Battery Disconnect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Disconnect?

After winterizing our 5th wheel we used the battery disconnect switch to disconnect our battery, or so we thought... we went out this past weekend and our battery is dead. Is there a reason for this or are we missing something? Thanks for your help!

Originally posted by Jrpammink View Post
    After winterizing our 5th wheel we used the battery disconnect switch to disconnect our battery, or so we thought... we went out this past weekend and our battery is dead. Is there a reason for this or are we missing something? Thanks for your help!
    The factory "battery disconnect" does not disconnect everything. The CO detector, the radio memory and other things are still powered up. These are small loads, but they will fully discharge a single battery in a week or two. Many of us have installed a true "battery disconnect switch" on either the positive or negative cable to the battery. Another alternative is to physically disconnect either the positive or negative cable from the battery. This will preserve it's state of charge.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Hi and welcome to the forum. Unfortunately, you aren't missing anything. The factory battery disconnect switch doesn't disconnect the battery. Depending on your particular model, there are at least a couple systems (e.g. CO detector) that stay connected even when the switch is turned off. It's one of my few pet peeves I have with Grand Design.

Most people either remove the negative battery cable or install a second (real) battery disconnect in order to disconnect the battery. Hopefully your battery wasn't damaged.
      Brian & Kellie
      2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
      2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
      2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
      2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Thank you for your responses!

Comment

[QUOTE=bertschb;n10630]The factory battery disconnect switch doesn't disconnect the battery. Depending on your particular model,

Correct on model variation. My 2017 2600RB Imagine battery switch cuts all power to my rig. Guess I lucked out. In addition, there is a new and improved battery switch that has a strong detent at the end of travel to prevent power interruptions. My original switch had no detent and would spring back and lose power when traveling.

Jim

Comment

Neither my 2016 nor my 2019 battery "cut off" switch cut all power. One of my first mods for the new 310GK-R will be to add a functional cut off switch.
            Brian & Kellie
            2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
            2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
            2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
            2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Ok I understand the reasoning behind having “life safety “ stuff connected ahead of the battery disconnect.....today I went by the Rv storage place to connect shore power just to charge the battery since it’s been so cold here and with the disconnect in off position ALL 12volt devices worked! Just to double check myself(no vom with me) I tried
              all the interior lights with the battery disconnect in both positions.....devices only went off when I disconnected shore power!
              Is this how it’s supposed to operate? On previous rigs the disconnect turned everything 12volt off regardless of status of shore power!
              Keith and Diane
              2014 Reflection 337 RLS
              2017 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins Mega Cab

Comment

Originally posted by Kksfish View Post
                Ok I understand the reasoning behind having “life safety “ stuff connected ahead of the battery disconnect.....today I went by the Rv storage place to connect shore power just to charge the battery since it’s been so cold here and with the disconnect in off position ALL 12volt devices worked! Just to double check myself(no vom with me) I tried
                all the interior lights with the battery disconnect in both positions.....devices only went off when I disconnected shore power!
                Is this how it’s supposed to operate? On previous rigs the disconnect turned everything 12volt off regardless of status of shore power!
                What's happening is your Converter is supplying 12V power to your devices while on shore power. When you disconnected shore power it (obviously) shut off. You can simulate this by turning off the circuit breaker at the power convenience center.
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks Howard......that makes sense! Some rainy day when I have nothing else to do guess I’ll install a second disconnect so I can charge the battery without enabling my 12volt stuff.....I like to have the shore power on a timer once a week just to keep battery charged but don’t like the idea of having everything (landing gear) operable !
                  Keith and Diane
                  2014 Reflection 337 RLS

Comment

Thanks Howard......that makes sense! Some rainy day when I have nothing else to do guess I’ll install a second disconnect so I can charge the battery without enabling my 12volt stuff.....I like to have the shore power on a timer once a week just to keep battery charged but don’t like the idea of having everything (landing gear) operable !
                    A lot of us have done just that. It's not too hard. While you're at it swap out the OEM disconnect for a Blue Sea and there's no more accidental bumping of the key.

In my setup shutoff 2 performs exactly like the OEM's and shutoff 1 is my "kill everything" switch.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Blue Sea.JPG
Views:	2118
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	11235

Click image for larger version

Name:	Final Configuration 2.jpg
Views:	2244
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	11236

Attached Files
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Thanks Howard! Nice one line diagram.....
                      Keith and Diane
                      2014 Reflection 337 RLS

Comment

Thanks Howard! Nice one line diagram.....
                        I think you will be a little more involved in this than you think. Howards "one line diagram" is for a TT not a fifth wheel. In the front storage where the battery is located are similar breakers that Howard has pictured. The battery connects to these breakers and then distributed off to where ever needed. When plugged into shore power that travels to the AC breaker panel and then to the converter/charger from the converter charger to the 12 volt panel beside the AC breaker panel. From the 12 volt panel it is then distributed to the RV as well as back to the battery for charging. The only way to stop all of the 12 volt items in the RV from being on when on shore power is to stop the power from the converter/charger from powering the 12 volt panel.
                        I think this is right and hope it makes sense.

Brian
                        Brian & Michelle
                        2018 Reflection 29RS
                        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

I think you will be a little more involved in this than you think. Howards "one line diagram" is for a TT not a fifth wheel. In the front storage where the battery is located are similar breakers that Howard has pictured. The battery connects to these breakers and then distributed off to where ever needed. When plugged into shore power that travels to the AC breaker panel and then to the converter/charger from the converter charger to the 12 volt panel beside the AC breaker panel. From the 12 volt panel it is then distributed to the RV as well as back to the battery for charging. The only way to stop all of the 12 volt items in the RV from being on when on shore power is to stop the power from the converter/charger from powering the 12 volt panel.
                          I think this is right and hope it makes sense.

Brian
                          Hmmm...I'll need to look at your 5vr in April. Theoretically it *should* be simple on your rig, too.

Edit: But of course you're right about the converter and when on shore power. My input was based on the ability to kill all power from the battery to the trailer. Killing the converter is as simple as turning off the circuit breaker.
                          Last edited by howson; 01-25-2020, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Thanks Brian, I didn’t think about that!
                            I will have to investigate and ring out my current configuration, but it sounds as if I can put a disconnect after the converter and ahead of the 12V.....
                            Keith and Diane
                            2014 Reflection 337 RLS

Comment

Working...
                            X