Are circuit breakers directional?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are circuit breakers directional?

I just finished hooking up my ne Victron Orion DC to DC charger and noticed I may have switched the line and load posts on the circuit breakers.. The breaker is a Blue Seas 60 Amp 285 series resettable breaker. One post is labeled “battery” and one is labeled “aux”. I put one on input and output side of charger. Does it matter which post is on the battery or charger side?
    if so, would both “aux” posts run towards charger,
    Or would they both orient in the same direction, TV battery to CB1 battery post, CB1 aux post to charger, charger to CB2 battery post, CB2 Aux post to trailer battery?

Thanks,
    Erik
    Last edited by Popga; 01-23-2023, 10:41 PM.
    Erik & Tea
    2021 Reflection 297RSTS
    2005 Ford Excursion 6L diesel
    ProPride hitch

Won’t fire it up until I’m sure it’s wired correctly
    Erik & Tea
    2021 Reflection 297RSTS
    ProPride hitch

Comment

A couple more photos….

Erik
      Attached Files
      Erik & Tea
      2021 Reflection 297RSTS
      ProPride hitch

Comment

Originally posted by Popga View Post
        I just finished hooking up my ne Victron Orion DC to DC charger and noticed I may have switched the line and load posts on the circuit breakers.. The breaker is a Blue Seas 60 Amp 225 type resettable breaker. One post is labeled “battery” and one is labeled “aux”. I put one on input and output side of charger. Does it matter which post is on the battery or charger side?
        if so, would both “aux” posts run towards charger,
        Or would they both orient in the same direction, TV battery to CB1 battery post, CB1 aux post to charger, charger to CB2 battery post, CB2 Aux post to trailer battery?

Thanks,
        Erik
        Eric
        I don't think it makes a difference. You have hot in on one side and hot out the other. I have the same breakers and never noticed any markings. Mine are working fine.
        However an expert will be along shortly
        Keith
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

In general, breakers aren’t directional unless the posts are labelled line and load. Some breakers need power on certain components to engage.
          John & Kathy
          2014 Reflection 303RLS
          2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by Jkwilson View Post
            In general, breakers aren’t directional unless the posts are labelled line and load. Some breakers need power on certain components to engage.
            John, They are labelled... "Battery" on one post and "Aux" on the other. My thought was the "battery" may be the same as "line". No instructions on package and can't find them on line either.

Thanks,
            Erik
            Erik & Tea
            2021 Reflection 297RSTS
            ProPride hitch

Comment

John, They are labelled... "Battery" on one post and "Aux" on the other. My thought was the "battery" may be the same as "line". No instructions on package and can't find them on line either.

Thanks,
              Erik
              Maybe "battery" goes to power source and "Aux" goes to electrical component???
              Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Originally posted by acoleman43 View Post

Maybe "battery" goes to power source and "Aux" goes to electrical component???
                Makes sense headed from tow vehicle battery to charger but what about charger to trailer battery?

Erik
                Erik & Tea
                2021 Reflection 297RSTS
                ProPride hitch

Comment

Thanks,
                  Erik
                  Copper plated is power in, which should be labelled battery.

Another reason for the dedicated terminals is to avoid any chance of the bimetallic portion of the breaker from possibly protruding through the body of the breaker while energized.

John & Kathy
                  2014 Reflection 303RLS
                  2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by Jkwilson View Post

Copper plated is power in, which should be labelled battery.

Another reason for the dedicated terminals is to avoid any chance of the bimetallic portion of the breaker from possibly protruding through the body of the breaker while energized.
                    With that in mind, does the breaker on the "Output" side of charger connect with the "Battery" post connected directly to battery also? Kind of like 2 rivers (batteries) flowing to the lake (Charger)?

I'm sure I'm overthinking this, but its what I do best....

Erik
                    Erik & Tea
                    2021 Reflection 297RSTS
                    ProPride hitch

Comment

The current should be going one way. Tow vehicle battery to charger to trailer battery. I would read batt as source and aux as load. So connect tow vehicle battery as source, batt on cb1, and charger output as source, batt on cb2. Like the original post.
                      Ted
                      2021 Reflection 310RLS
                      2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

You have them wired the way I would do it. BAT connection on source. The source doesn't have to be a battery. Just think of it as 'where the power is coming from'.
                        2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                        Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Even the ever truthful internet has confusing answers.

On edit: just asking, is the dc-dc charger directional, polarized? Is cb2 necessary?
                          Last edited by TedS; 01-24-2023, 07:39 AM.
                          Ted
                          2021 Reflection 310RLS
                          2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                            You have them wired the way I would do it. BAT connection on source. The source doesn't have to be a battery. Just think of it as 'where the power is coming from'.
                            But, electrons and also the current (and therefore the power) comes from the negative terminal.
                            Home Base: Fairfax, Virginia
                            2021 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS Travel Trailer
                            2002 Ford F350 7.3 Diesel 4X4 SRW

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmer View Post

But, electrons and also the current (and therefore the power) comes from the negative terminal.
                              A case of physics and convention not matching.
                              Ted
                              2021 Reflection 310RLS
                              2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Working...
                              X