Awning lights dim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awning lights dim

I have a 337RLS year 2018. The first time I turned on the front awning lights they dimmed after about 10seconds. I took it to the service department and they ran tests and couldn’t find anything wrong. Several months later i took my rig back and they tried a new LED strip and it still didn’t work. It’s been two years and nobody knows what’s wrong. Can you help?

Originally posted by Dave G View Post
    I have a 337RLS year 2018. The first time I turned on the front awning lights they dimmed after about 10seconds. I took it to the service department and they ran tests and couldn’t find anything wrong. Several months later i took my rig back and they tried a new LED strip and it still didn’t work. It’s been two years and nobody knows what’s wrong. Can you help?
    Hi Dave G--welcome to Grand Design's Technical Forum.

There's multiple folks here with a lot of technical know-how related to your issue. It would help them help you if you tell us how comfortable you are with troubleshooting electricity. Do you have a multimeter and know how to use it?

Again, welcome!
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I can use a multimeter

Comment

Originally posted by Dave G View Post
        I can use a multimeter
        Hello again. I'm away on family business so my time here is quite limited over the next several days. There's quite a few regulars here that will (hopefully) see this and lend their assistance.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Hi Dave G.

Trying a new strip of lights eliminates that section of the circuit as being the problem. My suspicion is that you have a high resistance connection somewhere in the circuit. The first place I'd check is the switch. I'd try removing the switch from the panel. Then, remove the connections from the switch. Next, use a jumper wire across the wires you removed to see if the lights burn brightly. If so, the switch is defective and should be replaced.

The next possibility is that there is a bad connection somewhere in the circuit. If it is making poor contact, it can reduce the voltage to the lights causing them to burn dimly. This will take some digging to try and find all the connections and check them out.

Jim
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Working...
          X