Lithium Batteries and TV Alternator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lithium Batteries and TV Alternator

Is a battery isolator or DC-DC charger a necessary part of converting from SLA batteries to lithium?

Has anyone damaged an alternator as a result of switching battery types?

2022 Reflection 280RS
    2020 Silverado HD 4WD
    2022 Reflection 280 RS
    2020 Silverado 2500 HD

Originally posted by BR549 View Post
    Is a battery isolator or DC-DC charger a necessary part of converting from SLA batteries to lithium?

2022 Reflection 280RS
    2020 Silverado HD 4WD
    I ran with no DC to DC with my lithium batteries for over a year with no issue, I made the upgrade to increase charging power, I could only get about 7 amps out of the factory charging setup. I moved up to a Renogy 40A DC to DC and it's been great.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

My RV has three 100aH LiFePO4 batteries for three years now. I tow with the alternator providing current to keep them topped off. In addition, I keep my solar charging on at the same time.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by BR549 View Post

2022 Reflection 280RS
        2020 Silverado HD 4WD
        The alternator will not fully charge the lithium batteries where a full charge should occasionally be performed to balance the cells in the battery. The only damage I am aware of to the alternator would be to apply a significant load to the alternator at idle where cooling wouild be limited while the vehicle is stationary. I spoke directly with Denso over this matter who expressed there concern with the diodes overheating in the rectifier bridge. Your vehicle while the alternator has some smart controls can only respond to an outside load by simply working to try and make it up. Also there are cases of folks leaving the 7 way plugged in where backfeeding can occur in vehicles that do not utilize a relay.

Jim

Comment

BR549 -- for clarity, so far all the posts assume the charging is done via the truck's 7-pin charge line (thus it is protected). Definitely do NOT try to charge the LifePO4 directly from the alternator--doing that will fry the alternator as the LifePO4 can draw way too many amps. Victron has a video on this topic (google YouTube and you'll find it).

Many here have increased our ability to charge our batteries while towing by using a DC-DC converter wired to the truck's electrical system. It's a long thread (with a lot of lessons-learned) but it should help you understand one installation (there are many other here if you'll search for them): https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...e-battle-borns

Howard
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
          X