Renogy DC-DC 20 A charger may generate "stray" voltage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renogy DC-DC 20 A charger may generate "stray" voltage

I found a curious situation, I just want to let others know about it. I had been pulling the camper and the DC-DC charger had been on. After I stopped, disconnected the truck, and turned off the main switch that disconnects the batteries from everything, I went to check some wiring with my multi-meter and found there was some voltage in the system. I found the source was the Renogy DC-DC charger. The voltage decreased with time. I assume there must be a capacitor or something like that in the charger that slowly discharges over time. This was unexpected, so I'm just sharing this observation.
    Dave
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
    B&W Patriot 18k slider

I wonder if you are experiencing something like ghost voltages. See the write up here https://www.fluke.com/en-us/learn/bl...al-multimeters There are a lot of lines in close proximity in and we all know the RV industry uses the best wiring with insulation out there.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Dave27 View Post
      I found a curious situation, I just want to let others know about it. I had been pulling the camper and the DC-DC charger had been on. After I stopped, disconnected the truck, and turned off the main switch that disconnects the batteries from everything, I went to check some wiring with my multi-meter and found there was some voltage in the system. I found the source was the Renogy DC-DC charger. The voltage decreased with time. I assume there must be a capacitor or something like that in the charger that slowly discharges over time. This was unexpected, so I'm just sharing this observation.
      Dave
      Dave,

How is your D+ wired in? Also the Renogy has a relay built in that is activated from the D+ wire where this relay may be sticking.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

Dave,

How is your D+ wired in? Also the Renogy has a relay built in that is activated from the D+ wire where this relay may be sticking.

Jim
        The D+ is tied into the tail lights at the junction box between the wires from the 7 pin plug and the camper wires. I turn it on by using the parking lights.
        2016 Reflection 27RL
        2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
        B&W Patriot 18k slider

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
          I wonder if you are experiencing something like ghost voltages. See the write up here https://www.fluke.com/en-us/learn/bl...al-multimeters There are a lot of lines in close proximity in and we all know the RV industry uses the best wiring with insulation out there.
          that is an interesting article. I don't think it is the situation here. There were no other energized circuits. The only live wire was from the batteries to the shut off switch, and it didn't have a circuit to complete.
          2016 Reflection 27RL
          2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
          B&W Patriot 18k slider

Comment

Was the voltage on the input or the output side?

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
              Was the voltage on the input or the output side?

Brian
              It was on both sides.
              2016 Reflection 27RL
              2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
              B&W Patriot 18k slider

Comment

It was on both sides.
                That is interesting, I will check mine to see if I have any voltage on the input side when the truck is not attached.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

That is interesting, I will check mine to see if I have any voltage on the input side when the truck is not attached.

Brian
                  Note I observed this immediately after using the charger. I doubt you will see anything if it hasn't been charging. I could also see the voltage was dropping with time.
                  2016 Reflection 27RL
                  2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
                  B&W Patriot 18k slider

Comment

Note I observed this immediately after using the charger. I doubt you will see anything if it hasn't been charging. I could also see the voltage was dropping with time.
                    Dave - voltage drop over time - please give us a sense for how long this is. Minutes? Seconds? Thanks.
                    Ottertail, Minnesota
                    2022 Imagine 2500RL VIN 573TE3029N6637046
                    2022 Ford F-150 Lariat, SuperCrew, long box, max tow

Comment

Dave have you called Renogy. They may have an answer or can help. They were good helping me out with my install questions a while back. It sounds like a capacitor discharging over time) - probably normal. I wonder if Will Prowes ever tore his down - he liked them in his review

Just drinking coffee before shoveling more snowand it's cold out there - not even 20F yet.

Keith
                      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexPeterson View Post

Dave - voltage drop over time - please give us a sense for how long this is. Minutes? Seconds? Thanks.
                        Minutes. I could see drops of tenths of volts after a few minutes. One of the things that confused when I first noticed this voltage is it was less than the battery voltage.
                        2016 Reflection 27RL
                        2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
                        B&W Patriot 18k slider

Comment

Dave27 Dave where is the output side of the Renogy connected? Also has your battery switch been re-wired to provide a complete disconnect? I'm wondering if (depending how this is wired) if other components in the rig are back feeding until memory functions are depleted. Items such as CO, radio, and so on.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                            Dave27 Dave where is the output side of the Renogy connected? Also has your battery switch been re-wired to provide a complete disconnect? I'm wondering if (depending how this is wired) if other components in the rig are back feeding until memory functions are depleted. Items such as CO, radio, and so on.

Jim
                            It goes to the positive buss bar, along with the DC output from the converter, solar controller, inverter, the batteries (after the shut off switch), and the wire to the camper. When I disconnected the DC-DC charger there was no more voltage in the system.
                            Dave
                            2016 Reflection 27RL
                            2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
                            B&W Patriot 18k slider

Comment

It goes to the positive buss bar, along with the DC output from the converter, solar controller, inverter, the batteries (after the shut off switch), and the wire to the camper. When I disconnected the DC-DC charger there was no more voltage in the system.
                              Dave
                              With the unit disconnected, it must incorporate a CAP. Maybe used to condition voltage.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X