Victron monitor display not showing current, etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victron monitor display not showing current, etc

Recently I disconnected the negative cable from battery to replace the propane alarm. Now the display does not show current, power, etc. it was not even showing SOC but I tried to synchronize and got it up. Any ideas how to get it to function again?

Click image for larger version

Name:	427231E9-1550-410F-8758-1E75B5288CDE.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	102204
    Vivian
    2018 Reflection 303rls
    Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
    Demco Recon

Hi Vivian. You can try disconnecting the wire between the meter and the shunt in order to reboot the meter. After disconnecting, wait 30-60 seconds before plugging back in.

Name:	Shunt disconnect.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	102207

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
      Hi Vivian. You can try disconnecting the wire between the meter and the shunt in order to reboot the meter. After disconnecting, wait 30-60 seconds before plugging back in.
      Jim, I was hoping this simple suggestion would work but it did not. Also the SOC according to the reading on the Lippert panel at the leveling system reads 13.4 not 13.18 might have to reset the whole thing.
      Last edited by howson; 12-31-2022, 10:57 AM. Reason: Trimmed quote...
      Vivian
      2018 Reflection 303rls
      Demco Recon

Comment

Vivian,

If you are not drawing more than the converter/charger is putting out then there would be not much draw on the battery, hence there would be no amp draw showing on the app. Turn on the furnace or all of the lights to see if that makes a difference, just trying to think thru this.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Beachcamper -- is it a BMV-712? If so, does the BMV's display also unresponsive or is it different from what you're seeing via the VictronConnect app? (I'm a bit stumped at this point on what could be the issue--I've disconnected mine countless times and never ran into an issue.)

Howard
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Yes it’s the BMV 712. Before Xmas when all this started, our propane alarm was at end of life and the beeping would keep us awake. The new alarm came in a week later and I tried to turn power off to it via fuses but none were assigned to it. When I could not find a fuse that would turn it off I went to battery and disconnected the negative cable.. Once I got the wires out, I realized they used two 12 gauge wires and the 14 gauge of the alarm in a closed end crimp connector. The largest size closed end connectors I have are 14 so used a screw cap until my Wago order came in and holidays over.

So yesterday is when I noticed all this on the display as I was ready to redo the install of the propane alarm using the Wago (awesome BTW). Just a while ago I shut the power to the converter this time to see if that would reset the monitor and to reinstall alarm. After the install when I turned on the converter it is now reading current but SOC not on yet, I will wait a few hours. I reset the current and did the zero calibration compared it to meter readings so that is correct. At display voltage was 13.2 but meter shows 13.1

I also changed my settings from the original settings. I used AM Solars online setting guide for the lifeline AGM battery but after reading the Victron manual I am going with their recommendations for AGM/Lead Acid.

I have nothing but two 100ah AGM batteries to monitor. No solar no inverter stock converter.

. Click image for larger version  Name:	D5DDE51B-8AF1-464E-9868-76491E9F72A6.png Views:	0 Size:	51.3 KB ID:	102228

Click image for larger version  Name:	9FE37F2F-1CA1-4601-AEB3-E0EC247B078F.png Views:	0 Size:	78.5 KB ID:	102227
            Vivian
            2018 Reflection 303rls
            Demco Recon

Comment

Beachcamper -- did you try Brian's idea to fire up the furnace or some other high amperage 12V device to see if the app reflects the load? (You'll want to be on battery only to ensure it's not fooled by the converter's output, so turn off the converter using the circuit breaker.)
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

howson turn off converter first?
                Vivian
                2018 Reflection 303rls
                Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post
                  howson turn off converter first?
                  If you don't the converter will likely provide all of the 12vDC power to whatever is powered on. The only current measured by the BMV is what flows through it. That's power that goes IN or OUT of the battery. The power from the converter can (and does) "bypass" the BMV's shunt.

Remember--the BMV is only concerned about tracking the power that goes IN or OUT of the battery.

Hope that makes sense.

Howard

Comment

Well just tried without turning off converter but will try with it off. All lights inside trailer on

Click image for larger version  Name:	0D65FA1F-9DF7-4907-9579-B4499C17C696.jpg Views:	0 Size:	138.8 KB ID:	102235

it was not until I turned on the light next to monitor (directly to left of it) that I got this reading. I am confirming with clamp meter at positive battery output to shunt. Something is not right.

Click image for larger version  Name:	E4F9E6C6-1D9B-43FF-AD4B-53AF789187C1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	135.0 KB ID:	102236

Click image for larger version  Name:	1FF14E0F-CD6A-435C-AF69-CF6C91D5A903.jpg Views:	4 Size:	146.3 KB ID:	102233
                    Vivian
                    2018 Reflection 303rls
                    Demco Recon

Comment

Beachcamper -- if it's not clear, by turning off the converter the only source of 12vDC is the battery bank. By putting a load on the bank (turn on the furnace) there should be a corresponding load displayed in the VictronConnect app.

Once it's established that the BMV is indeed working as it is supposed to, turn the converter back on. You'll likely see the converter go into BULK mode and for a short time a positive current flowing back into the battery bank. (Furnace can be off at this point, if that's not obvious.)

Let me try one more explanation--with the converter on the furnace can be fully operational and the BMV's shunt will have no idea there is 12vDC being consumed in the trailer.

The diagram below is WAY oversimplified to convey in a picture what I'm trying to convey in words. By turning off the converter the only way the furnace can get 12vDC is from the battery thus it will go through the BMV's shunt. The converter's power does NOT go through the shunt when powering devices in the trailer. The only time the BMV measures power from the converter is when the battery is charging.

Name:	Oversimplified.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	102238

Comment

So I turned all lights on as before and shut off converter. All the lights went out and the current on display never changed from .11 amps
                        Vivian
                        2018 Reflection 303rls
                        Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post
                          So I turned all lights on as before and shut off converter. All the lights went out and the current on display never changed from .11 amps
                          What? No lights with the converter off and battery disconnect is confirmed on?

Comment

I don’t know what I would do without you Howard. Yes, I had disconnected the battery to install the propane alarm this morning forgot to put the key back in. It’s working now however, display was not working last night as mentioned in first post after I disconnected the negative cable. So turning off the converter and turning it back on reset the display somehow.

Anyway thanks again and happy new year to everyone, I guess I won’t be going into the new year with one more item to repair

Click image for larger version  Name:	598EE71B-E75E-488E-AE23-1EDCE99A4B88.jpg Views:	0 Size:	25.5 KB ID:	102242
                            Vivian
                            2018 Reflection 303rls
                            Demco Recon

Comment

Beachcamper -- glad I can help. Happy New Year, Vivian!

Comment

Working...
                              X