No announcement yet.

Are circuit breakers directional?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Popga -- I'm in the "it doesn't matter" camp. Why? If it mattered, Blue Sea would emphasize that in the component's documentation. As many others probably did, I went to Blue Sea's website for the breaker and there was nothing mentioned, not even in the FAQ section.

What's interesting (to Jimmer 's point about the direction of current flow ) is that with the small breakers used by GD in our trailers there is a "right" way to wire the breaker. Gold post on the self-resetting breaker is battery and the silver post is for the load. That works for most scenarios with the battery supplying power to the RV, but...how does this make sense when the converter is the "battery" and the "battery" is the load? (In the battery-being-charged scenario.)

So again, I believe either way will work but that just an opinion from a random guy on the internet.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmer View Post

But, electrons and also the current (and therefore the power) comes from the negative terminal.
      You can debate electron or conventional flow if you wish..potato, potahto You will end up in the same place. 😉
      2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
      Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

howson
        Jimmer
        Yoda
        Scott'n'Wendy
        acoleman43
        Jkwilson
        TedS

Thank you for the spirited debate!
        I reached out to Blue Seas and this is their response:

Erik,
        Thank you for the question. The 285 is a Thermal breaker that will work the same if the current flow is reversed.
        Please ask if you have any additional questions.

Best Regards,
        | Tech Support Group| NAVICO GROUP | POWER SYSTEMS”

Time to crawl back inside and finish this project…
        DW asking why it has taken 2 months and is questioning my ability to complete the solar/inverter project within my life expectancy!

Skol!
        Erik

Erik & Tea
        2021 Reflection 297RSTS
        2005 Ford Excursion 6L diesel
        ProPride hitch

Comment

Fixed original copy/paste to make it readable
          Erik & Tea
          2021 Reflection 297RSTS
          ProPride hitch

Comment

Originally posted by Popga View Post
            UF Da…
            copy and pasted reply is hard to read cause it’s white…will try to remedy it
            Fixed it for ya...
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson
              Jimmer
              Yoda
              Scott'n'Wendy
              acoleman43
              Jkwilson
              TedS

Erik,
              Thank you for the question. The 285 is a Thermal breaker that will work the same if the current flow is reversed.

Best Regards,

DW asking why it has taken 2 months and is questioning my ability to complete the solar/inverter project within my life expectancy!

Skol!
              Erik

We have all learned that SWMBO (DW) is the real motivation for us to stay alive so they can torment us more? Also it is better to ask forgiveness........well sometimes.

If it helps you doing a great job. I admire your clean layout. It appears you have the skills and thanks for getting the answer from Blue Sea - I thought I was going to need to redo some wiring

As I always told my engineers - it is always better to ask questions - even dumb ones, than to cast the concrete and then ask. Also sod is laid "Green Side Up"! Don't ask about that one

Keith
              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

We have all learned that SWMBO (DW) is the real motivation for us to stay alive so they can torment us more? Also it is better to ask forgiveness........well sometimes.

If it helps you doing a great job. I admire your clean layout. It appears you have the skills and thanks for getting the answer from Blue Sea - I thought I was going to need to redo some wiring

As I always told my engineers - it is always better to ask questions - even dumb ones, than to cast the concrete and then ask. Also sod is laid "Green Side Up"! Don't ask about that one

Keith
                Thanks Keith! I owe the concepts to your install and following the leads of many folk here on the forum. I am an excellent thief of ideas...

Erik
                Erik & Tea
                2021 Reflection 297RSTS
                ProPride hitch

Comment

Skol!
                  Erik[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
                  Quality work takes time.

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                  Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Thanks Keith! I owe the concepts to your install and following the leads of many folk here on the forum. I am an excellent thief of ideas...

Erik
                    Nothing to steel. This is a place of sharing and helping folks spend money. Thanks for your kind thoughts
                    Keith
                    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

howson
                      Jimmer
                      Yoda
                      Scott'n'Wendy
                      acoleman43
                      Jkwilson
                      TedS

Erik,

Best Regards,

Skol!
                      Erik

Best answer, right from the horse's mouth.
                      Thanks, Erik
                      Ted
                      2021 Reflection 310RLS
                      2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

howson
                        Jimmer
                        Yoda
                        Scott'n'Wendy
                        acoleman43
                        Jkwilson
                        TedS

Erik,

Best Regards,

Skol!
                        Erik

Did they happen to mention why one post is labeled “battery” and one is labeled “aux" ? I have never worked with a breaker/fuse that was directional.
                        2020 Reflection 273MK
                        2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post

Did they happen to mention why one post is labeled “battery” and one is labeled “aux" ? I have never worked with a breaker/fuse that was directional.
                          They did not. I will follow up with them and ask... maybe so you don't attach the + and - to the mounting screw holes? But a good question....It is what confused me too.

Erik
                          Erik & Tea
                          2021 Reflection 297RSTS
                          ProPride hitch

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post

Here is Blue Sea response:

“Erik,
                            Often we have standards of manufacturing that require labeling even if it doesn’t matter.

Best Regards,

Erik & Tea
                            2021 Reflection 297RSTS
                            ProPride hitch

Comment

Working...
                            X