Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hardwired Surge Protector/EMS in 2910BH (Installation)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardwired Surge Protector/EMS in 2910BH (Installation)

I recently finished the installation of a hardwired surge protector/EMS in our ‘23 Imagine 2910BH. Figured I could share a few thoughts and photos for anyone else choosing a hardwired (as opposed to portable) EMS for a similar floorplan (i.e. 2800BH)

The two spots I found access to the main power supply line are behind the bottom drawer in the bunk room and also behind the breaker box within our tv stand/pantry cabinetry. If I chose the bunkroom location I would have had to cut the original supply line and basically use the EMS to splice the two ends together. However, I wanted to maintain the original factory power line if possible, so I chose to install within living room cabintry behind the breaker box.

There was not enough room on the floor to mount the EMS (lots of ducting and the converter took up a lot of space). Only spot I could find was up against the exterior wall and below the lowest drawer in the cabinetry. To avoid having to screw into the exterior wall, I used some plywood and notched a couple 2x4s to provide a sturdy frame to mount the EMS to.

After mounting the EMS, I pulled the original supply line out of breaker box and inserted it into the input side of EMS. I then bought about 4 ft of 6g 4-wire to run from the output side of EMS back into the breaker box. By doing it this way, I am still able to revert back to the original factory wiring if for any reason the EMS is having issues.

I dont want to make this a super long post, just getting it out there for awareness if anyone is trying to find a spot to mount an EMS in a similar floorplan. I sure wish I had the room of a 5th wheel basement, as installing it behind a cabinet drawer in a TT doesnt give much room to work with. If anyone has any questions or comments feel free to reach out.

As shown in attached photos, the main supply line comes up through floor on left side of photo. Then you can see the additional piece of wire I purchased to go from output side of EMS back to the breaker box. The EMS is mounted up off the floor but also lower enough where the drawer closes and you dont even know its back there. Also, I am not partial to PI vs Hughes Autoformers for the EMS… both are great. I just had good luck with a previous portable version of the Hughes so I stuck with them for hardwired version. The bluetooth app has worked great for me with it mounted in this location.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by howson; 01-30-2023, 01:39 PM.
    Shane & Ashlyn
    2023 Imagine 2910BH
    2022 Silverado 2500HD, 6.6L Gas, Equalizer 14K

Awesome, thanks for sharing. I can imagine that it was fun working in the back of that drawer space. Even though I have a fifth wheel I have done things in spaces that are less than accompanying.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Excellent install. We use the portable unit and are happy with it. It saved us during a heat wave and critical low voltage at the campground. I switched the fridge and HWH to gas and saved the trip to keep our AC on. I used to be concerned with someone stealing the unit where so far it hasn't happened. We do not bother to lock it.

Jim

Comment

Nicely done! I have a PI HW50C sitting on my shelf that I will be installing this spring. After debating merits of cutting the existing cable and deciding against it, I am taking similar approach as you.

Even though we have the 5th wheel, still not looking forward to wrestling with that 6awg cable in a small space! I had a hard enough time making the connections with the new cable on my workbench!
        Ken & Sandra
        2021 303RLS | 2020 F350 Lariat 6.7L 4x4 SB SRW

Comment

So from what I gather from most folks, this install can be a pain in the butt with either a TT or a 5th wheel. I only had the ability to fit one hand inside the drawer space at a time, which sure made it tough to get things mounted.

A roll of masking tape ended up being my best friend. Anytime I needed something held in place to drill/screw, I taped it to a surrounding object/wall to hold it in place until I could get a screw in it. And oh yeah, that dang 6awg wire. Stubborn to flex when hooking things up… but also stubborn to move once it is hooked up which helps keep all those connections nice and tight.

I just hope this thing lasts several years to make this all worth it! Only thing im wondering about now is that 60Hz hum noise that comes from it. Its not loud, but when things are quiet inside trailer I can def hear it. I have read how some folks used rubber spacers between screw head and mounting brackets to help reduce it some. Seems like its louder for some folks than others. With a portable unit outside at the post I had never heard it before … but now I can with the hardwired version inside.
          Shane & Ashlyn
          2023 Imagine 2910BH

Comment

We purchased a 2022 Imagine 2800BH and I want to put a hardwired EMS in the camper. Before I started, I figured I would ask if there was anything I needed to consider with respect to the pre-installed solar system on the camper. I assume that as long as I install the EMS on the main power line from the shore power outlet into the TT breaker box, I won't have to worry about messing up the solar connection, but assumptions can be dangerous. Thanks for any help that can be provided.

Thank you for the detailed post about install considerations with a TT - I'm not looking forward to mounting in such a tight space, but like the masking tape idea.
            2022 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
            2018 Ford F150 3.5 EcoBoost

Comment

Originally posted by gbglaser View Post
              We purchased a 2022 Imagine 2800BH and I want to put a hardwired EMS in the camper. Before I started, I figured I would ask if there was anything I needed to consider with respect to the pre-installed solar system on the camper. I assume that as long as I install the EMS on the main power line from the shore power outlet into the TT breaker box, I won't have to worry about messing up the solar connection, but assumptions can be dangerous. Thanks for any help that can be provided.

Thank you for the detailed post about install considerations with a TT - I'm not looking forward to mounting in such a tight space, but like the masking tape idea.
              There should be no issue with the factory solar set up and installing a EMS on the incoming shore power line.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Agree with Brian, no issues with the factory solar setup if you install hardwired EMS on incoming power supply line before it enters the breaker box.

Let me know if you have any other install questions. Tough working in a tight space, but well worth it when its permanently wired in.

Shane
                Shane & Ashlyn
                2023 Imagine 2910BH

Comment

Thank you Country Campers and swm5107 . Glad to hear it won't be a problem!
                  2022 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
                  2018 Ford F150 3.5 EcoBoost

Comment

Nice installation work!

I too installed the hardwired unit recently - combination of not wanting to be dragging out and putting away the portable unit I'd been using along with the ability to monitor power consumption and other factors along with the outage protection. And then my old unit fried (protection worked, but isn't repairable once it does) so it was time to accelerate the project.

RV Park I'm currently in has some questionable power source issues and thankfully when one leg of the power dropped in the middle of the night the unit worked as advertised and protected all of the RV systems.
                    Did a call to Hughes customer support after that and asked about a "logging" feature to track when events happen and the nice person in tech support said they are working on this due to the number of requests - but no timeline for it was available.
                    Really liking this unit, how it works, and the information it provides - highly recommend it or the portable version to anyone considering them!
                    Chris
                    2019 Solitude 3740BH
                    2019 Chevy 3500HD Duramax SRW

Comment

Working...
                    X