Inverter-Battery Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inverter-Battery Question

I am doing the due diligence to install an inverter and upgraded batteries (the addition to solar will be later). My arthritis means I must go to a dealer/installer. I just want to ensure I'm smart enough (if that is ever possible) to have all my questions answered (mostly) and ducks in a row. I'm not a big-time boondocker and will never really be without shore power for more than 3 days. The only power needs are the led lights, my CPAP and some occasional tv watching. A list of questions would be great, website that provides knowledge not sales or a previously answered article here. I know our GD campers come "ready for hook-up" for some of this stuff, but I also know this group has the "oh I wished I'd have known this" experience.

I have a 2020 32BHS Transcend. Thanks
    2016 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LTZ LB, 2020 Transcend 32BHS, Gainesville FL

Originally posted by subsurfcpo View Post
    I am doing the due diligence to install an inverter and upgraded batteries (the addition to solar will be later). My arthritis means I must go to a dealer/installer. I just want to ensure I'm smart enough (if that is ever possible) to have all my questions answered (mostly) and ducks in a row. I'm not a big-time boondocker and will never really be without shore power for more than 3 days. The only power needs are the led lights, my CPAP and some occasional tv watching. A list of questions would be great, website that provides knowledge not sales or a previously answered article here. I know our GD campers come "ready for hook-up" for some of this stuff, but I also know this group has the "oh I wished I'd have known this" experience.

In exchange for a few bucks, Will lays out almost all you need to know to configure your system appropriately and know the right questions to ask of any prospective installer. It's available on Amazon and numerous other locations.

He has a YouTube and DIY Solar Power website, too, that has all the information in the book it's just not as concise. I read, and re-read, numerous times when I was at where you are. (I installed my own system.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	book.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	103115

Only tidbit I'll add is having "too much battery power" is almost a contradiction in and of itself. If you think of battery capacity as a "gas tank", having extra "fuel" onboard to handle a worse-case scenario is, IMHO, worth it. Of course, there's always budget and space constraints to consider.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by subsurfcpo View Post

If you would fill out your signature line and say where you from, I am sure folks can recommend installers. If I may add my recommendation. As you upgrading batterys you might need a new compatible converter and adding you want an inverter consider a Victron multiplus unit as it has everything you need in one spot, is fully programmable and includes the transfer switch. By the time you add in all the components, the extra wiring, etc it can be cheaper in the long run, especially install time. Just something for you to consider in your research.

Safe Travels

Keith

On edit - I have a thread on powering your CPAP from your batterys if you are interested - no inverter needed for that. Use the search feature.
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

subsurfcpo

I would suggest you understand your power demands well before deciding on battery capacity. 3 days without power is actually kind of a long time without a charging source - either generator or solar (or truck through a DC-DC charger if you're on the move). It's always a trade-off between battery capacity and charging source. As howson notes - other than $$$ and space, it's hard to have too much battery capacity.

One big power hog to account for is the furnace. Running a furnace overnight in colder temps (say in the 40's) can/will deplete a 100Ah lead acid battery (only 50Ah useable) in one night and it will need to charged somehow.

The other thing I would suggest is that you consider what you want to run off the inverter as that will affect how it is wired and it's size (and resulting battery bank capacity). For example, a coffee maker will most likely require a 2000 Watt inverter.

One thing to consider (given your use case) is to use a portable power station (e.g. EcoFlow Delta or Bluetti or other) - instead of a hard-wired inverter. Often now (incorrectly) referred to as "solar generators", these units have come a long way in the last couple of years. Considering your moderate AC power needs and limited off-grid time, one of these might fit the bill. All you need to do is plug in your RV shore power cord to the unit (with appropriate adaptor) and turn it on - no install. FWIW - this is the route that I went since I, too, am rarely without shore power. Works great for 1 or 2 overnights. I can watch TV, run coffee maker, microwave, hood fan, toaster, etc. (but not all at the same time!). Just remember to turn off your convertor while your using this so you're not trying to charge your batteries from another battery.

Good luck with your system!
        Ken & Sandra
        2021 303RLS | 2020 F350 Lariat 6.7L 4x4 SB SRW

Comment

Now those are all EXCELLENT suggestions. Spend a couple bucks - learn stuff - I like it. I’m located between Gainesville and Ocala FL. And I have considered the generator (dual fuel and quiet). So thanks for all the comments.

Comment

So, it appears my current best option (after the homework you have given me) may be to increase my battery capacity. My biggest "hog" is the A/C and while I do live in FLA I don't camp here in the summer unless I am connected to shore power. My most important load is the CPAP (thanks Yoda for the link) and I can resolve that quickly and easily. Now we are down to time and money. Time - I've got...money not so much. The portable power stations are pricy while a quiet dual fuel inverter loaded and mounted in the back of the truck is not. Plus, if I only run it during the day (non-quiet hours) I should irritate too many people when I recharge the aforementioned batteries.

Here's what I'm thinking:
            • Modifications and upgrades that require little or no changes to current systems (electrical, structural, etc.)
            • Increase (and upgrade) the current battery capacity
            • Alternate power source to plug in shore power directly (for daily use and battery charge)
            • Install power point for CPAP
            • Understand power needs, further reduce footprint (more LPG than electrical) - in the submarine world we referred to this as reduced electrical - I refer to it as the things I will not give up anymore like hot showers and a very good bed
            • Plan ahead - as I mentioned above we do not camp in the Sunshine State in summer without AC. Our "go-to" campground is Patrick SFB at Cocoa Beach - $25/night full hook-up
            Thanks guys

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
              In exchange for a few bucks, Will lays out almost all you need to know to configure your system appropriately and know the right questions to ask of any prospective installer. It's available on Amazon and numerous other locations.
              Thanks for the reference! FYI, if you have kindle unlimited, the book is free for kindle. Just read it last night. Definitely have a better understanding of the various aspects involved.

Comment

Working...
              X