fully. Does anyone have any suggestions on RV outlets that have worked well for you? Any specific brands/models that would solve my problem with fitting the bulky cord handle?

It may be plenty weatherproof with the door propped on the cord handle and not closed fully, but I would certainly like to close the door the whole way (especially with how much it rains here in OR). I have even considered cutting the "power handle" off my Camco cord so it would fit properly, but then it would be much harder getting the plug in and out. I am also trying to avoid buying a little dogbone/adapter that would go from my 50amp cord to a smaller cord head that would fit in the outlet box, as then I would have another connection outside to worry about in the weather. Any advice on this topic would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance and happy holidays!
    Shane & Ashlyn
    2023 Imagine 2910BH
    2022 Silverado 2500HD, 6.6L Gas, Equalizer 14K

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20221223-091826_Chrome.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	101778

At etrailer.
    Ted
    2021 Reflection 310RLS
    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Thanks TedS! You just made this a super easy fix. Keep the high quality 50amp outlet I already have.... but get a different extension cord. I can easily return the 30ft Camco one I have now (with the bulky handles) and replace it with a 25ft Mighty Cord version without the bulky handle. I really only wanted a 25ft cord anyways (Camco made me choose between 15,30,50ft for the 50amp cord). I appreciate your time responding to this. Thank you!
      Shane & Ashlyn
      2023 Imagine 2910BH

Comment

Ha - I have the 30a cord that came with the trailer, and I've also though about just sawing off the huge pull rings for the same reason. Whoever came up with that never plugged one into a weather proof box!
        Ottertail, Minnesota
        2022 Imagine 2500RL VIN 573TE3029N6637046
        2022 Ford F-150 Lariat, SuperCrew, long box, max tow

Comment

Whomever came up with the handles as mentioned never used a weather proof box, and probably has low hand strength. I can see where they are handy when it comes to disconnecting from new sockets, but most of the public ones are so worn out you don't think they are making connection.

I like the ones on the plug in surge protector, they at least fold down out of the way.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Name:	Screenshot_20221223-112842_Chrome.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	101800

I bought this cable for my SmartPlug. It has folding T-handle on the molded plug.
            Ted
            2021 Reflection 310RLS
            2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

This 50 Amp outlet might help with those bulky handles.

https://www.amazon.com/Leisure-Cords.../dp/B08V83R316

Name:	image.png
Views:	239
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	101835
              Ron
              2023 Reflection 297RSTS (Mid-Year Change)
              2022 RAM MegaCab 2500 Laramie, 6.4L Hemi

Comment

I always used my surge protector, even at home so had no problems due to that. The 3 finger handle fit in there just fine.
                Bill & Cindy
                2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
                2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                SE Texas

Comment

Closing the loop on this topic. I just received the new 25’ extension cord today (the one without the bulky handle) and it fits perfectly in the outlet and allows the weatherproof door to fully close. As an added bonus, the Mighty Cord brand def seems more heavy duty than the Camco cord I had prior.

As a reference for anyone else trying something similar, below are the links to the products I used:

50amp Outlet:
                  https://www.homedepot.com/p/Midwest-...054P/100193650

50amp Extension Cord:
                  https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Power-Co...A10-5025E.html

Thanks again for the help everyone, appreciate it!

Attached Files
                  Shane & Ashlyn
                  2023 Imagine 2910BH

Comment

Working...
                  X