Upgrade to Rear Tail\Brake\Turn Signal Lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade to Rear Tail\Brake\Turn Signal Lights

So, we carry bikes on the rear of our 2022 22MLE. My problem is that I can't keep them covered while underway because the lights on these XLS units (and others) are small and low. If I cover the bikes, they're hidden. I've read how others upgraded their lighting and just wanted to add my setup for reference.

I stared with tearing into the back end of the trailer as much as could from the inside to see if there was any possibility I could run the needed wiring inside the trailer. Unfortunately, that didn't work out due to obstructions. So, I resorted to mounting the wiring in channels on the outside of the trailer and I think it came out great.

I purchased 12" LED strip lights for the new higher mounted lights and went with much larger LED units to replace the much smaller original ones. All from Amazon. My first problem was with the strip lights. I ordered a few different designs, but they all posed the same problem, they are designed to be able to drill a hole in the mounting surface to run the wires through, dang. I settled on a set but needed to do some modifications to the housings so that they would sit flat and be able to run the wires out. I did that by cutting a lot of plastic away from the back side so that the wires could first "lay flat" below the ridge of their base. After cutting away the plastic so the wires could lay flat, I used epoxy to cement the wires and seal them. At this step I tested them to ensure I hadn't cut or broken the wires where they connect to the electronics within the lights. All good so next I cut "channels" in the base so the wires could come out and the base of the light could sit flat against the mounting surface. I had to cut similar channels in the bases of the replacement tail lights for the same purpose.

Next, I had to extend the wires from the LED strip lights because they were only about 8 inches long and wouldn't reach the taillights.

The next hurdle came trying to ensure once all the wiring was connected the lights would all work as they should because the wire coloring didn't match the factory wiring color. After that I tried to be meticulous in measuring so everything would sit at the same heights, etc., from side to side. Goes to figure the taillights weren't originally installed at the same height so in order to cover the lower screw hole left from the factory light on the PS side, I had to mount that new light maybe 1/2 inch lower than the DS which is such a challenge for me

I'm including some pictures which may or may not make sense so feel free to ask any relevant questions.

Factory light:

Hard to make out but this shot shows the LED strip lights before and after reworking the wires:

Cutting the channels for the wires to exit the new taillights to connect to the strip lights:

Working on verifying which wire needs to connect with which to get the proper features of tail/brake&turn:

Running the wiring through the channel:

The final result:

I currently don't have room to put the bikes on and test, but I will be doing that this weekend as we leave for a 2 week trip and I'll get a shot then but I'm certain the new strip lights will be easily visible n matter what.
    Paul and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD; 2015 Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Paul & Deb -- looks good! Thanks for the thorough documentation (added the "modification" tag to your post).
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Great write-up, Paul !

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Awesome work Mr. C.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

That's a clean setup even with the swap to the square surface mount lights.

If they were not so expensive, I'd ask about running Recon Line of Fire vertical up the side.

Red https://gorecon.com/products/60-hype...ght-bar-in-red
          Or red and amber with white https://gorecon.com/products/60-tail...ef9af161&_ss=r
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

I'm leery of adding additional lights. Some of you may remember that I switched my incandescent brake/turn light bulbs for LED bulbs. Although the lights functioned properly, they had a different resistance which caused my truck to see an error and I frequently received a message on the driver's panel about a "brake circuit failure". I resolved the issue by reinstalling incandescent bulbs.

Adding any new lights can certainly change the resistance or current in the circuit. I'll be interested to see how your new lights work out Paul.

Jim
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I had a similar problem with my bike cover obstructing my brake/tail lights. I added LED supplemental brake/tail lights just below the rear window of our 303 and used the 4 way flat power source near the receiver hitch on the back of the 5th wheel. I ran the wiring through a cover as illustrated in the above picture. I have not experienced any compatability problems between the incandescent and LED lights with my Ford Superduty.
              John & Cindy
              2019 303 RLS
              2018 F250

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                I'm leery of adding additional lights. Some of you may remember that I switched my incandescent brake/turn light bulbs for LED bulbs. Although the lights functioned properly, they had a different resistance which caused my truck to see an error and I frequently received a message on the driver's panel about a "brake circuit failure". I resolved the issue by reinstalling incandescent bulbs.

Adding any new lights can certainly change the resistance or current in the circuit. I'll be interested to see how your new lights work out Paul.

Jim
                I didn't remember your experience. I did replace the incandescent lights on my 337 with LED and never had an issue. This unit of course is LED for LED. I'll come back if I experience an issues though.
                Paul and Deb Cervone
                2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

TucsonJim Jim, I have heard reports of people getting the light out warning. Did you look at adding the resistors to the bulbs to eliminate the light out warning?

https://www.xenondepot.com/xd11-11-o...tor?quantity=1

I know there are other probably cheaper options out there. like
                  https://www.superbrightleds.com/led-...sh-warning-fix
                  https://www.diodedynamics.com/led-re...-kit-pair.html
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                  Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

TucsonJim

Joseph's idea sound like a simple solution but if that doesn't work how about letting the wiring to the trailer's brake/turn lights key a small relay that would activate the process. I guess that's assuming the relay's coil would provide the correct resistance.
                    2020 Reflection 273MK
                    2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Paul & Deb

Thanks for posting your tail light project. I have been scheming to install just such a setup and would dearly love to know the Amazon links to the light units you showed in the photos. I have an older Imagine that came with the 1157 incandescent tail light bulbs, which I swapped for LED bulbs. A bit brighter but still scary dim for my taste, so I want to replace them with LED units and accentuate them with the tall, narrow LEDs. If you have any newer observations, I'd love to read about those too. Thanks again!
                      Ron & Becky
                      Harley the Golden Doodle
                      2018 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK
                      2017 Chevy Silverado LTZ 5.3L

Comment

Originally posted by Ronster View Post
                        Paul & Deb

Thanks for posting your tail light project. I have been scheming to install just such a setup and would dearly love to know the Amazon links to the light units you showed in the photos. I have an older Imagine that came with the 1157 incandescent tail light bulbs, which I swapped for LED bulbs. A bit brighter but still scary dim for my taste, so I want to replace them with LED units and accentuate them with the tall, narrow LEDs. If you have any newer observations, I'd love to read about those too. Thanks again!
                        Here you go!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                        Paul and Deb Cervone
                        2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                        2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

Thanks again!
                          Ron & Becky
                          Harley the Golden Doodle
                          2018 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK
                          2017 Chevy Silverado LTZ 5.3L

Comment

Paul & Deb

Paul,

What did you do for a license place light?

Brian
                            Brian & Michelle
                            2018 Reflection 29RS
                            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                              Paul & Deb

Paul,

What did you do for a license place light?

Brian
                              On this trailer the license plate actually has a dedicated light fixture! Unlike my 337 which had the light as part of the taillight. So, I didn't have to worry about it.

Paul and Deb Cervone
                              2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                              2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

Working...
                              X