Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rig battery going dead

Hello all,
    I know this has been covered before but could yall be kind and help a feller out.

My rig battery goes dead after 6 hours on the road. I run the fridge on propane so I know there is a large draw there. I thought I read somewhere that there is a live 12v wire (blue wire?) in the 7 pin that goes to the battery.

I have not tested the battery yet. I picked up a new 29 series so I have a little more storage, (same price as 24 series)

I did a voltage check with the battery disconnected and 7 pin plugged in. I had zero volts. I also checked with the pickup running.

Any help would be appreciated.
    "No place to go, No hurry to get there"
    2019 GD Momentum 376 TH
    2015 Dodge 3500 Cummins
    2015 HD Ultra Classic Limited

Jeff Barta Sounds like an issue in your truck. I would check the fuse in the fusebox for the trailer charge circuit. I know the Fords do some crazy things where we need to be in drive with the door shut for it to come on, but I am not sure about Dodge. Make sure you are checking the right pins in the trailer plug of the truck as well. You want to be looking between 4 and 1 on the second image below, which would be 2:00 and 7:00 as you look at it. I have occasionally been in a hurry and looked at the pinout for the trailer plug which is reversed as you look at it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	181
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	111170
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Barta View Post
      Hello all,
      I know this has been covered before but could yall be kind and help a feller out.

My rig battery goes dead after 6 hours on the road. I run the fridge on propane so I know there is a large draw there. I thought I read somewhere that there is a live 12v wire (blue wire?) in the 7 pin that goes to the battery.

I have not tested the battery yet. I picked up a new 29 series so I have a little more storage, (same price as 24 series)

I did a voltage check with the battery disconnected and 7 pin plugged in. I had zero volts. I also checked with the pickup running.

Any help would be appreciated.
      A 7-pin tester is relatively inexpensive. Obviously a single-purpose tool, but makes it very easy. The one thing it won't measure is amperage. Below is one of many on Amazon. (The Mictuning brand caught my eye...)

https://www.amazon.com/MICTUNING-Bla.../dp/B07JKWKGFQ

Click image for larger version

Name:	tool.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	111174
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thank you every one
        2019 GD Momentum 376 TH
        2015 Dodge 3500 Cummins

Comment

You will have to find the right wire near your battery that comes from the 7 pin wire junction box under the pin box. This wire should be connected to one of the breakers near your battery. I have found that there is not a color code for this wire that GD uses, I have seen black, white with red stripe, so you will have to check.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thank you for the help. It ended up being fuse F30. I dont understand why they have to have 15 different styles of fuses.
            2019 GD Momentum 376 TH
            2015 Dodge 3500 Cummins

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Barta View Post
              Thank you for the help. It ended up being fuse F30. I dont understand why they have to have 15 different styles of fuses.
              Just for clarification of anyone seeing this down the road, I assume that fuse is in your truck?

Neil Citro
              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

yes sorry, i was a little exited to find it. It was in my fuse panel in my dodge. Power is only delivered when it runs, does not need to be in drive. Vehicle can be in park.
                2019 GD Momentum 376 TH
                2015 Dodge 3500 Cummins

Comment

Working...
                X