Backup lights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backup lights?

Hi friends. I’m getting tired of navigating into back-in spaces after dark, and am tempted to add a couple LED lights on the rear of our RV. Before I go digging, does anyone know if GD was thoughtful enough to route a wire back there to feed these? Switched power for reverse lighting is available via the center pin of the 7-way plug, but I’m not sure if GD makes it easy on the Imagine line…

Anyone do this?
    Chad, Heather, a kid or two, and Scout the Doodle dog

2021 Imagine 2500RL
    2018 Crew Max Tundra Platinum

I can’t leave things stock…

Originally posted by Chad D. View Post
    Hi friends. I’m getting tired of navigating into back-in spaces after dark, and am tempted to add a couple LED lights on the rear of our RV. Before I go digging, does anyone know if GD was thoughtful enough to route a wire back there to feed these? Switched power for reverse lighting is available via the center pin of the 7-way plug, but I’m not sure if GD makes it easy on the Imagine line…

Anyone do this?
    GD is installing back up lights on the newer Solitdues/Momentums, they have not done this on any other models. I have not seen the back up wire used on any of the ones that I have worked on. You would have to run your own wire to the back to install lights that would work in reverse. Yoda Keith did an install with back up lights, I will see if I can find his thread.

Please fill out your signature with year and model of RV so others can help you more efficiently.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Here is his install , LED backup and side lights install - Grand Design Owners Forums (gdrvowners.com)

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I have a project in the works but not finished getting my parts.

Since I have the 4 way plug on the back, I plan to tap into the marker light circuit, then using a momentary on switch, a relay, and a diode I will build a self latching relay. With truck marker lights on, press the button and the backup lights power up and stay on regardless of selector in the truck. Nice thing is when the marker lights on the truck turn off, the system will reset.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

Please fill out your signature with year and model of RV so others can help you more efficiently.

Brian

Can’t figure out how! Lol. It’s a 2021 Imagine 2500RL though.

I’ve looked in my profile settings and can’t find how to add a signature. I use an iPhone 99% of the time, if that makes a difference.

2021 Imagine 2500RL

Comment

I’ve looked in my profile settings and can’t find how to add a signature.
            I've added it for you, Chad.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Anyone do this?
              Brian shared the link and they still work perfectly. You will see I have it set up for auto mode, or manual mode, or off. manual mode is handy for once you get parked and need lighting around the trailer to work. You will find the backup wire (yellow) in your junction box. It will be taped or have a wire nut on it.

Keith
              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Ok! Thanks for sharing that link to Yoda’s thread. I think I have it figured out how to run lights that are switched with my truck’s reverse lights as default, as well as a remote switch that will pull power from the RV batteries.

Here’s my wiring plan using a 5-pin relay:

Pin 30 to lights.
                Pin 87A to the reverse light wire that comes from the center of the 7-way plug.
                Pin 87 and Pin 86 to switch that controls fused RV battery power.
                Pin 85 to chassis ground.

Since 87A is N/C to 30 this will leave the lights to get power from the truck reverse any time you shift to reverse. When I flip the switch in the trailer, it will put power to the relay coil. What happens now is the relays opens the circuit between 87A (truck reverse) and 30 (to lights, and closes 87 (trailer power) to 30 (lights).

One relay, one basic switch. Switch off=lights on when in reverse. Switch on=lights on now!

Ive got an extra pair of really nice super wide angle light pods that I can mount to the top of my rear bumper.

2021 Imagine 2500RL

Comment

I took the simple route on my 2600RB and my current 337RLS. I ran a 12 ga wire from the junction box, down the door side frame using 1/4" wire loom and fastening the loom to the trailer by removing the corplast screws and securing a plastic wire loop. Working around the axles get a little tight due to access but if I can fit in there almost anyone can. I then connected the wire to both lights under the bumper and grounded them with a wire to a screw already in place, using a tooth washer and some dielectric grease for corrosion.
                  2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Working...
                  X