No announcement yet.

Short circuit or surge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I remember correctly, the grounds are twisted together toward the rear of the box, one of the tails trimmed, then they are ferrule crimped using something like https://www.amazon.com/Easy-Twist-Co...s%2C128&sr=8-5
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

I'm in a predicament and would appreciate your help. Long story short I reached out to AM Solar and received instructions to bypass the SPS however I couldn't get it to work so I removed the SPS as I didn't want to chance more power issues. Now my Inverter isn't connected and the only way to charge the batteries is via solar. Well this week in Texas its really cold with 99% cloud cover and the sun isn't going to make appearance until Thursday. As of today my batteries are currently at 49% and I'm not sure I have enough juice to make it to Thursday when the sun will make an appearance. Good thing is that they are lithium so I can run them down to 0% but would like to avoid that.

Trying to see what my options are to get the Inverter/Charger powered or directly charge the batteries (1) I have jumper cables for my Honda generator. (2) I also have a 6/2 cable that I can put a plug on and connect it to the pedestal. Any thoughts are much appreciated especially for wiring it to the pedestal.
      2020 Reflection 31MB
      2017 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7

2019 Ford F-250 STX Gas(Retired due to inability to slow down on steep downhill grades)

Comment

dgerfan

Do you still have the factory converter/charger? Is it still close to being in the "loop"? If so you could just use it to charge the batteries, it will not reach 100% but would be better than "hot wiring" the system. You could also put the stock charger near the batteries and move some wires to get it going.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Country Campers Unfortunately I sold the converter/charger back in 2020.
          2020 Reflection 31MB

2019 Ford F-250 STX Gas(Retired due to inability to slow down on steep downhill grades)

Comment

Originally posted by dgerfan View Post
            I'm in a predicament and would appreciate your help. Long story short I reached out to AM Solar and received instructions to bypass the SPS however I couldn't get it to work so I removed the SPS as I didn't want to chance more power issues. Now my Inverter isn't connected and the only way to charge the batteries is via solar. Well this week in Texas its really cold with 99% cloud cover and the sun isn't going to make appearance until Thursday. As of today my batteries are currently at 49% and I'm not sure I have enough juice to make it to Thursday when the sun will make an appearance. Good thing is that they are lithium so I can run them down to 0% but would like to avoid that.

Trying to see what my options are to get the Inverter/Charger powered or directly charge the batteries (1) I have jumper cables for my Honda generator. (2) I also have a 6/2 cable that I can put a plug on and connect it to the pedestal. Any thoughts are much appreciated especially for wiring it to the pedestal.
            I am a bit puzzled here. You took the SPS out, so you should have a shore power cable coming in, and somewhere a shore power cable going to your distribution panel that came from the SPS. All you need to do is splice them together matching wire colors - or am I missing something? Do you have a Multiplus in the system?
            A few pictures or diagram of what you have would help.

I found another diagram the seems to indicate you can do the splicing and have things work.. Then again I am probably not understand what the SPS actually did or does

https://allaboutrvsinfo.com/wp-conte...amp-RV-SPS.pdf

Brainstorming here.
            Keith
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Yoda The SPS's purpose was to enable a single leg Inverter the ability to power both sides of the 50A panel. When I removed the SPS the Inverter/Charger was completely removed from the equation as now shore power was connected directly to the distribution panel. Could I connect the Inverter-In to the old Converter breaker on the distribution panel? I realize I would probably have to lower the Multiplus charging output to at or below the breaker Amp rating. Also I would change the Inverter setting to charge only which would prevent the Inverter-Out from being energized.
              2020 Reflection 31MB

Comment

Just hook up the truck and charge it?
                2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                  Just hook up the truck and charge it?
                  Totally forgot about that one but if it was an emergency I guess it would work. I don't have a dc-dc charger installed so isn't it something like 5A/hr coming from the truck?
                  2020 Reflection 31MB

Comment

Yoda The SPS's purpose was to enable a single leg Inverter the ability to power both sides of the 50A panel. When I removed the SPS the Inverter/Charger was completely removed from the equation as now shore power was connected directly to the distribution panel. Could I connect the Inverter-In to the old Converter breaker on the distribution panel? I realize I would probably have to lower the Multiplus charging output to at or below the breaker Amp rating. Also I would change the Inverter setting to charge only which would prevent the Inverter-Out from being energized.
                    It sounds like you're at a campground with pedestal power. Is there an empty 15A or 20A standard outlet on the pedestal? If so, consider...

1) Go to a big box store and buy a long, 12 gauge heavy duty extension cord.
                    2) Turn off the 15A or 20A pedestal's circuit breaker on the outlet that will be used.
                    3) Turn off the Multiplus and turn off 12v input power to it, too.
                    4) Cut off the female end of the new extension cord. Wire the cord into the 120vAC input of the Multiplus.
                    Note: I'm assuming you can get the cord to the Multiplus by snaking it up through the water hose access hole like I have on my 315RLTS.
                    5) Make sure the output 120vAC wires on the Multiplus are disconnected.
                    6) Apply 12vDC power back to the Multiplus.
                    7) Put the Multiplus in "Charger Only" mode (if you have a GX device the mode must be selected there, not just using the Multiplus' power button).
                    8) Make sure and set the Current Input Limit to match the outlet on the pedestal (15 or 20A).
                    9) Plug in the male end of the new extension cord and turn on the pedestal breaker.

Your battery bank will stay charged.

Howard

P.S. I made this list above "on the fly"--I may have missed something so review carefully. If something doesn't make sense please ask for clarification!
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Yoda Could I connect the Inverter-In to the old Converter breaker on the distribution panel? I realize I would probably have to lower the Multiplus charging output to at or below the breaker Amp rating. Also I would change the Inverter setting to charge only which would prevent the Inverter-Out from being energized.
                      I don't see why not if you adjust the settings, but I am not an expert on this. on edit As Howard said set to "charger only" and don't even try to run the inverter this way.
                      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Why not just go to the local store and pick up a 15amp battery charger. No it will not take the batteries to 100%, but you could leave it plugged in and let it charge the batteries. No complicated wiring and easy to reverse when the defective component is replaced.
                        Joseph
                        Tow
                        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                          Why not just go to the local store and pick up a 15amp battery charger. No it will not take the batteries to 100%, but you could leave it plugged in and let it charge the batteries. No complicated wiring and easy to reverse when the defective component is replaced.
                          You make a good point. I was attempting to use something that I had on-hand as the roads in East Texas are a mess.
                          2020 Reflection 31MB

Comment

howson Thanks for the instructions. I was able to connect the extension cord up and get the batteries to 100%. Now I need to work on a more permanent solution as I don't see every installing another SPS and buying the new Multiplus isn't in the cards at the moment.

Do you have any thoughts on the method depicted in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbKBoIvXNPA
                            2020 Reflection 31MB

Comment

dgerfan -- I didn't watch the video but suspect it's a similar solution to what I did as documented here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...-manual-switch

However...the answer may be even easier (depending on your setup). On my 315RLTS I rearranged the circuit breakers. The only time I need to use the switch to "power the whole camper" is when I want to run the living room air conditioner with the inverter. That's a (very) rare occurrence.

Below is a reference showing the OEM breaker configuration and how I rearranged them. Note that no supplies were needed -- all that I did was move the "critical" loads (those that I want to run off the inverter) on L1 and the non-critical loads on L2. (Except for the air conditioner, nothing on L2 will ever run off the inverter.)

Click image for larger version  Name:	OEM to Now Comparison.jpg Views:	7 Size:	100.3 KB ID:	104647

Howard
                              Last edited by howson; 02-01-2023, 07:54 AM.
                              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

With all the tweaks and mods you have done to your trailer Howard, I'm surprised you have the time to camp....
                                2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                                Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Working...
                                X