Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wago Connectors - Use on Electric Brake Wiring OK?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wago Connectors - Use on Electric Brake Wiring OK?

OK one last thing before the axles go in. I did a search but found nothing definite for this application. But you all know my search ability.
    https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...nnectors/page2 Good general opinions.
    https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ace-dead/page2 Post #29 had an issues with one
    There are others withe a tidbit mentioning the Wago

On various GD brand forums I keep seeing failures of the 3M - Scotch knife compression connectors, so I want to replace them on my unit.

This is what I am talking about
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1428s.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	112288 Inside the connector the wires are splice together whit what I call a knife splicer the cuts the insulation and makes contacts with the wires, in many cases cutting a few or many wires.. I have had theses fail on various circuits like the speaker wire runs.

In the past I have used crimp bulb connectors like these https://www.amazon.com/Closed-Crimp-...hvpos=&hvnetw= g&hvrand=5882874536078160121&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvq mt =&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9029145&h vt argid=pla-1201542502452&psc=1 They are available in heat shrink versions, but I have also covered with heat shrink tubing.

I also have been using Wago connectors lately https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GR8V4SV...t_details&th=1 I think GD is now suing them too. However they are not waterproof. But do they need to be above the coroplast, or do I need to get the WAGO Gelbox https://www.wago.com/us/discover-wir...lbox-from-wago

So any opinions on using the Wago on the electric brake wiring? I still need to trace it out looking for any chafing through the forward bulkhead. I have found some minor chafing on the red cover elsewhere

Thanks in advance for your thoughts
    Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

I wouldn’t use them alone. They aren’t weatherproof at all. You can get a gel box to cover them, but availability in North America seems slim.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Yoda From a current standpoint the WAGOs will be fine, but I would want a waterproof connection there, even above the coroplast. I would either use their Gelbox (good find I had never seen that before) or go another route. Heat shrink butt splices with extra heat shrink over top is the first thing that comes to mind, but not meant for more than two conductors, and they get messy if you have different wire sizes involved. Honestly if you are handy with an iron I would probably solder them and then heat shrink over top of the solder connection and a bigger heat shrink over the whole mess. Odds you need to remove the splice are pretty limited (replacing the brakes I guess) and thats the best connection.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I'll second the solder idea followed by liquid tape then shrink tube.
        Ted
        2021 Reflection 310RLS
        2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

TedS ncitro Jkwilson

I am lousy at soldering. So I either need to find a gell box for the wago or use a closed end crimp terminal with heat shrink tubing, or plane ferrule and heat shrink tubing. However I am having trouble finding a chart of what size closed end terminal or ferrule is needed for three wires, say 3- 14 awg, 2-12 awg and 1-14 awg, or 3 - 10 awg if I replace the brake wiring. Just trying to plan ahead. At the brakes I am using heat shrink spade terminals with heat shrink tubing over the connection, so the wiring can be taken apart to replace magnets if needed.

Thanks for the help

Keith
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

This from GB.

Name:	Screenshot_20230515_104937_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	112300
            ​​​​​​​
            Ted
            2021 Reflection 310RLS
            2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Yoda I understand, its a skill for sure. Then I think one of those is your best bet.
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
                Yoda I understand, its a skill for sure. Then I think one of those is your best bet.
                What if I dipped the Wago connector in liquid electrical tape a few times? https://www.homedepot.com/p/Star-bri...105N/206513457

Comment

Yoda I have used that many time, mainly with soldered connections or butt splices. I would not trust that it would completely seal the wago, and honestly would defeat one of its main purposes (easily removable). I would go another path.

Neil Citro

Comment

Heat shrink butt connectors would be better than the Wago connector, in my mind.

Brian
                    Brian & Michelle
                    2018 Reflection 29RS
                    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                      Heat shrink butt connectors would be better than the Wago connector, in my mind.

Brian
                      Thanks Brian, but it is a mid line connection for 3 wires to the first brake axle, 1 in, 1 out, and one to axle. I checked the 10 butt connector I have and they wont accommodate the 3 #14 wires twisted together, in fact just two in one end is not a good fit either. I am trying to replace the 3M scotch connector in post #1

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
                        Yoda I have used that many time, mainly with soldered connections or butt splices. I would not trust that it would completely seal the wago, and honestly would defeat one of its main purposes (easily removable). I would go another path.
                        Thanks Neil, but in this case I should never need to disconnect them at this location. I was hoping. I could put a big heat shrink tube over the whole WAGO 3 wire connector with silicone inside and heat shrink the hole thing down?

Keith

Comment

Yoda

I don’t think heat shrink over a Wago connector is going to work very well. Heat shrink over a crimped butt connector will work if you put a dab of silicone between the wires on the “two wire” end of the butt connector before heating the shrink wrap.

Rob
                          Cate & Rob
                          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                          2015 Reflection 303RLS
                          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
                            OK one last thing before the axles go in. I did a search but found nothing definite for this application. But you all know my search ability.
                            https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...nnectors/page2 Good general opinions.
                            https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ace-dead/page2 Post #29 had an issues with one
                            There are others withe a tidbit mentioning the Wago

On various GD brand forums I keep seeing failures of the 3M - Scotch knife compression connectors, so I want to replace them on my unit.

This is what I am talking about
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1428s.jpg Views:	32 Size:	118.5 KB ID:	112288 Inside the connector the wires are splice together whit what I call a knife splicer the cuts the insulation and makes contacts with the wires, in many cases cutting a few or many wires.. I have had theses fail on various circuits like the speaker wire runs.

In the past I have used crimp bulb connectors like these https://www.amazon.com/Closed-Crimp-...hvpos=&hvnetw= g&hvrand=5882874536078160121&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvq mt =&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9029145&h vt argid=pla-1201542502452&psc=1 They are available in heat shrink versions, but I have also covered with heat shrink tubing.

I also have been using Wago connectors lately https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GR8V4SV...t_details&th=1 I think GD is now suing them too. However they are not waterproof. But do they need to be above the coroplast, or do I need to get the WAGO Gelbox https://www.wago.com/us/discover-wir...lbox-from-wago

So any opinions on using the Wago on the electric brake wiring? I still need to trace it out looking for any chafing through the forward bulkhead. I have found some minor chafing on the red cover elsewhere

Thanks in advance for your thoughts
                            Keith
                            what about something like this? It may solve the connection issue since it can be used for stranded and solid copper per the specs. Can you just silicone around the lid and ports?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/AlumiCon...25-0/204071423

Name:	image.png
Views:	287
Size:	323.0 KB
ID:	112325
                            2022 Reflection 150 Series 280RS, 2022 GMC 3500 Denali crew cab 4x4 6.6L Turbo Diesel, empty wallet.

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

Brian
                              This is the correct option.....
                              2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                              Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Working...
                              X