How Many Batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Many Batteries

Good day folks. My wife and I are going to start full timing this year after we get the house sold.
    We are seriously considering the 303RLS as our new home.

I have a question about batteries. How many come with a new trailer? Can they support more than 1? We are also looking into a solar upgrade to the rig as well, but need to know for when get started originally.

The batteries are installed by your dealer and the type and number is a matter between you and your dealer. I can't speak to the newest Reflections, but several years ago the Reflections had one sunken battery box in the front compartment. If you were to go with lithium ion batteries, you could install more of them (they're much lighter) and put them anywhere you want. Lead-acid batteries need to be vented for safety.

Rob
    Rob & Laura
    U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
    2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
    (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Originally posted by darizz View Post
      I have a question about batteries. How many come with a new trailer? Can they support more than 1?
      As Rob said, it depends on the dealer. Our dealer installed two lead acid batteries in both of the Grand Design 5th wheels we bought from them. We didn't realize until after buying our first 5th wheel (Reflection) that many dealers only install one battery.

Can they support more than one? Yes, you can install as many batteries as you have room for. Or in the case of Lithium, as many as you have $$$$ for.
      Brian & Kellie
      2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
      2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
      2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
      2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Originally posted by darizz View Post
        Good day folks. My wife and I are going to start full timing this year after we get the house sold.
        We are seriously considering the 303RLS as our new home.

I have a question about batteries. How many come with a new trailer? Can they support more than 1? We are also looking into a solar upgrade to the rig as well, but need to know for when get started originally.
        I'm going to pile on with the others--if your budget can stand it go for lithium. Below is an excellent video by Will Prowse comparing common lithium batteries.

Will's Youtube site has a slew of videos on every imaginable topic related to solar. Check it out! https://www.youtube.com/user/errolprowse/videos

He also has a comprehensive website with a lot of easy-to-follow information. Here's a link to the lithium battery section: https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/li...batteries.html

Can you tell I'm a fan?
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Howard-

I'm a big fan of Will as well. His videos are fun to watch. I've decided I will no longer own an RV with lead acid batteries. They are a hassle to maintain and one of the few things on the RV that I was constantly messing with. I'm going to ask my dealer for a credit for the two lead acid batteries he would have installed and instead buy either two 100ah or a single 250ah Battleborn lithium (LIFePO4) battery. The 250ah battery hasn't been released yet but Will did mention it in one of his recent YT videos:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-01-06 at 2.33.31 PM.png
Views:	3104
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	10517
          Brian & Kellie
          2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
          2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
          2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
          2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Originally posted by bertschb View Post
            Howard-

I'm a big fan of Will as well. His videos are fun to watch. I've decided I will no longer own an RV with lead acid batteries. They are a hassle to maintain and one of the few things on the RV that I was constantly messing with. I'm going to ask my dealer for a credit for the two lead acid batteries he would have installed and instead buy either two 100ah or a single 250ah Battleborn lithium (LIFePO4) battery. The 250ah battery hasn't been released yet but Will did mention it in one of his recent YT videos:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2020-01-06 at 2.33.31 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	1.02 MB ID:	10517
            Keep in mind that a single battery has a limit on the amperage it can sustain. Garret Towne, AMSolar Engineer, cautioned me about this limitation when I was putting together my system. A single Battle Born can sustain 100A of 12vDC which converts to 10A of 120vAC. (The battery can provide more in short bursts.) I don't know about the 250aH battery, but I suspect no more than 150A (the limit of the LifeBlue 200aH battery).

Edit: Doh! Says right on the label--capable of 300A continuous current. That's dang good!

Whether you need one 250aH battery or separate 100aH batteries depends on the inverter you plan on running. In my case, Garret recommended a minimum of three 100aH batteries, in parallel, to provide enough amperage for a 3000VA Victron Multiplus. Since it is capable of sustained 120VAC @ 25A (250A of 12VDC from the batteries). The four batteries I have, in parallel, can provide up to 400A if required so they easily keep up with the demand put on them by the Victron inverter.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Howard-
              My new 310GK-R should come with a 2000w inverter and that's what I'll use initially.
              Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

Originally posted by bertschb View Post
                Howard-
                My new 310GK-R should come with a 2000w inverter and that's what I'll use initially.
                Brian,

Did you order the solar option? If not, the stock inverter that comes with the residential frig is a 1,000 watt inverter. With solar you get a 2,000 watt inverter (like "With Six You Get Eggroll"... if you're old enough to remember that one).

Rob
                Rob & Laura
                U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
                2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
                (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
                Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Hah! Yes, I ordered the Solar Package. I'm thinking of installing a second (or 3rd????) 300w panel then upgrading the solar charge controller. I'm very new to solar and have a very rudimentary understanding. I'd rather not replace the wiring to the roof so I'll probably connect the panels in series. I don't have a use case for solar right now but hope to do some boon docking in the future.

I'm most excited about ditching the danged lead acid batteries for LiFePO4.
                  Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

I'm growing tired of how long it takes to charge my LA battery and am contemplating on moving to LiFePo for not only the energy density but how fast they can be charged. Even at 0.5C I would be thrilled compared to the 4-5 hours it takes for my WFCO to charge the battery to 90%. With prices dropping and so many options, its time. I'm still skeptical on the 10 year warranty where time will tell if battery manufacturers would really replace a battery at 8-10 years but time will tell. If I get 5-6 years out of a LiFePo battery I would consider this the break even point and would only hope for a replacement (too many disclaimers in warrantees). Prices are now cheap enough to not be so concerned on the free replacement and to just enjoy the benefits of lithium power.

Jim
                    Last edited by Guest; 01-14-2020, 11:40 AM.

Comment

I added a second battery box to my Reflection 303RLS 5th wheel. I bought the same box as the trailer comes with, and installed it on the opposite side of the trailer in the front storage compartment where the original battery is. But what I was opting for was a fresh battery on cold mornings after running the heater a bit at night. With one battery, the battery gets low by morning. I don't want to fire the generator up first thing in the morning. So I created a circuit that controls a magnetic switching dual pole high current solenoid. This type of solenoid latches by magnets to one position or the other, allowing me to switch between batteries electronically. I then mounted a 9 volt battery switch in the bedroom I can toggle that sends a quick pulse of voltage to the solenoid to switch between the batteries. Now I can switch between a dead battery and a fresh battery from inside the trailer. When I eventually do power up the generator later in the day, I toggle the switch again and it allows me to charge the dead battery while on generator power.

The biggest issue with installing the second battery box is cutting the hole in the bottom of the front storage area. I used a portable jigsaw with a metal cutting blade. Very heavy gauge wire to the battery solenoids since these are supporting all current draw when dry camping. I did a lot of measuring such that both battery boxes are in the same location on left and right of the trailer. So when you see from the outside, it is symmetrical and they match.

I am an electrical engineer, so circuits are my thing. A simple manual switch between the batteries (high current), would work too. Or you can simply wire in parallel with no switches. The problem I have with parallel is if one battery starts to fail it will drag down the other battery. They don't always wear out together. In fact, I prefer to buy them a couple of year apart so one is always fresher. That way the likelihood of both dying while out dry camping is less.
                      Tony G
                      2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Highcountry
                      2016 Grand Designs Reflection 303RLS
                      KTM 250XC

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Godrich View Post
                        I am an electrical engineer...
                        Uh oh...there's another one loose in the forum...

Yoda
                        TucsonJim
                        Cate&Rob
                        ...and others I may have overlooked!

(Seriously, good to have you here, Tony!)

Howard

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Godrich View Post
                          I added a second battery box to my Reflection 303RLS 5th wheel.
                          EXACTLY what Tony says in post 11 . . . for all the reasons that he describes. Tony . . . where have you been? . . . I have been telling this story for years. But (since I am a mechanical engineer) I used a mechanical switch . . . we undoubtedly will get in to where I uses the magnetic and solenoid switches in further discussion .

Rob
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Cate&Rob; 04-23-2020, 09:24 PM.
                          Cate & Rob
                          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                          2015 Reflection 303RLS
                          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Uh oh...there's another one loose in the forum...

Yoda
                            TucsonJim
                            Cate&Rob
                            ...and others I may have overlooked!

(Seriously, good to have you here, Tony!)

Howard
                            Howard is very correct - we are in trouble now with an electrical engineer here. I think we can cover all the bases.
                            tgodrich If you have a chance can you please take a look at my plan (link below) - or disaster in the making? Thanks in advance
                            https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ch-in-bathroom

Keith
                            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Howard is very correct - we are in trouble now with an electrical engineer here. I think we can cover all the bases.
                              tgodrich If you have a chance can you please take a look at my plan (link below) - or disaster in the making? Thanks in advance
                              https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ch-in-bathroom

Keith
                              Hi Keith,
                              I just ran across your post from April in my notifications. Sorry for the late reply.
                              I tried to load the URL, but it did not work. Is it still a valid URL? You could also send me an email directly at godrich@ieee.org

Tony
                              Tony G
                              2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Highcountry
                              2016 Grand Designs Reflection 303RLS
                              KTM 250XC

Comment

Working...
                              X