Battery power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery power

The other night we had a storm and the power was out over night, so we decided to go to our 2020 Reflection 28BH so we could watch tv. When we got in, the lights and radio would work, but the TV and Microwave would not. When the house power came back on and sent power back to the trailer everything worked. I thought that the battery in the trailer would run everything while it was charged, and yes it was fully charged. Do you have to do something else to make th stuff besides the lights work from the battery or is something wrong with my RV.

TV, microwave and AC will not run on a 12-volt system. A generator is required to run them if you don't have shore power.
    Dennis & Phyllis Manley
    2018 Reflection 27RL; 2008 Silverado 2500HD 4X4

Comment

Originally posted by Davidd10 View Post
      The other night we had a storm and the power was out over night, so we decided to go to our 2020 Reflection 28BH so we could watch tv. When we got in, the lights and radio would work, but the TV and Microwave would not. When the house power came back on and sent power back to the trailer everything worked. I thought that the battery in the trailer would run everything while it was charged, and yes it was fully charged. Do you have to do something else to make th stuff besides the lights work from the battery or is something wrong with my RV.
      The TV and microwave run on 120vAC. Your lights and radio on 12vDC. To run the AC components off a battery you need an inverter (or a generator as previously mentioned). An inverter is a device that changes 12vDC to 120vAC. What you have in your RV is a converter, which changes 120vAC into 12vDC to charge your battery and run the 12V systems in your camper. (Your battery assists as needed.)

There is a LOT of information related to this subject! Be prepared to do some reading if you're serious about getting an inverter. If you want to read what I've done in my camper, check out this thread: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...s-in-a-315rlts
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Davidd10 View Post
        One more recommendation--worth every penny is Mike Sokol's book. It is a great primer on the electrical system in your RV. https://www.amazon.com/No-Shock-Zone.../dp/0990527913

Click image for larger version  Name:	No Shock.JPG Views:	0 Size:	58.9 KB ID:	10523
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks all for the information!

Comment

If I may tag onto this post, I have a related question. I have a 2018 Solitude 374TH. It came with a built in inverter to run my Samsung refrigerator. How do I get it to also power up the ac outlet that operates my living room tv?

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Purser View Post
              If I may tag onto this post, I have a related question. I have a 2018 Solitude 374TH. It came with a built in inverter to run my Samsung refrigerator. How do I get it to also power up the ac outlet that operates my living room tv?
              Hi Thomas. Unfortunately, the wiring is not in place for the dedicated inverter to run your TV. One way you could do this is to run an extension cord from the inverter to the plug for the television. Another method would be to purchase a small inverter (probably about 300 watts and connect it to a 12 volt source in order to provide power for the TV.

Jim
              Jim and Ginnie
              2024 Solitude 310GK
              GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
              GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Hi Thomas. Unfortunately, the wiring is not in place for the dedicated inverter to run your TV. One way you could do this is to run an extension cord from the inverter to the plug for the television. Another method would be to purchase a small inverter (probably about 300 watts and connect it to a 12 volt source in order to provide power for the TV.

Jim
                Great idea. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                X