Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Winter battery disconnect - with solar to the power pannel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter battery disconnect - with solar to the power pannel?

I just remembered to disconnect my battery's for winter. Last year I forgot and drained both battery's when solar panels got covered with snow. First, when the dealer put in my 170 watt solar set up he wired it to the back of the power panel (where all of the 12v circuits are and not directly to the battery's. This was the shortest run as he came down the void by the tanks vents from the roof which is right beside the power panel in the basement. There is a fuse in the solar system wiring in the whall behind the Go Power solar control/monitor panel.

The dealer installed 2- 12V interstate deep cycle battery's in parallel (negative to negative and positive to positive). I got the dual battery's as part of the package. Got best price then asked for them along with a water hose and sewer hose to be thrown in.

So for winter, on the battery closest to the power bar I disconnected and taped the positive cables. One from the first battery and the one to the power bar mounted on the back wall. There is a third smaller positive wire I taped that I believe goes to the front jacks. I also turned the master 12V switch to off (big red one in pass through).

Am I Ok? Nothing in the trailer works and the Go Power monitor panel is dead - no indications.

Thanks Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
    I just remembered to disconnect my battery's for winter. Last year I forgot and drained both battery's when solar panels got covered with snow. First, when the dealer put in my 170 watt solar set up he wired it to the back of the power panel (where all of the 12v circuits are and not directly to the battery's. This was the shortest run as he came down the void by the tanks vents from the roof which is right beside the power panel in the basement. There is a fuse in the solar system wiring in the whall behind the Go Power solar control/monitor panel.

The dealer installed 2- 12V interstate deep cycle battery's in parallel (negative to negative and positive to positive). I got the dual battery's as part of the package. Got best price then asked for them along with a water hose and sewer hose to be thrown in.

So for winter, on the battery closest to the power bar I disconnected and taped the positive cables. One from the first battery and the one to the power bar mounted on the back wall. There is a third smaller positive wire I taped that I believe goes to the front jacks. I also turned the master 12V switch to off (big red one in pass through).

Am I Ok? Nothing in the trailer works and the Go Power monitor panel is dead - no indications.

Thanks Keith
    Hey Keith,
    From your owner's manual (I added emphasis):

Even when turned OFF, some equipment in your RV will draw small amounts of current. To prevent the auxiliary battery from being discharged when your RV is not connected to shore line power, disconnect the auxiliary battery negative cable at the battery. During storage, it is important to check the voltage monthly and recharge the auxiliary battery as needed. If you remove the auxiliary battery from your RV, store it in a dry, cool area per the manufacturer’s instructions.

Also, did you ensure the batteries were at full charge prior to disconnecting them?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Chart from Will's Youtube.JPG
Views:	430
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	10411

More good info: https://northeastbattery.com/battery...es-off-season/
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Hey Keith,
      From your owner's manual (I added emphasis):

Even when turned OFF, some equipment in your RV will draw small amounts of current. To prevent the auxiliary battery from being discharged when your RV is not connected to shore line power, disconnect the auxiliary battery negative cable at the battery. During storage, it is important to check the voltage monthly and recharge the auxiliary battery as needed. If you remove the auxiliary battery from your RV, store it in a dry, cool area per the manufacturer’s instructions.

Also, did you ensure the batteries were at full charge prior to disconnecting them?

Click image for larger version  Name:	Chart from Will's Youtube.JPG Views:	0 Size:	129.0 KB ID:	10411

More good info: https://northeastbattery.com/battery...es-off-season/
      DOH! I should have got this one right - note to self - read the instructions next time. Well its done and with the ends taped I should be safe? At least I remember the tape. And yes they were at 100% charge per the Go Power panel. I think the voltage was about 13.6 or something close.(solar panel working) Maybe if it warms up I go reverse what I did. I froze my fingers making a mess of it the first time
      Last edited by Yoda; 01-11-2020, 07:22 PM.
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

DOH! I should have got this one right - note to self - read the instructions next time. Well its done and with the ends taped I should be safe? At least I remember the tape. And yes they were at 100% charge per the Go Power panel. I think the voltage was about 13.6 or something close.(solar panel working) Maybe if it warms up I go reverse what I did. I froze my fingers making a mess of it the first time
        Cate&Rob has far more experience in this area than I do--so hopefully he weighs in--but I think you'll be fine. If the weather cooperates I'd get a reading on each battery just to double-check what their voltage level is disconnected from the solar panels.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Yoda

Hi Keith,

As long as one or the other (+ve or -ve) of the cables to each battery is disconnected, the battery is completely "isolated". An Isolated lead/acid battery will self discharged at less than 5% per month in cold temperatures. So, from fully charged, your batteries should be above 85% state of charge after 3 months. I leave the battery bank in my boat completely isolated like this for 5 months and always return to battery state of charge above 75%. Solar or trickle charging is not required if the batteries are completely disconnected.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Right now each battery is isolated from the another. Positive cables detached but negative cables still attached. Tomorrow I will test each for state of charge and leave a note in the trailer so I can check when the snow clears in spring. Would give me a base on performance of each one. Its a bear to get the cover off of the second one, but I think I can leave it on and use the detached positive cable and a good ground like the negative post on the other battery where the negative cables are joined together - correct?

Appreciate the help Cate&Rob howson

Comment

Yoda Sounds like a good plan. As long as each battery is disconnected from all electrical loads, it is "isolated". From your description, it sounds like the cables from the battery +ve terminals are disconnected from everything at their other ends. This will work. If these cables go to a four way both/one/two/off disconnect switch and this switch is in the off position, this will work to isolate each battery as well.

You are correct that self discharge rate over a length of time is a good indicator of battery strength/condition. One caution here . . . if you think you might have a weak/damaged battery that could drop to a very low state of charge . . . a completely discharged battery can freeze.

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
              X