Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) DIY battery heater - anyone make one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    Monitoring these batteries can be a challenge since the cells in most batteries are suspended from the case. The Victron temp probe connects to the positive battery post so an accurate temperature measurement would need time. Same for most all batteries that incorporate a single probe to one cell. Best to not rely on the BMS for temperature cutoff but to avoid the temperature limit all together.

For the travel interest that Keith is after, the pads operated for the duration of the trip could work along with other devices. When stopped, a heated cabin may work. Our Imagines passthrough gains plenty of conduction heat from the cabin.

Jim
    Jim
    Now you went and did it you got me to thinking.

As my front t bay is open to the elements whatever the outside temp is the batterys will be. If I take the trailer I will only run heat at night for sleeping, otherwise off - trailer is winterized for going down, and re-winterized before coming back. Now you have me thinking for cold weather travel I should put the lithium batterys in the pass through where there is heat at night, probably in an insulated box so they hold temp better when not traveling - probably easy to do. The down side is I loose pass through storage. now there is some space behind the false wall. I guess come spring or whenever I am ready to change over I need to look at the possibility. If behind the false wall it will be a pain to remove and install during winter storage - just more to think about.

I would like to pin down the heating and control components I will need. I have my temperature sensor is tied into the Multiplus, so I have available spots on the GX to tie in another one to control the heaters, or do stand alone. Just need to read up on the GX more as I skimmed over that section as I did not need it for my original install.

Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Keith,

The battery in our Imagine is in a marine battery box and strapped to the floor right against the wall from the cabin. Somewhere on the forum I posted the battery temps while outside temps were dipping to freezing. The battery with cabin heat on was not even close to the cold outside temps. If I remember correctly it was around 60F.

Some here have sacrificed storage from under the bed and installed batteries there. This location would be even warmer. If you were not camping while traveling, there is another option. To keep your batteries in the cab of the TV in battery boxes and install a break away brake kit to operate the emergency brakes while traveling. I assume you would be camping while traveling so this most likely would not be an option.

Mounting in a semi-warm location while heating the cabin and controlling battery heat while travel through your Victron unit would be ideal. Why burn battery power with them mounted outside in the elements. Ok for travel but not while camping.

Jim
      Last edited by Guest; 01-23-2023, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Keith,

The battery in our Imagine is in a marine battery box and strapped to the floor right against the wall from the cabin. Somewhere on the forum I posted the battery temps while outside temps were dipping to freezing. The battery with cabin heat on was not even close to the cold outside temps. If I remember correctly it was around 60F.

Some here have sacrificed storage from under the bed and installed batteries there. This location would be even warmer. If you were not camping while traveling, there is another option. To keep your batteries in the cab of the TV in battery boxes and install a break away brake kit to operate the emergency brakes while traveling. I assume you would be camping while traveling so this most likely would not be an option.

Mounting in a semi-warm location while heating the cabin and controlling heat while travel through your Victron unit would be ideal. Why burn battery power with them mounted outside in the elements.

Jim
        For the two day trip with the trailer we do WalMart or rest area/truck stop as most campgrounds are closed that time of year. I have a full disconnect switch on the batterys so they wont see any charge discharge - unless we need power and during the day with the DC-DC I can easily power battery heaters and charge batterys when they get up to temp. I'm thinking the easiest way is leave where they are (access to remove for storage) and come up with a simple manual heating system and insulated battery box. Or wait and see if the heating systems improve to where they don't stay on and kill things - maybe programmable? Maybe I will send out a few emails to the battery manufacturers to see if that can be or is upcoming.

I'm am trying to keep this simple like the guy in the video I posted above.

Keith
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Keith,

I think a heating pad, switch and controlled by your Victron unit would work perfect. It looks like acoleman43 already has this worked out.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
            My batteries are in black battery boxes. I could easily see those exceeding the 135°F upper temp when in direct sunlight in Arizona. I may need to figure out a way to shade those boxes. Dangit.

Jim

Paint'em white. You'll be good.

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
            Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Keith, you could close up the hole in the front compartment floor, then sheet foam the floor and side walls. This will provide an insulated area for the batteries, then you could use area heating to maintain the space.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                Keith, you could close up the hole in the front compartment floor, then sheet foam the floor and side walls. This will provide an insulated area for the batteries, then you could use area heating to maintain the space.
                That's a good thought. I keep the ventilation in there open as I carry Colman fuel and charcoal lighter fluid (far corner opposite the multiplus). Also even though I have the flooded batterys properly vented (top and bottom of case) I still want extra ventilation. I don't want to carry flammables in the pass through, even in the ventilated saddle boxes. I guess I could build a holding box for the back of the truck though.

Once I decided on the batterys I will probably build or have someone build a secure case I can insulate (theft protection) and put some sort of heating pad in the bottom. That way I don't loose storage on top for fishing gear, etc

Keith

Comment

Yoda Keith,

Somewhat related (to reduce flammables) but the charcoal lighter caught my attention. This weber charcoal chimney is very fast at lighting charcoal. Two sheets of newspaper to light it, is all you need.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...v59533-20&th=1

Jim

Comment

Yoda Keith,

Somewhat related (to reduce flammables) but the charcoal lighter caught my attention. This weber charcoal chimney is very fast at lighting charcoal. Two sheets of newspaper to light it, is all you need.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...v59533-20&th=1

Jim
                    I have them for home use - just takes up too much space for the infrequent charcoal grill use - I carry one of the little bottles to save space. I have some spring cleaning to do though (remove stuff I don't use) so maybe I can find some space and pack something inside it during non use. I add this to my list.
                    Thanks

Comment

Ditch the lighter fluid and carry cooking oil (some of our field guys were in SA and that's all they had) you do loose that kerosene flavor in the burgers though.

As for the chimney lighter, soup cans work also, just not as much capacity. Cut both ends off and go to town. Just plan ahead as to what you will have with the BBQ.

You still use coleman fuel. Surprised you are not on disposable cylinders. Much easier to store (less likely to spill) and refillable https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1 you just don't get the full 1 lb.
                      Joseph
                      Tow
                      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                        Ditch the lighter fluid and carry cooking oil (some of our field guys were in SA and that's all they had) you do loose that kerosene flavor in the burgers though.

As for the chimney lighter, soup cans work also, just not as much capacity. Cut both ends off and go to town. Just plan ahead as to what you will have with the BBQ.

You still use coleman fuel. Surprised you are not on disposable cylinders. Much easier to store (less likely to spill) and refillable https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1 you just don't get the full 1 lb.
                        I normally use an LED flashlight with a lantern feature on the side. but I have an old mantel Colman lantern for lighting a larger area that I keep in the trailer front compartment. Don't use it much (never indoors), but its the old style you can turn way down, unlike the either on or off models out now. It can run on kerosene too in warm weather, but is a bear to start. I also have a very high output older large two burner Colman stove (brass fuel cylinder) - Works very well - especially for larger pots for crab boil, fish fry, etc.

My Dad had a WWII all brass model from his medical unit that had an adapter to put a pot on top or plate to cook on. I think he gave it to the local Scout troop as I don't renumber seeing it when I helped them move many years ago. Would have loved to have it. I remember him using it in my early camping experiences - way cool

Keith

Comment

Now there is something about the hiss of a Coleman lantern that cannot be beat. We use LED lights too but I really need to dig out one of my lanterns. Have a dual fuel that can burn the generator gas.

Todays LED lamps are also very convenient.

Jim​
                          Last edited by Guest; 01-24-2023, 02:46 PM.

Comment

I do remember the days of the coleman lantern. Always seemed to have a broken mantle and pumping forever to keep the gas pressure up.

Many meals came off one of those old green 2 burner stoves. Dad actually had to rebuild the gas supply setup as we literally wore out the internals.

Just seems that the fuel is so expensive. There are off brands now that were not available back in the day.
                            Joseph
                            Tow
                            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Yoda So, what did you decide? I want you to decide to use the Cerbo as a temp relay and let me know how it goes.....
                              Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Originally posted by acoleman43 View Post
                                Yoda So, what did you decide? I want you to decide to use the Cerbo as a temp relay and let me know how it goes.....
                                You mean you want me to read up on how to get the Cerbo to activate the heating pad and build something before you do?????????? Ill haft to think about that

But it might be fun to learn something new - I just don't want to smoke the Cerbo in the process. I am at the brainstorming stages, so have time to read up on if and how the Cerbo can be wired up and the control to do this.

Keith

Comment

Working...
                                X