This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing an Inverter and Transfer Switch in a pre-wired GDRV

As I continue to upgrade/modify my 2022 Reflection 303RLS, I am documenting everything via video and posting to YouTube. I have all of the necessary components sitting on my workbench - just patiently waiting for my shoulder to heal. Yesterday, I decided to tackle the inverter prep circuit and install my Automatic Transfer Switch. The location is temporary so wiring has not been properly secured.

In the video, I attempt to explain the inverter prep circuit and walk through the steps necessary to determine which wire goes where on the ATS. Then I cover (in great detail) how the ATS works and why I decided to wire it the way I did.​

Click here to watch the video
    2022 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.7 Cummins, RamBox, Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Plus, B&W Companion
    2022 Reflection 303RLS, Progressive hardwired EMS, Airborne Sidewinder​
    YouTube Chanel

Thanks for the video. My 295RL is wired the same way. You saved me quite a bit of time chasing wires.

Comment

Thanks . I finished my inverter and transfer switch instal over Memorial Day . Worked as it was designed to. Morning coffee without having to fire up generator.
      Attached Files

Comment

Your video is superbly done. Thanks so much for adding this to our knowledge base. I'm going to add this to the electrical reference material so it's easily locatable.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Moderator Note: The original thread title was focused on installing an inverter and automatic transfer switch (ATS) in a Reflection 303RLS. The title of the thread was changed with the original poster's permission in order to meet the needs of any owner with a pre-wired unit from the factory.

Jim
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

Thank you for the video, it explained the intention of Grand Design very well. I have a 2023 Imagine AIM 15RB and have included these pictures as a reference if it will help somebody with this model.
            The pictures show where I mounted my transfer switch as well as the remote on/off switch for my inverter.My trailer was labeled inverter prep right inside the camp side front compartment, but the A/C loop was enclosed completely inside the wall. I found it by partially dropping the underbelly. I mounted my remote switch by cutting a hole for it right inside the front door on that wall. I then went inside the front storage and cut out a small hole in the corner to bring the A/C loop into the front compartment and mounted the transfer switch over this hole and terminated the wires. Once I install my inverter in the front passthrough. there will be one additional A/C wire coming out the top of the transfer switch to the inverter.
            Last edited by Bill2023; 12-27-2023, 03:16 PM.
            Bill
            2023 Imagine AIM 15RB
            2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Comment

WOW - I thought about installing an inverter being my trailer is "inverter ready", but it looks like a lot of work just to get a few outlets working off of the solar/battery setup.
              Raymond and Dee Dee
              2024 Reflection 296 RDTS
              2023 Chevrolet 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by reubenray View Post
                WOW - I thought about installing an inverter being my trailer is "inverter ready", but it looks like a lot of work just to get a few outlets working off of the solar/battery setup.
                I think it all depends on your camping style. We like the flexibility of being able to pull over on a long travel day and make lunch, or hit the occasional Harvest Host site. There are all-in-one units available (inverter, charger, and transfer switch) that make the process much easier. One of those and a couple of LiFePo4 batteries and you are good to go.
                2022 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.7 Cummins, RamBox, Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Plus, B&W Companion
                YouTube Chanel

Comment

Originally posted by Jomani View Post

I think it all depends on your camping style. We like the flexibility of being able to pull over on a long travel day and make lunch, or hit the occasional Harvest Host site. There are all-in-one units available (inverter, charger, and transfer switch) that make the process much easier. One of those and a couple of LiFePo4 batteries and you are good to go.
                  This was my reason also. I don't plan on boondocking any, but it would be nice to eat lunch at a rest stop. Any hints on what all-in-one unit to get would be appreciated. I am assuming I would need to run wiring from the inverter to the inside of the trailer somehow. I am not electrical savvy and certainly not solar savvy.
                  Raymond and Dee Dee
                  2024 Reflection 296 RDTS
                  2023 Chevrolet 2500HD

Comment

reubenray - Victron makes a top notch inverter/charger/transfer switch unit called the Multiplus II. However, if you're not electrical savvy, I'd certainly recommend you get a professional install. Improper wiring on any inverter/charger can be hazardous to your health and safety.

Jim
                    Jim and Ginnie
                    2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

Originally posted by reubenray View Post

This was my reason also. I don't plan on boondocking any, but it would be nice to eat lunch at a rest stop. Any hints on what all-in-one unit to get would be appreciated. I am assuming I would need to run wiring from the inverter to the inside of the trailer somehow. I am not electrical savvy and certainly not solar savvy.
                      As TucsonJim said, consult a professional if you aren’t 100% sure how to wire things up. If you have the inverter prep circuit, most of the wiring is already in place.

Yes, Victron makes some very nice stuff if you are willing to pay for it. I went with Renogy because I don’t use my inverter a lot, and I have had good luck with their products. They have a new line of products that does include some combo units.

As far as your solar, it is nothing more than a small battery charger. You will need to size your battery bank to meet the demands of the inverter (depending on size, inverters can draw a lot of current). In the end, the batteries will probably be the most expensive part of adding an inverter. Figure out what AC appliances you want to run (microwave, toaster, coffee pot, TV, etc.) and add up all of the power requirements in watts. Then think about the DC loads such as lights, heat, fans, slides, etc.

Once you have a good idea what you want the system to do, you can plan accordingly.
                      YouTube Chanel

Comment

Too funny…

Our power went out a few minutes ago. Opened the slides, kicked the inverter on and set my phone up as a hotspot. Back watching the football game drinking a glass of wine. I guess you just never know when an inverter will come in handy.
                        YouTube Chanel

Comment

Originally posted by Bill2023 View Post
                          Thank you for the video, it explained the intention of Grand Design very well. I have a 2023 Imagine AIM 15RB and have included these pictures as a reference if it will help somebody with this model.
                          The pictures show where I mounted my transfer switch as well as the remote on/off switch for my inverter.My trailer was labeled inverter prep right inside the camp side front compartment, but the A/C loop was enclosed completely inside the wall. I found it by partially dropping the underbelly. I mounted my remote switch by cutting a hole for it right inside the front door on that wall. I then went inside the front storage and cut out a small hole in the corner to bring the A/C loop into the front compartment and mounted the transfer switch over this hole and terminated the wires. Once I install my inverter in the front passthrough. there will be one additional A/C wire coming out the top of the transfer switch to the inverter.
                          I assume that our XLS 22MLE will be similar to an AIM......... There's an extra "box" under the bed opposite where the sticker is on the pass through wall, so hopefully that's where the wire loop is.

Based on the videos and what I've read in this forum, If I look at my distribution panel label, if I add a transfer switch/inverter, that buss bar will power "General" ( which I assume are the 120v outlets) the A/C, and "REFER OPTION (Whatever that is)? After cutting the loop, "Inverter main" will be power out to the transfer switch, and "Inverter RET" will be power back to that buss end from the switch. BUT why would they think that you would want the higher load A/C on the inverter circuit versus the microwave? Hopefully there will be enough wire slack to just swap the Microwave and A/C breakers.

Comment

Originally posted by ENDICOTTCEB View Post

I assume that our XLS 22MLE will be similar to an AIM......... There's an extra "box" under the bed opposite where the sticker is on the pass through wall, so hopefully that's where the wire loop is.

Based on the videos and what I've read in this forum, If I look at my distribution panel label, if I add a transfer switch/inverter, that buss bar will power "General" ( which I assume are the 120v outlets) the A/C, and "REFER OPTION (Whatever that is)? After cutting the loop, "Inverter main" will be power out to the transfer switch, and "Inverter RET" will be power back to that buss end from the switch. BUT why would they think that you would want the higher load A/C on the inverter circuit versus the microwave? Hopefully there will be enough wire slack to just swap the Microwave and A/C breakers.
                            I am not familiar with your model, but I expect others here will have more specific advice. Based on your panel picture your description sounds like what I would expect. If you are comfortable with a multimeter you can confirm where the break in the bus bar is and what will be powered. REFER OPTION I would guess would be 120v refrigerator option perhaps? I had more than enough slack in my loop and ended up cutting off about 2'. When you do complete your project consider posting any specific info to your model back to here. This forum has been a great resource for me during my projects.
                            Bill
                            2023 Imagine AIM 15RB
                            2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Comment

Hi Jomani et al,

I am new to the forum. My wife and I own a 2022 Reflection 226RK. I appreciate your detailed video. I too am upgrading our electrical system and have a few questions to ask.

I am replacing the Interstate 88AH lead-acid battery installed in the unit with two Renogy LiFePh 100AH batteries. I am adding a Renogy 2000W Inverter-Charger, and disconnecting the factory-installed Progressive Dynamics Inteli-Power Charger Wizard converter as it is not compatible with LFP batteries.

Your instructions for installing the ATS is spot on, as our set-up is exactly the same. However, I will not require an ATS, as the Renogy inverter-charger has an internal transfer switch. So, I will wire directly to the inverter-charger. On to my questions...

I am expecting that the same positive terminal on the buss-bar that the Inteli-Power converter is connected to (and supplying 12VDC charging to the battery), may be used for the Renogy inverter-charger. I plan on adding a 200A ANL fuse to the positive line. Does this set-up sound correct?

Also installed is a Furrion MPPT 50A Solar Charge Controller, along with a Furrion 165W solar panel. I expect that this controller will recognize when the Renogy inverter-charger is charging the battery, as it worked properly with the Inteli-Power converter. Am I correct in this assumption?

I appreciate any advice to ensure I get this upgrade done correctly.

Dan "ridingabout55"
                              2022 Reflection 226RK
                              2017 Ford F350 Lariat
                              Dan "ridingabout55"
                              2022 Reflection 226RK
                              2017 Ford F350 Lariat

Comment

Working...
                              X