Fuses vs Circuit Breakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuses vs Circuit Breakers

Why are the AC circuits in our trailers connected to circuit breakers and the DC circuits to fuses? Why not just use circuit breakers for everything?
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Originally posted by howson View Post
    Why are the AC circuits in our trailers connected to circuit breakers and the DC circuits to fuses? Why not just use circuit breakers for everything?
    I expect that this is just a "cost" consideration. Fuses are much less expensive than circuit breakers and provide the same level of protection. Most circuits will live their entire life without ever blowing the fuse.
    You can plug a circuit breaker into any fuse holder. Such as https://www.amazon.com/Tocas-Manual-...86RX2WMHH49BND

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

I expect that this is just a "cost" consideration. Fuses are much less expensive than circuit breakers and provide the same level of protection. Most circuits will live their entire life without ever blowing the fuse.
      You can plug a circuit breaker into any fuse holder. Such as https://www.amazon.com/Tocas-Manual-...86RX2WMHH49BND

Rob
      Wow! I didn't know those mini-circuit breakers existed. Thanks for the post, Rob.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Here is a breaker I purchased to replace the cheap unprotected breaker at the front of the trailer next to the junction box on the frame. I'm also purchasing one for the tongue jack. These are resettable and waterproof.

https://www.amazon.com/Tocas-Surface..._dp&th=1&psc=1

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
          Here is a breaker I purchased to replace the cheap unprotected breaker at the front of the trailer next to the junction box on the frame. I'm also purchasing one for the tongue jack. These are resettable and waterproof.

https://www.amazon.com/Tocas-Surface..._dp&th=1&psc=1
          Exactly what I'm using in my DC-DC Charger project (except it's the 60A version).

Comment

Howard,

The resettable breaker can also be used to intentionally open the circuit to the front jack as a method of theft prevention if mounted inside the passthrough. I'm not sure how many rigs are stolen and towed away but thinking it wouldn't hurt.

Jim

Comment

Thanks guys , more money well spent.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                ...the cheap unprotected breaker at the front of the trailer next to the junction box on the frame...
                I'm confused. What does this breaker control, and why do you say it's unprotected? I don't know what it means to protect a breaker.

-Steve

2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
                Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
                2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
                18k B&W Companion, non-slider
                640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
                Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
                Somerset, WI

Comment

Many Many Many years ago in electronics class we tested circuit breakers against various fuses and measured reaction time and overload time required. At that time the fuses reacted faster, maybe a few milla seconds. Instructor indicated that for the electronics the fuse protected that would be an eternity. Not sure if it is still true today, but for the price of the circuit breakers shown you can buy a heck of a lot of fuses. When I wired in my CPAP circuits I use a new type of fuse that lights up when blown. The actual fuse light up.
                  2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by steve&renee View Post

I'm confused. What does this breaker control, and why do you say it's unprotected? I don't know what it means to protect a breaker.

-Steve
                    I suspect Guest 's (Jim) comment regarding "unprotected" means "open to the environment". These breakers are behind the front of the "A" frame, street side.

Click image for larger version

Name:	unprotected.JPG
Views:	3074
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	10453
                    These breakers protect the camper from the incoming current from the battery, and (for my camper) the stabilizers, front tongue jack, and emergency brake actuator.

The diagram below should give you an idea (hopefully!). Note this circuit is specific to my modified electrical setup.

Click image for larger version

Name:	breakers1.JPG
Views:	2603
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	10454

Comment

-Steve
                      Steve,

My comment on the breaker is based on being unprotected from the environment, moisture, corrosion, etc. On my Imagine, there is a single breaker that protects the main 12V circuit on the camper. My tongue jack is protected by an inline fuse currently.

Jim
                      Last edited by Guest; 01-12-2020, 10:24 PM.

Comment

-Steve
                        Hi Steve,

The breakers that these guys are talking about are "marine" quality. This means water proof (weather protected) and not a spark source (ignition protected). For this application, the weather (water) protection is probably the most significant. This circuit breaker is close to the propane tanks, but in an open environment, so ignition risk is probably slight. Marine parts are built to standards far beyond anything OEM RV. Anytime that you can use a marine part in an RV, you are well above the RVIA "requirements".

Rob
                        Cate & Rob
                        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                        X