Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is your fireplace and gfi supposed to work if only on 30amp power?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is your fireplace and gfi supposed to work if only on 30amp power?

We have our trailer parked at home right now plugged into 30amp power. We can run the living room ac with a soft start installed and the microwave works the lights in the living area work but, the fireplace does not work or any of the GFI plugs in the bedroom or the master bathroom..... any ideas of what we are doing wrong? When you look at the braker panel it seems like only one side of the panel is working and the side with the fireplace, inverter,GFI plugs, hot water heater doesnt seem to be working. Can the twist lock not be seeded right that goes into the rv?

Thanks in advance!

Crystal Miller
    Last edited by Crystal; 04-25-2023, 02:34 PM.
    Phil & Crystal
    2019 Solitude 373 FB Fifth Wheel

Crystal I'd suspect a bad dog bone adapter. It should be tieing the two legs on the trailer together into one on the pedestal side. Do you have a multi meter and know how to use it? If so we can help you troubleshoot it.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

ncitro my husband checked the plug on the pedestal it was fine... This did happened once before the fireplace was not working even when the trailer was plugged into the 50amps power.... my husband went outside to look at the plug that feeds into the trailer and he found out it was not in the receptical good. Is this common with this type of plug? Are they hard to make a good connection with?

Crystal Miller
      Phil & Crystal

Comment

Originally posted by Crystal View Post
        ncitro my husband checked the plug on the pedestal it was fine... This did happened once before the fireplace was not working even when the trailer was plugged into the 50amps power.... my husband went outside to look at the plug that feeds into the trailer and he found out it was not in the receptical good. Is this common with this type of plug? Are they hard to make a good connection with?

Crystal Miller
        Yes, it’s common for it to not be inserted enough leaving one leg dead. It pushes in, then twists, then you tighten the ring. If the ring doesn’t turn freely, it’s a sign the plug isn’t fully inserted. Gravity and the twist in the cord works against you on this.

John & Kathy
        2014 Reflection 303RLS
        2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by Crystal View Post

Crystal Miller
          I did it twice, thus why I switched over to a Smart Plug. Easy modification, but not inexpensive unfortunately. Full story here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...n-on-a-315rlts
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Crystal yes it needs to be fully inserted and twisted. I did the same as Howard and upgraded to the Smart Plug.

Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

So just a update on my problem......

I found out that the pigtail my husband bought for us to use when we are only going to be getting 30 amps of power is a ****ty one.
              This pigtail uses a 30 amp plug plus a 110 plug on one end that then goes into a 50 amp plug. By using this pigtail you have to plug both the 30amp and the 110 plugs in at the same time in order to get the whole breaker box to get power... The problem with this is that the 110 plug will not work if you are plugging it into a 110 outlet that has a GFIC in it. So I went out and plugged the 110 plug in using a extension cord to a outlet that doesn't have a GFIC and the whole panel works!!! I know that you are still only getting 30amps of power but, my fireplace and other things on that side of the panel now work.

I need to get a 30 amp to 50amp pigtail that is wired to tie in to both sides of the hot in the 50amp side that allows the whole panel to get power..... still knowing that I can only get 30 amps of power this way....

Sorry this is so long winded.... I have learned a lot about power and the way it's wired in the last 24 hrs. LOL

Thank you all for the help!!!!!

Crystal Miller
              Phil & Crystal

Comment

Crystal you will get a total of 50 amps. 30 out of the 30-amp socket and 20 out of the 20-amp(110) socket.
                Ted
                2021 Reflection 310RLS
                2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Crystal

The adaptor that you have 50 amp to 30 amp/20 amp is not the best to use in any case. The only time that it will work correctly is if the campground has wired their panel with 2 out of phase power lines. Most campgrounds with 30 amp will only have 1 available power line at the pedestal. They do sometimes alternate the 2 phase power throughout the campground. When there is only 30 amp most of the time the 20 amp receptacle beside it has the same phase power line so attaching that adapter will not yield 2 different lines of power needed for a true 50 amp RV. The only way to get that to work is to plug it in to 2 different pedestals that hopefully have 2 different phases of power. I would try not to use that adapter and only use a good 50 amp to 30 amp, or even 50 amp to 20 amp, and watch your usage inside the RV.

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

The 50 amp trailer has two power circuits, both 50 amp. Two hot lines, L1 and L2, and a common return, the neutral. If both pedestal receptacles are on the park L1, for instance, then the common neutral in the trailer cord could have to carry, worst case, 50 amps for which it is capable. L1 and L2 in the trailer never meet except to share the common neutral. There would not be a problem, it will work. If the fireplace and any other devices plugged into the gfci recetacles line draw more than 20 amps, the pedestal 20 amp breaker will pop open. Just like would happen if the other trailer circuit drew more than 30 amps, the pedestal 30 amp breaker would pop open.
                    Ted
                    2021 Reflection 310RLS
                    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Crystal, what you should consider is an adapter similar to https://www.amazon.com/TechnoRV-30-A...NsaWNrPXRydWU= this will limit you to 30 amps total in the camper but will simplify the hookup.

Be advised that with your current setup, you are limited to 30A on the primary (main AC, micro, etc) and 20A on the secondary (second AC, Fireplace, etc). in your unit.

In a true 50A dual phase setup, the camper is supplied with 50 amps of available power to each of the circuits. This means if not setup in a true dual phase, the pedestal neutral and the camper neutral must carry the combined load of both circuits. Typically a 50A camper runs on about 30 amps per leg (not always the case) or a total of about 60 amps.

This would be the ideal adapter, but you may find it hard to get the double TT30 receptacles on a pedestal. https://www.amazon.com/Parkworld-692...0-4513d670b6bc
                      Joseph
                      Tow
                      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                      X