Batteries and temperature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batteries and temperature

I don't see where this has been posted on this forum yet... The link to this interview with the CEO of Battle Born Batteries was posted on another forum I follow. It's an informative discussion of charging and using Li ion batteries at low temperatures. I found it very informative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywn-...ature=youtu.be

Rob
    Rob & Laura
    U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
    2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
    (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Originally posted by Second Chance View Post
    I don't see where this has been posted on this forum yet... The link to this interview with the CEO of Battle Born Batteries was posted on another forum I follow. It's an informative discussion of charging and using Li ion batteries at low temperatures. I found it very informative.
    Thanks Rob. My ardor for LiPo dimmed at the beginning of that video - no charging in sub-freezing weather?! I live where sub-freezing weather was invented! Our trailer has been plugged in on our driveway for months in freezing and sub-freezing temps. The 4X6V Trojans are doing fine.

The video did later clarify that low-amperage charging is possible below the freezing point, but not far below (25F or -4C). I'll have to either reconsider buying these or ensure that we are always somewhere warm with our trailer. I don't mind the latter choice but my wife will become a Trojan fan.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Originally posted by boyscout View Post

Thanks Rob. My ardor for LiPo dimmed at the beginning of that video - no charging in sub-freezing weather?! I live where sub-freezing weather was invented! Our trailer has been plugged in on our driveway for months in freezing and sub-freezing temps. The 4X6V Trojans are doing fine.

The video did later clarify that low-amperage charging is possible below the freezing point, but not far below (25F or -4C). I'll have to either reconsider buying these or ensure that we are always somewhere warm with our trailer. I don't mind the latter choice but my wife will become a Trojan fan.
      Battle Born offers thermostatically controlled heating pads for the batteries - and they're working on an internal heating solution. That would be far simpler than trying to control the weather.

Rob
      Rob & Laura
      U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
      2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
      2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
      (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
      Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Working...
      X