Kingpin connection box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Brian
    You were right...no wire nuts in that box. Just WAGO connectors and what looked to me like waterproof-ish scotchlocks.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Scott, I think there was just about every type of wiring connector in mine. Wire nuts, large scotch locks, WAGO, ...

For the ground wire, when you mount the repeater / antenna if it's a drilled connection use that for the ground if it's in any part of the metal frame, otherwise use the break away on the inside with a nut for the ground.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
        Scott, I think there was just about every type of wiring connector in mine. Wire nuts, large scotch locks, WAGO, ...

For the ground wire, when you mount the repeater / antenna if it's a drilled connection use that for the ground if it's in any part of the metal frame, otherwise use the break away on the inside with a nut for the ground.
        That's a good thought Joseph.

As to the WAGO snap lock connectors, I was a fan of those connectors at work. We used only 16awg and 14awg wire in them. They were only used on limits switches, photo sensors etc. in cabinets. They worked great and had a nice positive 'snap' when closing. However, in the king pin box I noticed larger wire than 14awg in some connectors. These connector popped open easily when handled and didn't offer a reassuring click or snap when closed. Just food for thought. Ties into that post from Rob with that mictuning box.
        Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 01-05-2023, 07:59 AM. Reason: get rid of the # symbols
        Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post

I'm installing a signal repeater for my new Tireminder TPMS. It is recommended to be at the kingpin, so I need to tap off 12v. I figure that box to be the most likely candidate. Hope it's not mounted in such a way that requires me to contort too much...and it will be -10* Canadian.....about +12* American....lol
          Just a thought, before you go to the trouble to tap into the wiring at the pinbox have you considered just trying the repeater in the front storage by the battery and see if it works? My TST repeater works fine there, and took about 30 min to install including putting a switch in the +12vdc line.

2020 Reflection 273MK
          2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post

Just a thought, before you go to the trouble to tap into the wiring at the pinbox have you considered just trying the repeater in the front storage by the battery and see if it works? My TST repeater works fine there, and took about 30 min to install including putting a switch in the +12vdc line.
            X2 on Lonestar ‘s advice. When I ran a TireMinder system, I put the repeater in the front storage, up high over the door . . . pretty close to the “at the pinbox” recommendation and this worked fine.

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Lonestar
              Cate&Rob
              My first thought was just put it where the Tire-linc repeater is. But Tireminder says for it to be outside. So I called and asked about interior mounting. They recommended against it, saying mount it on the pin box.
              Seeing as you guys had it work fine in the front storage...that's where I'll try it out.
              Thks

Comment

Hi Scott,

When TireMinder says not to install the repeater/booster “inside” . . . I expect they are thinking of a metal body . . . not 1/4” of fibreglass such as the underside of the 5th Wheel overhang.

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                  Lonestar
                  Cate&Rob
                  My first thought was just put it where the Tire-linc repeater is. But Tireminder says for it to be outside. So I called and asked about interior mounting. They recommended against it, saying mount it on the pin box.
                  Seeing as you guys had it work fine in the front storage...that's where I'll try it out.
                  Thks
                  Tireminder and TST systems may well have different requirements, but it sure wouldn't hurt to give it a try before going to a fair amount of work. My TPMS actually worked pretty good without the repeater, but on occasion, for some unknown reason the signal would drop out, so I just use it routinely now. Let us know how it works.
                  2020 Reflection 273MK
                  2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post

Tireminder and TST systems may well have different requirements,.
                    They might...but...I would think the repeater tech and strength would be darn near identical.

Comment

Working...
                    X