How cold did your batteries get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How cold did your batteries get?

With the "historic" cold weather this week, how cold did your batteries get? what did you do to protect your electrical equipment?

Click image for larger version

Name:	cold battery.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	101887
    Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Temps were low (for NW Florida). The batteries are tucked away in the passthru so I didn't do anything out of the ordinary.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Let the BMS Decide.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	101890
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Since I live in Southern Arizona, it's rare to see low temps below freezing, and typically they only last a couple of hours until it warms up again. So I have three Battle Born batteries on the A frame of my trailer. But even if we travel somewhere in much colder weather, I'm not too worried about them. Battle Born batteries are designed to accept a charge down to 24°F. And they will continue to provide power down to -4°F.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Today is forecast to actually get above 0F! Low tonight is only -8, the warmest low in a week. My batteries are safely in the heated garage. We leave for AZ tomorrow and will put the small lead-acid in until we get to decent temperatures for the lithium.
        Ottertail, Minnesota
        2022 Imagine 2500RL VIN 573TE3029N6637046
        2022 Ford F-150 Lariat, SuperCrew, long box, max tow

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
          Since I live in Southern Arizona, it's rare to see low temps below freezing, and typically they only last a couple of hours until it warms up again. So I have three Battle Born batteries on the A frame of my trailer. But even if we travel somewhere in much colder weather, I'm not too worried about them. Battle Born batteries are designed to accept a charge down to 24°F. And they will continue to provide power down to -4°F.

Jim
          Jim,

The problem with BB and some other manufacturers is the low temp cut off for charging is really not a single value but rather a curve or linear relationship. The only maker I have seen that posts this curve is Trojan. So while some batteries can handle a 1C charge there is no way it can handle this charge right down to 24F as an example. I believe manufactures want to keep the lithium use simple to not overwhelm the consumer in order to keep sales up. I would rather they keep us informed in how to get the most out of these expensive batteries. Such as storing at 50% SOC and use beween 20% - 80% SOC for increased longivity.

Jim

Comment

Working...
          X