Fuse on + battery post???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuse on + battery post???

Anyone add a fuse to their battery post or close to it? My batteries are tongue mounted and, though I wrap the cables in split loom where fed to the bus bar, seems like its a disaster waiting to happen.
    Does my having 2 Battleborn LiFePO4 100A 12V batteries help prevent this with the BMS?

Thanks
    Erik
    Erik & Tea
    2021 Reflection 297RSTS
    2005 Ford Excursion 6L diesel
    ProPride hitch

Popga -- where is the fuse that protects your system now? (I can't remember your setup.)

TucsonJim -- did you do anything special with the fusing with your tongue mounted batteries?
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Depending on the BMS, I believe it limits discharge amps, but I think most people adding lifep04 batteries move them inside to deter theft so it's easier to mount a fuse. You just need to find a waterproof housing for it I guess.
      2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
      Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

howson
        TucsonJim
        Scott'n'Wendy

I can't find a fuse! there may be a small amp resetting breaker on the frame. My set up should be nearly the same as yours is/was, Howard. BTW, Did you move all the wires that were OEM on the frame under the pass thru into your pass thru?

Scott, I mounted a metal Torklift locking box to the tongue. It is probably more secure than the pass thru! Nice box. I also got the newer Battleborns with built in heaters.

Erik
        Erik & Tea
        2021 Reflection 297RSTS
        ProPride hitch

Comment

TucsonJim

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	216
Size:	913.0 KB
ID:	102777 ​Jim, Did you use any protection on the wires, Like split loom or conduit? Any fuse protection? When I add a 3rd battery my system will be very similar.

Erik

Name:	image.png
Views:	256
Size:	913.0 KB
ID:	102778
          Erik & Tea
          2021 Reflection 297RSTS
          ProPride hitch

Comment

Popga - The battery cable hooks to a buss bar underneath the floor. From there, it splits to two outputs. One goes through a fuse to the inverter, and the other goes through a circuit breaker (which came with the RV) to the 12V feeds. There is also a fused input from the solar MPPT controller to that same buss bar. So anything going into or out of that buss bar is protected.

In the photo below, you can see the buss bar in question. Starting from the bottom:

2/0 wire at the bottom is from the battery to the buss bar.
            Next up is the coiled wire that is going from the buss bar to the circuit breaker which feeds 12V to the coach.
            Going up again is a fused input from the MPPT controller. Without crawling underneath again, I can't remember what the wire is with the yellow tag. It might be to for shunt power.
            And at the top is 2/0 wire to the fuse and inverter.

Name:	Shunt Power.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	102783

Jim
            Last edited by TucsonJim; 01-09-2023, 12:01 AM.
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

TucsonJim

Thank you Jim, That helps. The line going to the inverter is also going to the DC charger, ya? And no fuse between the bus bar and the battery?

Erik
              Erik & Tea
              2021 Reflection 297RSTS
              ProPride hitch

Comment

Originally posted by Popga View Post
                TucsonJim

Thank you Jim, That helps. The line going to the inverter is also going to the DC charger, ya? And no fuse between the bus bar and the battery?

Erik
                No, I don't have a DC charger other than my converter and that feeds back to buss bar number 2. There is no fuse/breaker between the buss bar/batteries.

Jim
                Jim and Ginnie
                2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

TucsonJim

Thanks....

Erik
                  Erik & Tea
                  2021 Reflection 297RSTS