No announcement yet.

check trailer wiring warning in TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the problem was in the wire nut. There were five ground wires going into one nut!! When I began to loosen it up, one of the wires almost fell out. It was clearly not "securely" in with the mess of other wire strands. I got a four circuit terminal block to properly combine the wires. I took it for a test run, and everything seems good. It will be a while before we go on a longer drive, that will be the true test. But I am pretty confident that that was the problem.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions.
    Dave
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
    B&W Patriot 18k slider

Comment

Dave27
      Thanks for the follow-up. You have found the problem to be something that is very common. Hopefully, your closure on this will lead others directly to this root cause.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Dave27 View Post
        I think the problem was in the wire nut. There were five ground wires going into one nut!! When I began to loosen it up, one of the wires almost fell out. It was clearly not "securely" in with the mess of other wire strands. I got a four circuit terminal block to properly combine the wires. I took it for a test run, and everything seems good. It will be a while before we go on a longer drive, that will be the true test. But I am pretty confident that that was the problem.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions.
        Dave
        It sounds exactly like what I found on my travel trailer.

Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

A little bit of a late reply to this issue. A friend with a 27 unit had the same problem with the message in his Ford 350. He found two bare brake wires where the wires from the axles go under the frame and above coroplast. The wires rubbed bare against the frame. He taped up the wires and changed his brake safety disconnect and the problem went away.
          Last edited by Retiredoutwest; 03-19-2020, 11:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave27 View Post
            Thank you for the suggestions everyone. I cleaned the contacts with an electronic contact cleaner - no difference. There are no fault codes on the truck, the message only comes up when hooked to the trailer. I tried the bumper socket instead of the side one in the truck box, same problem. So I think the problem is on the trailer side. I filled the plug with dielectric grease, same problem. I checked the brake wires, everything I can see outside the wheels looks good.

It is very intermittent. When we started out yesterday morning, there were no chimes for hours. In the afternoon, it would chime once in a while, and sometimes repeatedly for a minute. It did it when it rains, and when it doesn't.
            Dave27,

Did you locate the issue with the trailer error messages?

JIm

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

Dave27,

Did you locate the issue with the trailer error messages?

JIm
              yes, see post #16, it was the ground in wire nut. Thanks for following up.
              Dave
              2016 Reflection 27RL
              2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
              B&W Patriot 18k slider

Comment

Working...
              X