Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generate Electricity from Propane

Originally posted by Running from Gnats View Post
    I'm adding a hose run from the aux port on our Imagine 2600RB so I can run propane to our dual fuel inverter.
    On reading that I thought, "WOW! An inverter than can generate power from propane?! That's magic... I've gotta get one of those!" Upon googling it seems certain that you're talking about an inverter-equipped generator, which I already have sitting in my trailer.

If they can make a fridge ice cold by burning hot propane why can't they magically make electricity that way too?!

Note: The first five posts in this thread were extracted from https://gdrvowners.com/forum/propane...line-for-leaks -Moderator Howard
    Last edited by howson; 01-19-2020, 08:47 PM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Originally posted by boyscout View Post

On reading that I thought, "WOW! An inverter than can generate power from propane?! That's magic... I've gotta get one of those!" Upon googling it seems certain that you're talking about an inverter-equipped generator, which I already have sitting in my trailer.

If they can make a fridge ice cold by burning hot propane why can't they magically make electricity that way too?!
    You can. Thermocouples use the Peltier Effect to detect heat and generate an electrical signal. It can be scaled up, but I think using the propane to run an internal combustion engine is more practical.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper
      Some here are describing a fuel cell which converts the chemical energy from a fuel which in the auto industry is hydrogen, to be converted to electrical energy. I've been in several cars with this technology but not yet seen this in an RV. Evidentially though, they are out there.

https://www.wattfuelcell.com/uses/rv/
      Looks like they're not quite out there yet, but getting close. 14kw/hr per day for a couple of days from a 20-pound tank of propane. No price yet. Thanks Jim! Sorry Running from Gnats for hi-jacking your thread.
      Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Working...
      X